Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was airline travel in the 80's like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What was airline travel in the 80's like?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Paper tickets and that red carbon backing.

At some airports, seats being manually assigned at check in using stickers from a seat map, which I remember for a TWA 747 at ATH.

Calling at midnight to request an upgrade and having it confirmed immediately.

Being mailed a paper brochure of the FF T&C with renewal credentials every year and carrying the wallet card summary in order to argue that I had purchased an upgradeable fare. Shena happened then too.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I took my first flight in 1989, so near the end of the era OP is asking about, but far enough back to experience how very different things were at the time:

1) Start with how you'd book a ticket. There were no web travel sites or smartphone apps back then; you'd either call a travel agent to do everything for you or you'd open the phone book to find the 1-800 numbers for the airlines and then spend at least half an hour sitting at a table calling around and jotting down flight numbers, departure and arrival times, and costs on a piece of note paper before deciding.

2) A few days later your paper ticket would arrive in the mail. You'd better not lose it! Paper tickets were treated with the same care you'd treat a wad of cash... more care, actually, because cash can be folded and unfolded countless times and still be used.

3) Airports weren't as crowded as they are today. That meant shorter lines for everything and very little combat mentality of people jockeying for position.

4) Smoking. I joined the jet set recently enough that I was able to avoid having to be on smoking flights. And thank gawd because second-hand smoke in confined spaces sickens me pretty badly. (I know what it's like because in the 70s and 80s "second-hand smoke in confined spaces" described pretty much everywhere in the public sphere.)

5) "In-flight entertainment" meant you brought your own newspapers, magazines, or books. Or you watched the movie. As in, the one movie on the one screen in the entire cabin. Which you rarely could see well.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by AlastairGordon
Oh, anyone remember the classified ads in newspapers where people resold airline tickets? "APRIL 7, Delta 10:30 AM New York to Phoenix, FEMALE". There were no ID checks for domestic tickets, only the gender had to match, which was an advantage if you had a gender-neutral name like "Pat".
Considering that in the 80's a one-way ticket could easily cost 4x of a RT, some of us found selling the return portion of a ticket to be a great deal. Oh, and gender didn't have to match - I have a definitely feminine first name and usually sold my return ticket to guys. My part of the ticket would be BOS-SFO and then I'd post a card on the bulletin board of a college near my home and sell the return to some other college student going the other way.

Originally Posted by Josh1780
I personally think it's a very good thing that you must have a ticket to go through security nowadays. I'm sure it worked in the past due to less people flying, but with how crowded airports are today it would probably turn most airports into complete zoos, which many already are.
It's not just the number of people flying, it's also how much time each person spends in the airport. In the 80's I'd arrive at the airport about 45 minutes before flight time, security, if there was any, was a WTMD, and there were no boarding wars because people checked bags. Post 9/11 I try to get to the airport at least 2 hours before boarding time to allow for security, post-security beverage purchase, etc. If you have the same number of people spending twice as long in an airport it will feel more crowded because you'll have double the number of bodies in airport/hour.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For entertainment, airlines supplied a variety of magazines.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
It was 1992. I was 14 (and looked 20).

I was a UM (although not officially documented as such) on Air Lanka (the forerunner of today's UL), flying MEL-CMB-LGW in a Lockheed Tristar, with technical stops at DXB (I think, or it may have been AUH or BAH) and IST.

Having scavenged a couple of small plastic cups of beer with the meal service, I was overjoyed to be served a shot of cognac with the coffee afterwards. At 14, I felt quite the man-about-town, with my brandy and the cigarette I had bummed from my seat-mate, along with the FA bringing me another cognac.

I was in Y, of course, but to my 14yo self, I was in heaven.

Those were the days, my friend. We thought they'd never end.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Paper tickets and that red carbon backing.
Remember when every surface on the airline side of things was red because of the tickets? Same with travel agencies?

Phones, keyboards, counters, etc. Everything had a layer of red on it.

Sometimes you can still spot really old furniture/equipment at the airport when you see it stained red.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
In the 80's planes were generally faster. Seriously. The 727 was stupidly fast, as was the Trident. Oh, they burned more fuel, made more noise, and broke down more, but you got where you were going quickly. There was Concorde as well (this also lasted through the 90's in an ever-dwindling service). As I said earlier, speed was traded for volume. More butts in seats means more profit, and slower speed saves fuel which also means more profit.
Not really. Most aircraft flew at about the same speed as now. Some were a little faster, like the B727.
What has changed a lot is the time from closing to the aircraft door to wheels up and wheels down to the aircraft door opening. On ground congestion/time has increased a lot.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Flying in the 80's was great. Flights weren't so full like now, and often I could get a row to myself on a DC-10 for red-eye flights from Hawaii. Even had DC-10 operations between DEN-COS.

