Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best Transatlantic Coach from West Coast to Athens.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Transatlantic Coach from West Coast to Athens.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:30 am

People say FRA is a mess, but a few years ago my sister took her first international trip (and first time on a plane in a decade) going FLR-FRA-PHL on the return. She was flying that alone since we were routing via CDG back to BOS. Anyway, her FLR flight was delayed and eventually left, giving her ~40 mins to connect at FRA. She had to hustle a bit, but she made it and said the signage was good and the employees of the airport were super helpful. It's a single data point, but a first timer that has no idea what they're doing is a good measuring stick. FRA has some longer walks and some inconveniences, but it's light years better than CDG or LHR (or JFK if you're changing terminals).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
You could also try Edelweiss YVR-ZRH and connect to Aegean ZRH-ATH, but I've flown neither of them.
I flew Edelweiss economy last month YVR-ZRH (connecting to Tel Aviv) and can recommend it. On a Tuesday night the plane was only about 10% full; people were just lying down over the four middle seats (thus they had more space on an economy class ticket than anyone in economy plus). The food was good, and the flight attendants walked through pretty often with snacks, ice cream, drinks, and so on. My only complaint is that after dinner they had me close the windowscreen; I would have preferred to look at the Greenland icecap all night.

In Zurich I had a seven-hour layover so took the train into the city, visited some of the ancient churches, walked through the lovely park by the lake, and had dinner. Then had enough time for a shower in the airport (15 Swiss francs) before my onward flight.

On the return flight ZRH-YVR, on a Sunday afternoon, this time the plane was full (vacationing Swiss families, mostly) but the Edelweiss flight was still pleasant.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Amber400
I flew Edelweiss economy last month YVR-ZRH (connecting to Tel Aviv) and can recommend it. On a Tuesday night the plane was only about 10% full; people were just lying down over the four middle seats (thus they had more space on an economy class ticket than anyone in economy plus). The food was good, and the flight attendants walked through pretty often with snacks, ice cream, drinks, and so on. My only complaint is that after dinner they had me close the windowscreen; I would have preferred to look at the Greenland icecap all night.

In Zurich I had a seven-hour layover so took the train into the city, visited some of the ancient churches, walked through the lovely park by the lake, and had dinner. Then had enough time for a shower in the airport (15 Swiss francs) before my onward flight.

On the return flight ZRH-YVR, on a Sunday afternoon, this time the plane was full (vacationing Swiss families, mostly) but the Edelweiss flight was still pleasant.
Oh nice, glad it went well. Did you happen to take any pictures? I'd be curious to see what it looks like. Or better yet, have you also flown Swiss in the past, and are there any real differences?

If I can't get a nonstop flight to where I'm going, connecting through ZRH is as calm an airport experience as I can ever recall. I haven't been there long enough to go out to the city yet.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I'd go DL, for the simple reason that there are multiple ways to get there: out of Seattle, they operate a whole slate of TATL flights to AMS, CDG and LHR. If something goes wrong, flying DL maximizes their options for getting rebooked on an alternative flight without waiting for the following day's flights.

From the west coast, connecting in Europe is the best answer to minimize flying time, and all three of those flights are operated on A330/767 aircraft with 2-n-2 seating that's perfect for a couple in economy.

Note that flying ex-YVR may be much cheaper than ex-SEA for some destinations and dates, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.