Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When discussing IDB why are we so afraid to use the F word?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When discussing IDB why are we so afraid to use the F word?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 11:35 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by weero
Nothing wrong with an offer but airlines pull all kind of stunts to turn passengers away and make the IDB disappear.
Another one is the slow check in line for those who are unable to check in on the web site before arriving at the airport. Some passengers may get to the airport in what seems to be plenty of time, but the check in line moves so slowly due to understaffing that the passenger does not get to the agent before the check in deadline passes.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:03 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by sjclynn
There are few tickets that are truly worthless if not used on the flight that they were sold for. The vast majority can be credited to future travel subject to change fees. Depending on the ticket, it may be functionally worthless because of those fees but most have a non-zero value.
This is only really true in North America (and maybe Latin America, not sure) or for North American airlines. The majority of tickets I book are completely worthless if I miss the flight, barring compassionate agents who are empowered to get me on the next flight, but they are within their rights to refuse. There may be a small refund of government and airport fees.

I guess the IDB situation outside of North America is not as bad, though.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Regarding the "small number" of IDB's (1 in 11,000 or whatever), I still go back to the fact that it's not really 1 in 11,000 for any single one of us.

It's millions-to-one for many of us (when flying our preferred airlines). And it's a far greater real possibility for others of us (not flying our preferred airlines). Further, since you can *sometimes* predict busier travel days and flights, you can probably pick out the specific flights where there's a decent chance that *somebody* is getting IDB. (Much like you kind of know where shark attacks are likely to happen. )

The question becomes whether that's enough of a "problem" to add regulation to make IDB much more painful for the airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.