Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people insist on standing before boarding even starts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Why do people stop at the end of the jetway or moving walkway? Why do people in the last boarding group lice the gate 20 minutes before F boards? Why do people barge onto elevators before people even have a chance to get off? The answer is the same to all of these burning questions.
Why do group one passengers take 5 minutes each to, basically, sit down (possibly while stowing a bag overhead)?

Alas another one of life's great questions.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by chrisl137
This.

Plus the PA system at many gates is so bad that you can't hear what group they're calling (or even if they're calling) unless you're off the main walkway and into the gate area (where there are insufficient seats). Otherwise I'd sit at an empty gate nearby.
And there's a tendency to shove active gates together to save on labor costs even when there is at ton of open terminal space where the airline could spread out (see BNA) so you want to be sure you're hearing the correct pa info, such as it is, instead of the info for the next gate over.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
1. I want to stand for 1/2 hour or so before sitting on the plane.

2. Standing in the seating area is uncomfortable as you seem to be looming over the people sitting

3. Standing in the aisle of the airport is not wise as you block traffic walking by

So, why not stand in the designated area for my boarding group? I fly mostly United, so if I am in Group 2 and standing in the Group 2 area, how am I causing anyone in Group 1 or First Class or pre-boarding or even crew boarding any kind of problem?

What I don't understand personally is sitting until the last minute to board quickly and sit again for the duration of the flight. I really don't want to sit that long so I prefer to stand. Even on the flight, I will choose an aisle as I like to stand from time to time. I for one am glad when there is a line for the washrooms as it allows me to stand longer.

Please don't call me 'gate lice' or other such names. As long as I am not in the way, it really is none of your business why I or anyone else prefers to stand before boarding.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachmouse
And there's a tendency to shove active gates together to save on labor costs even when there is at ton of open terminal space where the airline could spread out (see BNA) so you want to be sure you're hearing the correct pa info, such as it is, instead of the info for the next gate over.
I had an extreme case of that at BWI maybe a dozen years ago. Four UA flights with too many people in a too-small gate area without distinct boundaries between the gates all boarding at once. People were intermingled at the edges, and they would announce rows but not for which flight. They were close enough in boarding times that it was nearly impossible to tell, so people were just smooshing towards their flight.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by rxziebel
2. Standing in the seating area is uncomfortable as you seem to be looming over the people sitting

This is a hilarious visual.

I'm curious if us FTers can make this a thing to see if it catches on.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH, AY, HHonors Gold
Back in Europe a couple of years ago (when pretty much all normal carriers had a checked bag included in the price - most still do), my normal practice was to get in line when there were 10-20 people left in it. I figured I was going to get to sit in the plane quite enough, why do it any more than I had to? I couldn't understand why priority boarding for elites was a thing. I would have considered it a luxury perk to be allowed to board at the last minute.

When I moved to the US, it was clear enough that the rush to board was mainly because people were racing for the overhead space. The planes simply aren't designed for the situation where everyone is bringing on board their maximum carry-on allowance.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Cuing for overhead bin space.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:59 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
You mean that bigger overhead bins are needed?

Some Alaska Airlines aircraft have these larger bins, but not everyone orients their carry-on bags properly to use them space-efficiently.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by tjl
You mean that bigger overhead bins are needed?

Some Alaska Airlines aircraft have these larger bins, but not everyone orients their carry-on bags properly to use them space-efficiently.
If that's a normal overhead bin, either she's a professional basketball player moonlighting as a model, or (more likely, from the position of her waist) she's standing on a stepstool. Didn't know airlines provided those to help people get their bags into and out of the bins, but it's been a while since I flew on Alaska.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:24 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In general, I wish my luggage bound for the overhead bin could board before me. Definitely prefer standing/walking than sitting.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by tjl
Adding slim dividers to match the max allowed size might work wonders!
Old Sep 19, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Apart from the overhead bin space etc. I like to stand as I will likely be sitting for the next 2-14 hours....
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:48 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Efrem
If that's a normal overhead bin, either she's a professional basketball player moonlighting as a model, or (more likely, from the position of her waist) she's standing on a stepstool. Didn't know airlines provided those to help people get their bags into and out of the bins, but it's been a while since I flew on Alaska.
The bigger bins are supposed to be slightly lower than the previous bins.

In the same Alaska Airlines 737s with the Space Bins, the aisle seats have small metal steps built into the side, presumably to help people step up to reach the bins. I only noticed the step after sitting in an aisle seat and seeing it on the other aisle seat.

Notice the little bracket on the seat bottom under the armrest:

However, the model in the picture of the Space Bins is not standing on the bracket.

Last edited by tjl; Sep 19, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I was sitting at LHR T5 GF lounge yesterday waiting for gate announcement for my flight to BRU, once gate C53 showed up I left the lounge to find my way to C concourse.
Down to autostairs two levels down (could have taken some lifts, I guess would have been better/faster) and take that train (only second visit to T5, two weeks ago first time departure was A concourse)

When I reached the gate already 100+ pax were sitting and half of them blocking passage way for other travellers to their gates.

Thus I stood besides some thrash bins (to keep the passage somewhat free) to watch the scenes around the boarding area.
Seems 50% of BA travellers have priority status?

It is bad manners to block the passage way and I would never queue a line before boarding gets announced.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:09 am

I used to never stand before boarding, but I do now.

Regardless of cabin (F, J, or Y), I've found that if I'm late, all those gathered around will swarm in once their turn is called. Naturally, even in F (let alone Y), the FA will not save bin space and I run into potential seat poachers/swappers. Of course, they say with F/Priority, one can cut the line if you're late, but I find this impractical. I'm not crazy about forcing my way through crowds and overt line cutting (except in Vegas where staff makes it very clear VIP/Members first and everyone accepts it).

I'd much rather board last, especially when on F. But, FA never saves bin space (will surely run out) and odds of seat poachers/swappers increase. So, if others are like me, in this day and age, we're all forced to stand up and crowd the boarding area.

There's got to be a better way, but it's lost on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.