Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people insist on standing before boarding even starts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Why do people insist on standing before boarding even starts

Just curious its so freakin annoying especially if you are blocking others. If you are group 3/4 there should be no reason to even stand near the entrance till your group is called...
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I like to stand as much as possible before a flight as I'm going to be sitting for hours.

Near the gate...yeah, that's annoying.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Skatering
I like to stand as much as possible before a flight as I'm going to be sitting for hours.
I also do this, but I assume Op is referring to what are know as gate lice. Some people do it because they want to secure overhead bin space, some seem to do it because on flights "Zone 1" or elite boarding can be a huge chunk of the plane and they want to get ahead of the rush. Really I am not sure, but I too find it annoying.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Madone59
I also do this, but I assume Op is referring to what are know as gate lice. Some people do it because they want to secure overhead bin space, some seem to do it because on flights "Zone 1" or elite boarding can be a huge chunk of the plane and they want to get ahead of the rush. Really I am not sure, but I too find it annoying.
This. You can blame the airlines for this. It's a direct result of checked baggage fees. The annoying part is they've now monetized the whole thing (people avoiding checked bag fees now pay for boarding first or get the airline CC instead so they can put their bag up in the overhead to avoid the fee )
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I also don't know why people stand in line in front of the gate unless there is free seating (which I haven't experienced in the last 5 to 10 years or so, RyanAir stopped doing it). I always just stay seated at the gate until the line is moving at a steady pace, then I join.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by Duke787
This. You can blame the airlines for this. It's a direct result of checked baggage fees. The annoying part is they've now monetized the whole thing (people avoiding checked bag fees now pay for boarding first or get the airline CC instead so they can put their bag up in the overhead to avoid the fee )
Baggage handling costs money, and a small % always gets lost and compensation for that costs money. So either you charge everyone for it in the ticket price or you charge those who have to check baggage, it's that simple.

I do think that point to point LCCs that dont offer connections, could sell the checked baggage for less though (and maybe increase large cabin bag fees). With wizz Air you often have to pay 30 euros each leg for a checked bag. That's too much, at that price point it's better to just book your ticket elsewhere where checked bags are included.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
On BA you are either a gate louse or you board with the very last group.

I trade being an annoying and pushy person for being one without space any day.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Husband usually has a high value camera bag as a carry on that cannot be gate checked, so the goal is to buy as early boarding as realistic and then be at the front of the group from there
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Because if you don't stand near the gate, you end up boarding behind all of the people who do stand near the gate and end up with no room to stow your carryon.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Not enough seats in waiting area.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
How long will it be before some airline starts charging a fee for seating at the gate?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do what WN does and put a BOARDING NUMBER on the BP. Then the line self-regulates.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:26 am

If it is only a baggage issue, how do you explain gate lice on regional jet flights?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by emrdoc
If it is only a baggage issue, how do you explain gate lice on regional jet flights?
They've been trained as a result of taking mainline flights.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Not enough seats in waiting area.
Basically. I usually make it to the gate 5 minutes before boarding and there's no seat space so I just line up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.