Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ladies & Gentlemen, we are # on this runway.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ladies & Gentlemen, we are # on this runway.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've heard somewhere between #1 and #16 in line at ATL at assorted times.

My most memorable pilot oversharing moment came on my first transatlantic flight heading into Manchester where we got put into a 30+ minute holding pattern just inside UK airspace waiting for the weather to clear- "Well folks, the good news is that the fog has now lifted and we're a priority for landing because we're getting into a low fuel situation."
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Uh why not say we need to stop in Albany because of inclement weather near destination? Or because of air traffic control? Or a host of other things aside from "hey guys I know we're in the air right now, but we're gonna be out of fuel soon, oops."
The plane wasn't going to be out of fuel soon. It didn't have enough to make its original destination with the required generous reserve. This can happen when winds aloft don't behave as forecast. Unscheduled landings and takeoffs add a large cost, so you can be sure that airlines plan assiduously to avoid them. They also plan carefully to avoid carrying more fuel than legally necessary.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:43 am

Most of the time you hear it, you don't really want to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.