Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Boarding Music? How does it make you feel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Hello all, this is my first post and i am interested in finding out how boarding music affects you. I have traveled on various airlines, to undertake research on what music different airlines play. For example, Air Asia play pop music during boarding and landing, while Cathay Pacific, EVA air play classical and British Airways don't play any, all with different marketing targets.

But how does the boarding music actually make you feel when you sit down? Does it calm you down? Do you actually notice it? Does volume play a part in the way its received? Any other feedback would be great!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by James15
But how does the boarding music actually make you feel when you sit down? Does it calm you down? Do you actually notice it? Does volume play a part in the way its received? Any other feedback would be great!
If you fly OS every week two times hearing the same Strauss waltz over and over again you just want to smash the speakers to finally shut them up for good.

Otherwise I like if they put some thought to it like LH and SAS sometimes plays songs which relate to the destination like San Francisco by Scott McKenzie, Barcelon by Freddie Mercury & Montserrat Caballé or One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head. That kind of raises my mood and makes we go there - now!

But that seems to be more like a personal thing from some flights crews rather than a "program" or policy.

btw. welcome to FT!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: US Gold
I notice. I HATE it. I put on headphones to block it out. US Airways in particular had a very repetitive track it played - a sort of aggressive corporate blandness that made me want to scream. I do not understand why people think silence has to be filled.

There is only one exception to my dislike of incessant background music-like noise, and that's the soundtrack at Penn Station in NYC. I saw an interview with the sound designer, and she explained that the music she'd chosen was deliberately intended to try to make the place calmer and more pleasant. I think it's Pachelbel and some other classics. It actually works - but in a place like Grand Central you don't need a soundtrack because the architecture does it all for you. I'd like more of *that*, please.

wg
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: Independent
I don't have much experience with non-US airlines. From what I have experienced, personally I like having music in the background, BUT I think airlines really need to put more thought into it. It seems like most airlines pick random music. I think they should try to create a mood. Virgin did better with this at one point.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:00 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
...It...makes...me...

Last edited by violist; Jun 21, 2016 at 8:30 pm Reason: trying to fix url
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses guys, would be interesting to hear views from others aswell

Originally Posted by violist
...It...makes...me... mad!
Why is that? Is it because of your frequent flying with a particular airline, or any other reason?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Peace and quiet are underrated. I don't like boarding music at all.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: None anymore
It makes me anxious, which, I imagine, is the polar opposite of the intended effect.

Think about it... put lots of people in a confined space, give them very little room to move, no control over their environment, some of them will be nervous flyers... I know, let's play muzak at them! Who came up with this idea? The psyops department? Imbeciles!

I was rather dismayed to find that Cathay continued playing it until the aircraft was in the cruise. Arrrgh!

Silence is under-rated.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Every time I hear Rhapsody in Blue my teeth grind.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
I love when Air Tahiti Nui plays Tahitian music and Hawaiian Airlines plays Hawaiian music during boarding to those destinations. It gives the traveler the feeling that their tropical vacation has already started...
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:08 pm

There is music playing upon boarding? LOL I honestly have not even noticed and I've flown quite a bit this year so far both domestically and internationally. I have a flight coming up in two weeks, I'll make a mental note to listen for the music.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I actually like it when there's something like a customized playlist. Qantas plays (mostly, I think) Australian artists that I've never heard of and I end up looking for more of their works later on.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:33 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by James15
Why is that? Is it because of your frequent flying with a particular airline, or any other reason?
Even (especially) if the music were okay to begin with, the context
worthlessizes it. It's disrespectful to the music and to the customers
as well. Worse than on the elevators and in the dentists' offices.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I quite like it myself. Especially yesterday morning on BA CityJet DUB-LCY in 2A (classical music). I found it very soothing and comforting after having just flown a very full AA TATL CLT-DUB in Y. It brought me somewhat back to good.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF Platinum, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by 12939
It makes me anxious, which, I imagine, is the polar opposite of the intended effect.
This is the same effect it often has on me, especially when it doodles on during take off and landing. The latter makes it feel particularly eerie- I'm usually not a particularly nervous flyer but whenever I have to listen to awkward elevator-like music during landing I can't help imagining the plane crashing and that damn music going on. Maybe that's just me though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.