Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ladies & Gentlemen, we are # on this runway.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ladies & Gentlemen, we are # on this runway.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nookanaya
What's rare is for there to be a line and for the plane I'm on to cut it! Happened to me at least once (possibly at PHX) where there were 8-10 planes in the queue and my flight just went around them on a different taxiway and straight to the runway.
I had it happen once when we were a Lifeguard flight.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Although the OP had their experience on a United/United Express flight, this type of announcement from the captain can cover multiple airlines so I'll move this thread over to the TravelBuzz forum

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by nookanaya
I hear it quite frequently, even if it's just "we're #1 for takeoff". What's rare is for there to be a line and for the plane I'm on to cut it! Happened to me at least once (possibly at PHX) where there were 8-10 planes in the queue and my flight just went around them on a different taxiway and straight to the runway.
This will happen if you're about to miss your time slot during a busy period. If you miss it then you'll be waiting for a very long time for a new one
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I hear it most often at LGA. Not uncommon for my Thursday afternoon flight to be in the 30's when the announcement is made. I instinctively multiply by 1.5 to get the number of minutes until departure...
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I hear "we're #1 for takeoff" a lot, often accompanied by a request to check seat belts or instructions to the FAs. Other numbers, not so much, but it happens from time to time.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I hear it on most flights out of LHR. More than 10 is bad news.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Often at DCA.. often # is in double digits
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Connecting at ORD (where else!) a few years ago, after some sort of weather problems, there were a HUGE number of planes waiting for takeoff. Listening to Channel 9 on UA, the ground controllers were doing a great job of managing the traffic. I heard several planes return to the gate due to crew time-out issues. One pilot asked "what number are we for take-off?". The response was "Don't ask". We took about 2 hours from push back to take off roll.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by joseeantonior
Hey everyone,

Last month I had a couple UX flights where this announcement was made by the captain. Anyone else experienced it? I find it very informative.
You hear it if you fly a lot.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This is common for some airline/airport combos. Any number over 20 is bad news, and any number over 60 very bad news.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 6:03 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I believe it's better they report the number only when it's still in the single digits... some things are just better unsaid. Like this one time when the captain said "we have to make a stop in Albany to refuel" on a Detroit-New York flight, mid-flight... Why would you tell us that???
Old Jul 2, 2016, 7:01 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Taking off from the Polderbaan has this innate quality of being a # >10 for departure.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I believe it's better they report the number only when it's still in the single digits... some things are just better unsaid. Like this one time when the captain said "we have to make a stop in Albany to refuel" on a Detroit-New York flight, mid-flight... Why would you tell us that???
Because if they didn't tell you, people would wonder - and often worry, and occasionally freak out - about why the plane is losing so much altitude so far from NYC, and why they're being told to shut off their electronic devices and fasten their seat belts. Ordinary stuff for landing, but scary stuff if you don't expect to land. So, why not tell you as soon as they know? What is the upside to keeping the flight plan secret until they start the descent to ALB?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:59 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by Efrem
Because if they didn't tell you, people would wonder - and often worry, and occasionally freak out - about why the plane is losing so much altitude so far from NYC, and why they're being told to shut off their electronic devices and fasten their seat belts. Ordinary stuff for landing, but scary stuff if you don't expect to land. So, why not tell you as soon as they know? What is the upside to keeping the flight plan secret until they start the descent to ALB?
Uh why not say we need to stop in Albany because of inclement weather near destination? Or because of air traffic control? Or a host of other things aside from "hey guys I know we're in the air right now, but we're gonna be out of fuel soon, oops."
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Once we were "number 30-something in line to push". SFO had just lost 1R/L due to wind and it took an hour to clear the lines
If I were the pilot, I would just keep my mouth closed...if I heard this, I would totally groan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.