Best Water in the World?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Water in the World?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
And to hold the fork in the left and the knife in the right hand.
Haha, not to mention to use both fork and knife instead of only a fork or even worse
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The water from my well as it comes from the ground. No chlorine, no filter, no reverse osmosis, no UV.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Kansas water works for me.

I admire how much of Europe is "greener" than the U.S. in many ways, but the obsession with bottled water is one I don't understand. I find it strange and a bit ironic that it's served as the default in so many places that have perfectly acceptable tap water.

(I'm singling out Europe here in part because their water treatment facilities are modern. Other parts of the world who use a lot of bottled water for safety reasons are a bit of a different discussion.)
my recollection is that across most of europe, having water with a meal in a restaurant is unusual. if you ask, you are likely to be served sparkling/mineral water. this was many years ago, so customs may have changed.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by crabbing
my recollection is that across most of europe, having water with a meal in a restaurant is unusual. if you ask, you are likely to be served sparkling/mineral water. this was many years ago, so customs may have changed.
That hasn't been my experience. Almost any restaurant I go to, I will be asked, "still or sparkling." Almost universally. I do go to higher end restaurants so maybe that's the difference.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:15 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
It is said, however, that Fiji water is the purest available, but I have always had reservations about this, as it comes in plastic bottles and, as some of us know, plastic leaches chemicals into the water.
Wouldn't distilled water be the purest available?

In any case, if in a country with safe tap water, why not just drink the tap water?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Originally Posted by LondonElite
And to hold the fork in the left and the knife in the right hand.
I am fortunately left handed, and was never admonished for left-forking. None of this switch-hands business either. Makes dining in Europe a breeze. I am still having to work on killing the other-hand-in-the-lap habit.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I'm in Portland OR, US, where the tap water is fine, and bottled water is generally seen as a waste. I drink tap water wherever I go, unless warned by locals to avoid it. So far that includes the larger cities in Morocco, La Paz BCS MX, Tijuana, anywhere I've been in Europe.

Tijuana's tap water (at a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant) tasted much better than San Diego's.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
It´s not correct, you are always offered (paid) water, still or sparkling. Even with a wine accompainment you normally order a bottle of water. To say the truth it was the same since I visit Restaurants and that´s quite a while��
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It always depends on what end of the scale you are looking at, but having water with a meal (in accompaniment of wine, for example) is absolutely standard behaviour.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH
I was in Colorado Springs recently, and boy was the tap water good.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Pure water is pretty well tasteless - it's the mineral content in water that provides the taste, which is why, in blind taste tests, so often tap water either wins or comes out very high - they know what they are doing in the purification plant.

If we are talking sparkling water, I'd definitely go with Badoit - not too much fizz and some, but not too much calcium. In flat water, in developed countries, it's definitely tap. However, in hotels, it's bottled ever since I saw a video of how the chambermaid cleaned the glasses.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:56 pm

Don't know if anyone else noticed, but Evian spelt backards is naive. Just saying...
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I drink tap water 99% of the time. New York City tap water was great when I lived there. Portland ME tap water comes from Sebago Lake, which I believe is the second clearest lake in the country after Crater Lake.

Bottled water is a silly waste. I like sparkling water and will buy it from time to time, but mostly I'm happy with my SodaStream.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:46 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

IME, NYC and Tokyo
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Preston Lancashire British Tap water ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.