Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airplane carry-on question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Airplane carry-on question

Hope this is the right section to ask in! I'm taking a multi-country trip soon and wanted to get some input on the carry-on.

I'll have a backpack that fits the carry-on dimensions, that will largely house all my camera gear just because there is no way I'm checking it.

In addition to that, I was planning to bring a large purse for things like laptop, documents, other smaller misc items. This would later double as a 2nd smaller camera bag on my trip. This 2nd item isn't a rigid structure, but the exterior dimensions are listed as: 15.5L x 11.5H x 4D.

Now this setup comfortably fits Air Canada's carry-on rules:
https://beta.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco.../carry-on.html

Later, I fly both ANA and Asiana:
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...age/?menu=rule
https://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/homepa...0&menuType=CMS

They seem more restrictive and don't list dimensions of the additional "personal article", but say things like:
- Small suitcases, handbooks, laptops, books and small duty-free goods
- Handbags, laptops, cameras, umbrellas, etc.

Is there any difference in the fact this was booked in 1 multi-city flight trip, and that Air Canada is my first flight? What could I do if I did have issues with these other airlines? Will I even likely have issues...?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this isn't technology related, I'll move it to TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The airline on which you take your first flight determines how your checked bags are handled, what you are charged for checking them (if anything) and what you're allowed to carry onto the plane.

Unfortunately, from that point on carry-on limits are determined by the gate agents of each flight. They understand that some passengers may be connecting from flights with more liberal carry-on limits than theirs, but the only thing that gets you is a few words of sympathy if they're not too busy. You will have to conform to their more restrictive carry-on limits. Anything that does not qualify as carry-on baggage, as they interpret their employer's rules, will have to be gate-checked. You'll get a receipt for it and will pick it up at the jetway or planeside on arrival. You'll then take it to your next gate, where the process will repeat in some fashion. Each segment is independent in that regard. How they were booked is irrelevant.

That said, from your description of what you'll have, I expect you'll be OK unless you exceed a per-bag weight limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.