Wiki Posts
Search

Send me somewhere over (US) Election Day

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Send me somewhere over (US) Election Day

I have about two weeks with nothing planned and I'd like to get the heck out of the US, preferably to a place that doesn't much care about the US election and where people won't badger me about it before or afterwards. I am based in PHL and can go pretty much anywhere. Adventure/off-the-beaten-path vacations are my specialty; as this trip is probably going to be most successful in a non-city destination, I can see myself being happy diving, seeing wildlife, or doing other outdoorsy things like hiking.

I do have some ideas (diving in Micronesia or Belize, for example) but I'm sure FTers can come up with some places I haven't thought of. Suggestions?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was at a meeting outside Marseilles when W was first elected. They had quite good coverage all night, and the radio was non-stop coverage in the morning. When I went to bed, Gore had won, and the radio was confusing in the morning (I don't really speak any french, but can understand some). Unfortunately the reason I was confused is because what I thought I was hearing was what actually was happening.

There are plenty of places you could go camp in the US where you'd have essentially no news contact.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I don't know what made me think of this, but a round-trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway ought to cover it ...

Ayers Rock is pretty remote too

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 2, 2016 at 6:57 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:34 pm

A little longer than two weeks but we will be off on an expedition cruise of western New Guinea (Indonesia). Fabulous snorkeling at Raja Ampat. Will still get all the news.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The fall leaves should be lovely in Japan in early November: Tokyo (near Imperial Palace for example), Osaka (by the river and castle), Kyoto, and elsewhere.

For warm weather, Singapore and Bangkok are reliable. It will be late spring or early summer in Buenos Aires, but they're almost in a USA time zone. Perhaps southern Australia, such as Adelaide or Melbourne?

It's probably late to plan a wildlife safari in South Africa, but there are probably some tented camps without much cable TV..
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well I will be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on election day, hoping that the satellite signal isn't working.

I like the idea above of an expedition cruise. Is it too early for Antarctica?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by wrp96
I like the idea above of an expedition cruise. Is it too early for Antarctica?
Funny you should say that. The reason I have two weeks to spare around Election Day is because the Antactic cruise I was booked on for October-November got cancelled, which meant I had to re-book for December-January. The best-laid plans...argh!

I was on a business trip in India for the 2000 election. The endless amused questions from Indians and the depression of watching CNN International are exactly what I want to avoid this time!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by travelmad478
I have about two weeks with nothing planned and I'd like to get the heck out of the US, preferably to a place that doesn't much care about the US election and where people won't badger me about it before or afterwards. I am based in PHL and can go pretty much anywhere. Adventure/off-the-beaten-path vacations are my specialty; as this trip is probably going to be most successful in a non-city destination, I can see myself being happy diving, seeing wildlife, or doing other outdoorsy things like hiking.

I do have some ideas (diving in Micronesia or Belize, for example) but I'm sure FTers can come up with some places I haven't thought of. Suggestions?
I will be in Thailand. Lots of places to be way off the grid in Thailand. Of course they have their own political issues.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jrl767
... Ayers Rock is pretty remote too
Not recommended. Too hot that time of year - it'll be late spring in Oz.

As it happens, I'm in Alice Springs at the moment - hence a posting time that would be odd for my home location - and will be at Ayers Rock tomorrow. If you want to go, go this time of year, southern hemisphere winter. It's not the best time for southern cities like Sydney and Melbourne (it was raw and rainy in Sydney this morning when I changed planes) but you can add Darwin and northern Queensland to the trip.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Efrem
Not recommended. Too hot that time of year - it'll be late spring in Oz.

As it happens, I'm in Alice Springs at the moment - hence a posting time that would be odd for my home location - and will be at Ayers Rock tomorrow. If you want to go, go this time of year, southern hemisphere winter. It's not the best time for southern cities like Sydney and Melbourne (it was raw and rainy in Sydney this morning when I changed planes) but you can add Darwin and northern Queensland to the trip.
OT but I'm jealous....and in a few weeks it will be summer again in Sydney.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
How about off the beaten track in Peru? An Arequipa-Puno-Cuzco trip with a wee bit of trekking should keep you more or less off line for a good period of time. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.