Complimentary Upgrade Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrade Stories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
A few times on domestic flights on US Airways (when you had to use 500-mile upgrade coupons to upgrade) and now on AA, due to coach being oversold.

AA has always deducted 500-mile upgrades from my account even when it is a pure operational upgrade that I did not request, though!

I was also given a free "upgrade" by a fellow passenger. He wanted to sit in coach with his wife, and I was in an exit row, so he traded and got the exit row seat and I got the FC seat. When he first asked to trade, I probably wasn't too friendly (figuring that he wanted my exit row seat in exchange for a regular coach seat), so I've learned my lesson always to be friendly. I let a couple of regular coach passengers into the airline lounge the next day, trying to help others, just as I was helped.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
When I was in university, I got one free upgrade to business class. It was a 2.5 hour flight, so nothing too special (better seat and a hot meal), but it seemed pretty cool at the time. Unfortunately, that was over 20 years ago and I'm still waiting for a repeat
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
this is cheating a bit ... when I was about to graduate from college I interviewed for a job with Northwest in Minneapolis, and they informed me after I arrived in Minneapolis that I am entitled to first class...so I flew first class back to college in upstate New York
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Years ago at BRU, Delta had so badly oversold Y to JFK that instead of upgrade names being read, the announcement was "All elites to the podium NOW!"
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec. Plat
Got delayed in DUB recently and missed my connect in LHR to MCO. The rebook was on AA metal so I called and asked to use a SWU, person on the phone said no, that it was impossible.

Had a bit of a layover so went to the lounge and on a whim asked the person at the desk, who took a look at my situation, said there were loads of seats and that it would be no problem. I assumed that I would be charged the SWU, but they never took it out of my acct.

I don't know if was complimentary on her part, or just a system snafu, but I choose to believe it's the former.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:20 am

I have two.

First was on Delta a few years ago. My original flight was cancelled due to weather, and Delta rebooked me into a combination of first and Businesselite to LHR.

And the second was on BA and it was an op-up from premium economy to first from LHR to ORD. While that flight was fantastic, it did confirm for me that I wouldn't ever pay for international first. Because while the service was great I didn't think the hard product was that much better than many business cabins (with lay flat seats) I've flown in. However, I'll happily take a free upgrade!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:34 pm

Summer 2000 I was SFO-YVR-HKG on AC in J, get to the airport and the check-in agent lets me know the flight to Vancouver would be delayed and I'd miss my connection. Before I could even ask what they'd do for me she informed me that they put me on the Singapore Air flight in J, so upgrade to a better airline, just had to wait at SFO for 4-6 extra hours.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I think I got one (along with my mother and sister) on flying PDX-ONT on AS back in the '90s when I was but a wee lad and my dad was an MVP Gold. Finally had it happen again just yesterday, though. I had a PDX-BUR/LAX-PDX trip scheduled for today but had to postpone it given the weather here in Portland. Even though I'd selected new Y seats on the phone with the reservation agent, though, I got my new confirmation email and saw that I'd already been upgraded for both flights.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:39 am

I've never been upgraded a class. However, twice in the last few weeks I was given what was clearly a premium economy seat (LOADS of legroom while most other seats were sardine mode) without asking nor paying for it.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:52 am

When my sons were about 16 and 17, probably flying home from camp counseling, my 16 yr old had broken his foot. The painful foot was wrapped up and he was on crutches.

I got a call from them as they got to their seat- "MOM YOU ROCK! You got us first class seats you are amazing!!!" While I enjoyed being a heroine in their eyes, I told them that my younger son's injury, some empty seats, and a very kind boarding agent combined to get these two boys their first First Class experience. I told them be polite and just thank everyone!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:39 pm

My one and only freebie was a UA flight from DEN to MSP. The gate agent called me to the podium and asked to see my boarding pass. This was in days before I flew regularly, so frankly I was concerned that I'd done something wrong. The agent said "I'm going to have to change your seat". Again, at the time I wasn't an experienced flyer so I didn't think to question anything. Next thing I knew, the GA says " I put you in FC - hope that's okay!" Okay? I thought I'd hit the lottery! I did ask why I got picked - turns out that they needed to seat two people together (mother and child?) in coach and the easiest way to make that work was to move a solo flier to First. It isn't often that single people gets perks, so I was glad to take advantage when the opportunity presented itself!

Last edited by DarcyMae; Mar 21, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:19 pm

Some twenty years ago JFK to NRT economy to first on JAL. Airline switched equipment, TA never notified us about separate seats, upgraded at the gate.
Second time Emirates DXB to IAD economy to business.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Nuff Said
My first op-up was back in February 1999 on a China Airlines flight, which was operated by a Mandarin Airlines aircraft, from Amsterdam to Bangkok. I had booked a Y-C upgrade using a voucher earned after accumulating a certain number of miles, then was further upgraded to F at the gate. The aircraft, MD11 B150, crash landed at Hong Kong six months later.

My second was a bit of a strange one, as I was upgraded many hours before the flight concerned. Itinerary BKK-DXB-LGW with Emirates in July 2004, and I was just a lowly Skywards Blue. On checking in at Bangkok my seat allocation for the DXB-LGW sector was in row 8, a low number for what was a three class 332. A quick check of the seat plan in the EK timetable showed row 8 to be business, and that’s what I got. I always travel smartly dressed, am sure the agent inputted me as suitable for upgrade, and the system told her to do just that.

Who says appearance doesn’t matter? It did with these. In July 2005 I switched to Qatar. I was about 10m from the gate for my flight to Bangkok when the lady who was staffing the lane I was approaching prodded her male colleague. He, who must have been the senior of the two, looked up, nodded and the rest is history. Just three months later I was on the same flight, this time I had passed through the gate and was standing near to it when a member of Qatar’s staff, who by appearance was of supervisory status, asked to see my boarding pass. On seeing it he told me to wait there as he would put me in business class. On both occasions I was again smartly dressed, and was picked out for upgrade for that alone.

Since then I have had a bucket load of op-ups with Qatar. Some on overbooked flights at peak periods such as Christmas and New Year, but others were accommodating passengers who had missed connections at Doha, resulting an what was an under-booked flight becoming oversubscribed in Y to cater for them.
I say apprearance ( or at least way of dressing doesnt matter ) I am 100% sure they "system" does not get told you are suiatble or othewise !!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:22 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Was upgraded once in 2014 flying OZ ICN - NRT from business to first at the gate. I used united miles to book this segment (no airline status). The upper deck (747) where I was suppose to sit was empty! To this day, I have no idea why I was upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.