Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Sully", the movie

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
"Sully", the movie

The trailer is a bit surprising. It makes the plot sound a lot like Flight, a hero pilot investigated after the fact for taking dangerous actions.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:40 am

Only Hollywood can take a 6 minute real-life event and turn it into a 2 hour movie.

I don't remember there being any controversy around Sully's actions during the investigation, I don't like how this movie seems to drag his name through the mud, I hope he at least had to sign off on the script before using his name.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Guessing this wont ever make it to the IFE systems...
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by t325
I don't remember there being any controversy around Sully's actions during the investigation, I don't like how this movie seems to drag his name through the mud, I hope he at least had to sign off on the script before using his name.
sign and get a lot of money probably
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
Well, I've seen Cast Away on IFE, so why not a happier ending
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
At least not on flights out of LGA
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
This reminds me of another Hanks movie, Apollo 13. Fine film, but then I saw the PBS documentary that showed the actual Mission Control as they coped with getting the stricKen spacecraft back to Earth.

All of the maudlin domestic drama in the movie suddenly seemed an unnecessary sideshow, distracting from the real life heroics in space and at Houston.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Documentary for the space geeks, engineers, scientists, etc. Movie bits about TV crews on the lawn for the lesser folks

Hanks acting in an Eastwood movie - this certainly has the pedigree to be very good.

The credits say it's based on his own book, he's listed as a writer, and he's promoting it on his web site, so I think it would be safe to say that he's OK with it.

I'm going to be on the lookout for a cameo, similar to Lovell playing an Captain on the USS Iwo Jima recovery ship.

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 30, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Looks interesting, and the AVGEEK in me is happy they got the US A320 cabin correct down to the seats, safety cards, and bulkheads. Although the new AA livery wasn't around in 2009.

Speaking of which, would AA have to sign off on them using the US Airways logos/name?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Only Hollywood can take a 6 minute real-life event and turn it into a 2 hour movie.
Agreed

If they drag his name through the mud, then this flick is BS.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some thought he should have gone for an airport. It was simulated, a pilot with all the facts could put the bird on the runway. There was no margin, though--it required immediately going for the airport with no time to evaluate what happened to the plane or whether it could be done. Given that the determination can't be made in zero time ditching became by far the best option.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP lite, Hertz 5*G, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by eajusa
Agreed

If they drag his name through the mud, then this flick is BS.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0a629c1a8e206

"According to People, Sullenberger himself visited the film set, where an Airbus A320 was disassembled and placed in a pool to re-create the terrifying afternoon of Jan. 15, 2009. “I’ve been making movies for a long time, but whenever you see a complete plane in a pool right there — it blew us away, everybody was very impressed with that,” Eckhart said."
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by fassy
sign and get a lot of money probably
That would be great. A fair number of public figures have gotten a lot more for doing a lot less.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'll watch it!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I don't remember there being any controversy around Sully's actions during the investigation, I don't like how this movie seems to drag his name through the mud
I obviously have not seen the movie, but I'll go out on a limb and take a wild guess: Sully is vindicated in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.