Seemed to get a meal on most flights, chicken or beef, which at the time seemed bad, but I would gladly take it today.

Airlines focused operations on the destination, UA FA's had different uniforms and the music during boarding was Hawaiian for example.

Security was so easy, with some of my scuba gear always part of my carry on, of which included a fancy multi knife that was rarely a concern.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Amex Green got students one $99 round trip per year.

We were all pre-check.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:32 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by Visconti

Flying was an event and part of the vacation. Getting on a jet plane was something a family looked forward and was part of the experience. Back then, family and friends can actually (no crazy security then) see you to the Gate, and meet you upon arrival! Imagine, de-boarding and immediately seeing your family/friends who are there to pick you up!

We didn't have all these intricate rules (there weren't many abusers back then) and everyone was very nice and friendly. There wasn't a need to define every rule/regulation since most simply acted within the dictates of generally accepted etiquette.

Unlike now, where we must a rule for everything.
Yes this is what I remember.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
My first commercial flight was in 1959, CRP-SFO.

Yeah, I'm older than dirt.

First flight was in a private plane.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Yup, the good ol' days

My first international flight was in 1983, from YYZ to AMS on KL. My father bought me the ticket as a college graduation gift. I remember that the price was C$720, which is not a whole lot less than you might pay today for the same flight. The plane (a 747) was crowded and I got lucky with a window seat. Didn't sleep much but I remember looking over the UK as we started our descent. It was fascinating to see Europe for the first time, from the air. Nowadays I'm back in Toronto and fly to Europe once or twice a month on business, sometimes to AMS and sometimes on KL. It's like taking the city bus to work, even though it's in J these days.

I also recall a flight in April of 1988, on NW (remember them??) from SFO to NRT. Long flight on a 747. I was in the back of course, a backpacker. It was almost empty. At one point I got up to stretch my legs, and walked to the back of the plane, past row after row of empty seats, through the smoking section. There was a Japanese "sarariman" sitting in a window seat, smoking, looking out the window, all alone, with nothing but an ocean of empty seats around him. I'm exaggerating of course but not much! Amazing to think of planes flying that empty in the context of today's reality.

One more memory: on every flight in every class there was always a free meal, even on relatively short domestic flights. I was a skinny 20-something with a huge appetite, and one meal was never enough. So I always used to ask for another one. And I don't recall a single flight when they didn't have an extra one to give me.

Yup, those were the days.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you just want to listen to the in-flight movie, you could lie down and listen to it through the pneumatic headphone ports in the arm rests.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Those meals in coach were served using ceramic dishes, glassware, and metal flatware - no plastic to be found. A number of years ago (1990s or early 2000s) my mom and sister found some of those airline dishes (new; I think they were Delta) for sale in a salvage store.

Airlines were still transitioning to the hub-and-spoke model, so there were routes that you won't see today, left over from the old point-to-point system.

There were more airlines, too, and their route networks weren't as large as today's post-merger carriers, so if you were flying between smaller cities and/or from one region of the country to another, there was a good chance your itinerary would be on two or more carriers.

And those carriers might have included regional ("commuter") airlines that operated under their own identity, branding, and livery rather than as the Delta Connection, United Express, or American Eagle.

Flight attendants gave out pin-on wings to children (and big kids who asked nicely!). Over time the pins were replaced with adhesive (part of the "making childhood safe for children" movement) and eventually the wings were eliminated altogether. In recent years they have made a comeback, and just this summer AA became the last of the big US carriers to reinstate them.

My first flight was as a teenager in 1980, on Eastern. The first leg included a stop in Montgomery, AL, on the way to Atlanta, where we changed to an L1011 bound for Buffalo. I still remember the novelty of dinner service up in the air, although I have long forgotten the menu (but I think it was beef).
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA
Question

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
There were more airlines, too, and their route networks weren't as large as today's post-merger carriers, so if you were flying between smaller cities and/or from one region of the country to another, there was a good chance your itinerary would be on two or more carriers.

And those carriers might have included regional ("commuter") airlines that operated under their own identity, branding, and livery rather than as the Delta Connection, United Express, or American Eagle.
Were flights cheaper because of the competition? Or more expensive or just the same in spite of it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.