Reload this Page >

"Sully", the movie

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sully", the movie

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
I was paying quite close attention when I watched it tonight and I'm 99% sure that they fixed it in the release.

I remember being happy the birds said Continental. Though the Schimtar Winglets are still there.

I don't recall seeing the AA Livery, but it could've still been there.
Just saw it. They corrected the Continental liveries for sure but the schimatar winglets were still there.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Since inaccuracies are being pointed out the wallpaper in the Courtyard Marriott scene had the new wallpaper and carpet that didn't come out until about 2014 remodels and new hotels (the gray color scheme).

LGA Courtyard still has the red/yellow color scheme so wonder where they filmed it.

I stay in Courtyards about 100 nights per year due to company rate.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:52 pm

I just streamed a copy of the movie. It has my seal of approval if that matters. His skills as a glider pilot came in handy. Skill and pure luck saved everyone aboard.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I saw it today and overall I enjoyed the film. I thought the attention to detail by the filmmakers was above and beyond what I was expecting. Sure, there was a stray goof or too (like filming one scene in the D Concourse at LGA's Central Terminal) but that didn't matter. The scenes on the plane were incredibly well done which is what I was there for.

I do feel sorry for Laura Linney though, what a thankless role she had.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:42 pm

I remember an interview on NBC or CBS or something after the incident with all the flight attendants on the flight. Most of them were proud of the heroism shown on the flight and supportive - except for one who was extremely bitter and seemed to be filled with anger. Never figured out her story - is this brought up in the film?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GateHold

There's a longstanding unfairness to the whole pilots-as-heroes thing that gets under my skin, and that this film exacerbates. Why don’t we have a John Testrake movie? Why don’t we have a Bernard Dhellemme movie? Or an Al Haynes movie, or a Brian Witcher movie? And others too. Chances are you’ve never heard of these people -- maybe because their planes didn’t come splashing down alongside the world’s media capital?

Meanwhile, over the years, there have been countless aviators who, confronted by sudden and unusual danger, performed admirably, with just as much or skill and resolve as can ever be hoped for. But they weren’t as lucky as Sullenberger. By virtue of this and nothing more, they and many of their passengers perished.

-- PS

There actually WAS an Al Haynes movie. Charlton Heston played him.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1p
Originally Posted by Layell
I remember an interview on NBC or CBS or something after the incident with all the flight attendants on the flight. Most of them were proud of the heroism shown on the flight and supportive - except for one who was extremely bitter and seemed to be filled with anger. Never figured out her story - is this brought up in the film?
I think she had some significant leg injuries. Haven't seen the movie yet, but in the interview I saw (?Larry King) at the time, she was unhappy about someone opening the rear door and letting freezing water into the plane. She also seemed to have some degree of PTSD. I almost had the sense she resented everyone else congratulating each other and being happy when she was still recovering from her injuries and whatever psychological issues resulted and couldn't work.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We went to "Sully" opening day and both thought it was very well done.

What Captain Sully did was miraculous to me, and the fact that he had to prove to the NTSB that he made the correct decision is crazy.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Sep 19, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:48 pm

What Captain Sully did was miraculous to me, and the fact that he had to prove to the FAA that he made the correct decision is crazy.
The fact that you just saw the movie and still don't grasp the difference between the FAA and the NTSB is crazy to me. Were you paying attention at all?

The NTSB did exactly what they do after any U.S. related air accident - work tirelessly to investigate, analyze data, look for ways to make everyone that steps aboard an airplane safer. They are the guys that wear the white hats.
They do issue direct concrete directives to the FAA to improve safety, most of which the FAA ignore, because it's easier to send out inspectors to do busy work.

I haven't seen the movie, but have heard lots about Eastwood's "creative interpretation" of the investigative process. Apparently many of the standard practices of a typical investigation are portrayed in the movie as being out-of-the-ordinary or somehow personally directed at Sullenberger.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The co pilot does not have seen to have gotten any credit anywhere. I am sure he helped get the plane down.
I can't imagine anyone who actually saw the movie making this statement.

Skiles is heavily involved in the story, and Sullenberger makes a point at the end of redirecting praise to his co-pilot, along with the rest of his crew, rescuers, etc. I suspect many more people are aware of him after the film than before.

The "Mr. Evil" positioning of the NTSB head was certainly heavy handed, and the instantaneous change in their outlook at the end was jolting/unrealistic.

Originally Posted by hat attack
I haven't seen the movie, but have heard lots about Eastwood's "creative interpretation" of the investigative process.
You may want to see the movie before criticizing others about interpretations of the movie. They are not portrayed as "guys that wear the white hats" conducting "standard practices of a typical investigation".
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by apodo77
Since inaccuracies are being pointed out the wallpaper in the Courtyard Marriott scene had the new wallpaper and carpet that didn't come out until about 2014 remodels and new hotels (the gray color scheme).

LGA Courtyard still has the red/yellow color scheme so wonder where they filmed it.

I stay in Courtyards about 100 nights per year due to company rate.
I've never seen a film where the plot was so unengaging that I took notice of the wallpaper and carpeting in the hotels where the scene was taking place.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:29 am

You may want to see the movie before criticizing others about interpretations of the movie. They are not portrayed as "guys that wear the white hats" conducting "standard practices of a typical investigation".
Yes, that is my point.

Anyone with passing interest in the topic is aware that the investigation as depicted in the movie is not the truth, but a made-up story to add drama/protagonists to a movie. Very dishonest.

What Captain Sully did was miraculous to me, and the fact that he had to prove to the FAA that he made the correct decision is crazy.
Don't indict an extremely hardworking outstanding agency (the NTSB, not FAA), based on a made-up story.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by CPRich
The "Mr. Evil" positioning of the NTSB head was certainly heavy handed, and the instantaneous change in their outlook at the end was jolting/unrealistic.

Similar to other movies based on actual events, there are conversations added which didn't occur in real life to add drama to the movie. I'm sure there will be added dialogue in the upcoming movie about Deepwater Horizon.

Did anyone notice if this was mentioned in the credits?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
The fact that you just saw the movie and still don't grasp the difference between the FAA and the NTSB is crazy to me. Were you paying attention at all?

The NTSB did exactly what they do after any U.S. related air accident - work tirelessly to investigate, analyze data, look for ways to make everyone that steps aboard an airplane safer. They are the guys that wear the white hats.
They do issue direct concrete directives to the FAA to improve safety, most of which the FAA ignore, because it's easier to send out inspectors to do busy work.

I haven't seen the movie, but have heard lots about Eastwood's "creative interpretation" of the investigative process. Apparently many of the standard practices of a typical investigation are portrayed in the movie as being out-of-the-ordinary or somehow personally directed at Sullenberger.
Yes, that is my point.

Anyone with passing interest in the topic is aware that the investigation as depicted in the movie is not the truth, but a made-up story to add drama/protagonists to a movie. Very dishonest.

Don't indict an extremely hardworking outstanding agency (the NTSB, not FAA), based on a made-up story.
Flogging duly accepted and corrected.

I'm curious how anyone knows what really happened during the investigation and hearing unless they were actually physically present.

Of course Eastwood used some "Creative interpretation", it was a movie.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:37 pm

I'm curious how anyone knows what really happened during the investigation and hearing unless they were actually physically present.
All facets of the investigation are publicly available and have been widely detailed within the professional aviation community, including the complete transcripts of every interview (including Sullenberger's and Skiles' interview).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.