Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Boarding Music? How does it make you feel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Music? How does it make you feel?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Agustinl71
There is music playing upon boarding? LOL I honestly have not even noticed and I've flown quite a bit this year so far both domestically and internationally. I have a flight coming up in two weeks, I'll make a mental note to listen for the music.
I certainly don't hear it every time I board. I guess a lot of people here don't care for it, but personally it feels like they are at least a little prepared when it is playing. On Delta it used to be my indication if a boarding was going smoothly or everything was chaotic and rushed and they nobody had time to play it. Then again it could also be because few planes were equipped to play boarding music.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:53 am

excited
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:24 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fassy
If you fly OS every week two times hearing the same Strauss waltz over and over again you just want to smash the speakers to finally shut them up for good.
I fly with them quite often and what they play is actually baroque music, in the like of JS Bach, Handel, Vivaldi and sometimes Mozart.

Never heard them played waltzes of Strauss, not the same era anyhow. Perhaps Austrian, but surely not Asiana.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I love when Air Tahiti Nui plays Tahitian music and Hawaiian Airlines plays Hawaiian music during boarding to those destinations. It gives the traveler the feeling that their tropical vacation has already started...
I agree. When I fly to tropical locations, i.e. Hawaii of French Polynesia, I like to hear music. Granted I like it to be played at a low level but I still like it.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
I love when Air Tahiti Nui plays Tahitian music and Hawaiian Airlines plays Hawaiian music during boarding to those destinations. It gives the traveler the feeling that their tropical vacation has already started...
I miss United playing Hawaiian music on arriving in HNL. One of those little things that remind me that i'm back home.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Don't forget the disembarking music...

I thought "Alone in the Universe" seemed a bit too much of a tear-jerker for Qantas to play when leaving a recent SYD-LHR flight.

Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:52 pm

I just stand up in my seat and dance.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:43 am

I think it depends very strongly on what kind of music is being played.. Personally, I think I'd prefer classical music, because it soothes you and it adds a bit of class and makes your experience feel more luxurious. Think for example of a 5* restaurant, it is very likely that classical music is being played there.
Other than that, I would prefer not having any background music, as can be very annoying (and apparently it is not only me, just scroll up a bit ).

Are you doing some kind of Bachelor/Master thesis research, @James15?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm not a fan, especially as it's usually the kind of soft rock hits that remind me of a dentist's office.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
AS's boarding music is inoffensive enough--and I even ended up doing a Google Sound Search on one track this week because it was actually pretty catchy. I loathed Delta's music when I flew them TRANSATL last year, though; in both directions, one of the songs on rotation during boarding AND disembarking was Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off," but without the lead vocal track. Still had the backing vocals. Made no sense to me, and it was surprisingly annoying.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:40 pm

That's the thing. It is as much about which music they play as it is if they play music at all. The music has to help set the mood - whether for an airline like Virgin which would be some kind of chillout hip stuff, or United's Rhapsody in Blue (even if it gets a bit old). Just playing generic soft rock hits really doesn't to me anyways add anything. Midwest used to play classical, didn't they, or is that just my aging memory?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Are you doing some kind of Bachelor/Master thesis research, @James15? [/QUOTE]

@HolidayLoverIn
Hahaha yes it is! how did you guess? Im doing a masters thesis in airlines using sound and smell to influence customer behavior
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Add me into the "hate it" category. Different people like different music, and I haven't found an airline that plays a style that I can stand.

If I want to listen to music I'll plug my earbuds into my phone.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by 12939
It makes me anxious, which, I imagine, is the polar opposite of the intended effect.

Think about it... put lots of people in a confined space, give them very little room to move, no control over their environment, some of them will be nervous flyers... I know, let's play muzak at them! Who came up with this idea? The psyops department? Imbeciles!

I was rather dismayed to find that Cathay continued playing it until the aircraft was in the cruise. Arrrgh!

Silence is under-rated.
This is absolutely perfect.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by James15
Are you doing some kind of Bachelor/Master thesis research, @James15?
@HolidayLoverIn
Hahaha yes it is! how did you guess? Im doing a masters thesis in airlines using sound and smell to influence customer behavior[/QUOTE]

Smell? Now that is interesting. I know that, for instance, Disney uses smell very successfully in their theme parks. As do some retail outlets. I am curious how you think that could apply to airlines, however. To me it is all about creating a desire or mood, but what kind of scent would you relate to travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.