Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Coffee creamers under pressure

Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite

thought it might be fun to hear any stories on the opening and unintended projection of pressurized coffee creamers at altitude in flight. I think the flight attendants give them to people purposely knowing that they may not know they will explode once cracked open.

I certainly have it down on how to get it aimed in the cup, but I remember early in my flying days I opened one and it shot all across the hands and lap of the guy next to me - woke him up from his snooze. It was embarrassing but funny

Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Puncture with fork before opening. This procedure also applies to opening yogurt and salad dressing containers.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NWstu
Puncture with fork before opening. This procedure also applies to opening yogurt and salad dressing containers.
Yogurt is especially bad. I know to hold the side you open away from me and to do it very, very slowly to let the pressure out first. Still hit or miss.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by milepig
Yogurt is especially bad. I know to hold the side you open away from me and to do it very, very slowly to let the pressure out first. Still hit or miss.
But in that case, "hit" is bad, and "miss" is better.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
But in that case, "hit" is bad, and "miss" is better.
Unless you've aimed it at an obnoxious row mate.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: aa gold
I don't use cream in my coffee. But I've had many mishaps with the salad dressing. Even after puncture. Mabe its user error. Most likely
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
creamers are the worst IMO - way worse than the yogurts or salad dressing - because they are a lighter liquid - that stuff really shoots out of there. I have to aim down into the cup. actually surprised I don't hear of more incidents with them!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
A lesson I learned the hard way........wearing a navy blue sweater
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Suggestion to those who try to pry the top open carefully while making sure the opening is pointed away from them and toward something neutral: read post #2. I always do that. It works like a charm; utterly foolproof; much easier. (Note to nerds: pressure is relieved while the fork tine still blocks the opening. Air gets out, cream/yogurt/salad dressing doesn't.)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Efrem
Suggestion to those who try to pry the top open carefully while making sure the opening is pointed away from them and toward something neutral: read post #2. I always do that. It works like a charm; utterly foolproof; much easier. (Note to nerds: pressure is relieved while the fork tine still blocks the opening. Air gets out, cream/yogurt/salad dressing doesn't.)
I do this regardless of where I am. Point the opening away from myself and others. Salad dressing is the worst because of the oil.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
no fork when you have just creamer! maybe stir straw can puncture....I'll try it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.