Wiki Posts
Search

Mountains in December.

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mountains in December.

So you have recommendations for a high altitude mountain destination for spending maybe a month were somewhat warm in December. Maybe southern hemisphere obviously. Could be anywhere in the world. 11000 feet or so. Thanks
Old May 2, 2016, 6:25 am

11000 feet will not be warm anywhere in the world, right? Depends on what you think is warm for you. If about 70 degress is good enough you could look at Anden countries like Peru or Ecuador which should be in the 60-75 degree range during the day in December.
Old May 2, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
11000 feet will not be warm anywhere in the world, right? Depends on what you think is warm for you. If about 70 degress is good enough you could look at Anden countries like Peru or Ecuador which should be in the 60-75 degree range during the day in December.
yeah that's what I was thinking. Warm would be in that range for that time of year...

I think we could also do a different time, like Jan, Feb or March, putting us in the summer months. That changes things, doesn't it?
Old May 2, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Not really, once you hit those high levels, you're pretty much going to be in that 60-75 degree range and it will cool right off at night. At that height, it's not going to get in to the 80's if that is what you are looking for.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I spent most of a month at altitude in Ecuador in December back in the 80's, peak bagging some 18 - 20,000+/- footers with a group of like minded crazies. We had a great time. Much of the area around Quito is above 10,000' although the city is a bit less. The city is quite nice as a base. The only problem there now is the aftermath of the recent devastating earthquake. It wasn't centered near Quito but I imagine the whole country is in emergency mode. Perhaps Peru or Chile would serve.

Are you looking for altitude training opportunities?
Old May 3, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by fassy
As a complete aside, I've just run 70 degrees Fahrenheit through an online converter. It says it's 20 degrees Celsius.

That's a pretty hot day here, at sea level!!!
Old May 3, 2016, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
As a complete aside, I've just run 70 degrees Fahrenheit through an online converter. It says it's 20 degrees Celsius.

Perhaps in Scotland...

For me comfortable warm starts at 25 degrees Celsius and the comfort zone ends at about 30. Slim window, right? But 20 degrees Celsisus are ok if the sun is shining and there is no wind, but with wind and clouds can be quite chilly. As always... 'warm' is something different for everybody. For me 15-25 degrees is nice and comfortable, but certainly not 'warm'.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: AC P25
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

I'm intrigued by the relative terms people use to describe equivalent weather and their perception of it depending on their usual surroundings. I too come from a cool climate and love reading forums that say oh no November in turkey is chilly you'll have to bundle up at night. Meanwhile I go swimming by day in the ocean and barely wear long sleeves at night while everyone else has a parka on. 65-70 sounds heavenly! Above 75 and I find it too warm for heavy touring but I can be quite comfortable at 32.
I second Peru or Bolivia, or anywhere tropical at altitude really - Ethiopia, South America, even Hawaii.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
In regards to different perceptions of weather, I find this post from the Nordic Countries Forum really funny:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26130550-post17.html
Old May 3, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

what about Hawaii? Australia?

Where else in South America?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by richard
what about Hawaii? Australia?
The only spots higher than 11,000' in Hawaii are Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, and they don't have places to just hang out for a month. Unless you're an astronomer working the telescopes.

I will tell you that I nearly froze my &*@# off on Haleakala at 10,023' at sunrise, so anywhere "warm" may be only like that during the day.

The only 11,000' peak you're going to find in Australia is Mount McClintock in the Australian Antarctic Territory. I'm guessing it won't be very warm there.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11,000' isn't warm, period.

35 years ago we had stopped to take pictures of a sign. Some were pretty much just wasting time and some of the rest of us were agitating to get back on the road because it was cold.

The sign in question? "Equator".

We weren't anything like 11,000' up, either.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cuzco. Nice town, things to see in the vicinity, and it's 11,152 feet. Spend part of the time at Lake Titicaca, 12,500 feet. Lots of stuff to see/do there as well. Visit La Paz fairly near the lake, 11,913 feet.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Not quite the altitude you're looking for, but we enjoyed a week in San Pedro de Atacama, Chile (8,000') in March and could easily have stayed much longer without running out of things to do. Several days we were up around 14,000' but we didn't sleep there. There were lots of places to look up at from that altitude, too. It was T-shirts and shorts weather in town, but chillier at higher altitudes. (Plus, you want to get to the geysers before sunrise because the sun kills off most of the steam, and the stars tend to look their best after dark.)
Old May 5, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cuzco might be a great choice. Thanks. And for the San Pedro de Atacama, Chile idea. Been to lake titicaca. It's great. And la Paz has some interest. Been there in Bolivia. Wouldn't want to spend a month there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.