Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was airline travel in the 80's like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was airline travel in the 80's like?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I know it no longer is possible, but I certainly miss pulling up in a cab, getting out, and walking right straight to my gate. No "be at the airport 2 hours early."

A story to show how much and how quickly things changed.

On 9/13 I tried to fly AAR-CPH-ORD. Europe hadn't yet figured out changes for internal flights and I walked right onto the plane at AAR with no inspection whatsoever. At CPH they originally boarded us onto the ORD flight before scrubbing the mission. Again, there was zero inspection during the transfer.

3 days later at my delayed departure from CPH we were practically strip searched.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
- meals in Y weren't just hot, but you got asked if you wanted the chicken or the beef (or whatever the two options were)
but they were still mostly pretty awful. Usually overcooked and oversalted. I prefer the BoB that they have today over the food then. It was something of a game to figure out which special meals were better and call and order them.

Originally Posted by milepig
No "be at the airport 2 hours early."
I still don't show up at the airport 2 hours early - outbound I generally aim to hit the parking lot about an hour before my flight time, and the gate just as they announce boarding. Return it depends on where I am and what ground transport is like, but 1 hour is still typical. And I don't have precheck.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrisl137
but they were still mostly pretty awful. Usually overcooked and oversalted. I prefer the BoB that they have today over the food then. It was something of a game to figure out which special meals were better and call and order them.
+1. In the '80's, everybody complained about how bad airline food was. It was reliable material for stand-up comics everywhere.

To me, a genuine enhancement in the 21st century is that *most* airports that are large enough to originate long-haul flights also happen to have good food options in the terminal. If you're flying Y, you can usually bring something pretty decent onboard.

I still don't show up at the airport 2 hours early - outbound I generally aim to hit the parking lot about an hour before my flight time, and the gate just as they announce boarding. Return it depends on where I am and what ground transport is like, but 1 hour is still typical. And I don't have precheck.
I cut it about that close at airports I know very well. But for ones I don't, it's usually about 2 hours early, especially if there's an exit immigration check. Although to be honest, I probably always did this...behavior hasn't changed by more than a few minutes due to changes at security checkpoints.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Reds2011
Forget about the 80's! This perfectly describes a flight Mrs Reds2011 & I took less than 3 years ago. On our way AUH-MAN-ORD.

AUH-MAN was standard EY fare, but MAN-ORD was on an AA 757 held together with duct tape, which I thought was going to self destruct on takeoff.

It was like going back in time, and not in a good way. Our daughter who was 6 at the time had only ever flown on QF/EY/SQ/QR etc and was extremely unimpressed. She asked me how she could get the kids channel on there!

The best part came when the FA was dishing out AA's excuse for a meal and my daughter piped up and asked "Why don't you have screens in the back of the seat like every other airplane does?" The freezing look she got, along with me, would have shamed Elsa from Frozen.

Also memorable for being the only international flight I have ever taken in ~28 years where I was expected to pay for liquor. Beer was complimentary but spirits were not.
I know what you mean! Sometimes you have to leave the US to appreciate that there are still airlines in the world that have civilized service. I was in Brazil a few months back and had the pleasure of flying on a domestic Avianca flight..short too. GIG to GRU, maybe 35 minutes.

I was utterly stunned..IFE in each seat, free drinks, and a hot lunch. US domestic air travel has really lowered the bar.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: Independent
A big difference is where things are located in regards to security. At one point airports were designed for people meeting and sending off family and friends. Concessions and services were offered per-security, and there were plenty f places to wait. Most airports had some kind of observation area, whether that was in a tower or just a window overlooking the runway. These days pre-security offerings are slim to none, while post-security is becoming more and more a shopping mall.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
The last flight we took before everything changed was HOU-TUC.

We came off the plane into the terminal and DH's mom, 2 sisters and nephew were waiting for us.

I had forgotten about that until reading this thread.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
The last flight we took before everything changed was HOU-TUC.

We came off the plane into the terminal and DH's mom, 2 sisters and nephew were waiting for us.

I had forgotten about that until reading this thread.
Yeah. We lived close to ORD and my mom would frequently travel from GRR to LAX via ORD. I'd meet her at the ORD gate to be sure she got to the next gate as she was a bit, um, vague by that point in her life.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nerd
That's equal to around $6,000, so yes, that's a lot of money relative to what most people would be able to afford, even today.
I'm not sure where you get that figure. I mentioned, earlier, $300 transcon tickets on TWA in 1980. According to this, that's only $869 today, or about 2-1/2 times as much.

http://www.in2013dollars.com/1980-do...016?amount=300

Would I pay $869 for a transcon today that offers the same amenities, comfort and convenience as what I used to experience? Almost certainly.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
To me, a genuine enhancement in the 21st century is that *most* airports that are large enough to originate long-haul flights also happen to have good food options in the terminal. If you're flying Y, you can usually bring something pretty decent onboard.
I think our definitions of "good food" and "decent food" may differ rather dramatically.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Those mixed BA cabins of smokers and non smokers. As soon as the light went out puffff and then bing as all the non smokers asked why everyone was smoking.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
That was a very welcome transition that started in the late 80s! In the 70s, airport food (at least at DTW) was about like Woolworths, but it sat longer. It was a big deal when airports started getting regular fast-food places, with the sit-down, cooked-to-order meals an even more welcome improvement.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
Oh, anyone remember the classified ads in newspapers where people resold airline tickets? "APRIL 7, Delta 10:30 AM New York to Phoenix, FEMALE". There were no ID checks for domestic tickets, only the gender had to match, which was an advantage if you had a gender-neutral name like "Pat".
I once flew on another person's ticket this way. I even made sure he earned miles!

Other fun facts:

1. In the late 1970's and early 1980's Eastern Airlines offered an Unlimited Mileage Fare allowing 3 weeks of travel for about $300. I bought those two years and flew all over the Caribbean and the US. It was mileage running before flights earned miles.

2. Continental offered a "Get up and Go" Passport for seniors. For $1795 you could fly once a week, anywhere, for a year. I met a guy who said he bought two of them so he could fly round trip each week. This was 1988 and he earned triple miles for all those flights!!

3. As its financial condition weakened, Eastern offered lifetime Ionosphere Club memberships for $700, or $900 including a spouse. I bought one. Continental took over the obligation, and now it's a rare United Club lifetime membership.

4. In 1979 I paid $19 for a Pan Am 747 repositioning flight between SFO and LAX. There were only 7 people on it. Next time I saved $6 more by flying standby.

6. People Express flew 747's transcon but their galleys had no stoves. They served cold steak in First Class. The North Terminal in Newark was third world.

Last edited by nsx; Sep 22, 2016 at 8:07 pm
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
- There were Tu-134/154 and Yak-40/42 planes as a backbone of fleet. Tu-154 was considered luxury, comparing to Yak. What I remember (it was >30 years ago) they've been extremely loud. Overhead bins were really small - you could put a briefcase there and nothing more. And they have been open.

- Tu-134 IIRC had quite unusual seats at bulkhead: there two rear-faced seats and there was a table in between, so like the compartment at trains.

- Here is a blog post (in Russian) with pictures of Soviet planes in 60s/70s/80s, starting from photo #34.
My parents made several trips to/around the SU in the 80's. From one of those trips there is a photo of my Mom and the woman seated next to her who happened to be holding a basket with 3 live chickens. Elsewhere on the plane were several piglets, but Dad didn't manage to get a photo of them. I think that flight was to somewhere in Georgia.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Gosh, this brings back some memories. Especially the mention of smoking. I remember checking in for a flight on a Chinese airline (I forget which) in China back in the day when a large proportion of the population smoked like chimneys. I checked in, and then suddenly remembered as the agent passed over my boarding pass that I hadn't specified a non-smoking seat. So I smiled sweetly, handed my boarding pass back and asked for a non-smoking seat. Wordlessly, she took a rubber stamp from the side of her desk and stamped "No Smoking" on the boarding pass. So, hey presto!! I was in my very own little non-smoking section, precisely the size of my seat! Not that it would have made much difference - as someone once commented, having a no-smoking area in an aeroplane (he actually said restaurant, but the same applies) is like having a no-pissing area in a swimming-pool...

I remember interminable queues to check in (no bypassing that with online check-in), keeping your fingers crossed for decent seats or having to arrive indecently early to get them (my grandmother always insisted on arriving hours before departure in order to get an exit row seat), having to take books or puzzles to entertain oneself* or listen to one of the 12 audio channels on stethoscope-style headphones or if you were lucky watching the "main screen" film shown with a three-colour overhead projector (one of the colours was always misaligned), and for some bizarre reason every meal seeming to include canned tuna. Maybe that's just because I hate canned tuna. Oh, and on some airlines, the stewardesses (as they then were) coming round with baskets of boiled sweets before take-off and landing to help your ears pop.

On the other hand, as mentioned above, there was a glamour and novelty to flying that made it special. No bad behaviour, and a certain pathetic gratitude on the part of the passengers that they were getting any service at all.

Flying at the pointy end was a real privilege, and nobody needed to ask DYKWIA.

I loved it. I still love flying, but for very different reasons!

* Edited to add: Oh yes, someone above mentioned playing cards!! My family still regularly use a pack of playing cards from Singapore Airlines, which lives in our car and is hauled out each time we go to lunch so that we can play a game while waiting for our meal to arrive :-)
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by nsx
I once flew on another person's ticket this way
With LCC in Asia one can do name change with fee. Quite common to see messages at travel forums here in Singapore 'Selling Jetstar flights to XXX, will pay for name change fee'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.