Search

Passenger Shaming Makes National News Again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Passenger Shaming Makes National News Again

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2016/04/11/passenger-shaming/82785276/
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 355F1
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2016/04/11/passenger-shaming/82785276/
The link doesn't work.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The link doesn't work.
It was probably posted from a mobile version of the FT web site which doesn't automatically make links out of URLs.

For those who don't want to cut and paste: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ming/82785276/
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
There is a subset of passengers who need to modify their onboard behavior. The chance that the problem can be captured adequately in a photo or video AND that the person will respond by correcting the behavior in the future is minuscule. Therefore trying to embarrass people who annoy you is probably fruitless in addition to rude.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
It was probably posted from a mobile version of the FT web site which doesn't automatically make links out of URLs.

For those who don't want to cut and paste: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ming/82785276/
It's Christopher Elliott.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
He could have made his point simply: Since shaming travel columnists is clearly ineffective, shaming passengers won't work either.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by nsx
..Since shaming travel columnists is clearly ineffective, shaming passengers won't work either.
^

The whine is strong in that article and full of the prejudice and apocalyptic nonsense the perpetually offended disseminate.

A shaming video of someone who loads their handluggage above another seat or reclines their seat would simply be a very lame video with zero likes ... not the end of civilisation.

And no wonder the author is even afraid of 'clapping' ... and adult with the mindset of a college student ...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:48 am

Any airline employee caught publicly shaming a passenger should be immediately fired. No excuse for any employee to demean a client in a public forum.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by susanc
Any airline employee caught publicly shaming a passenger should be immediately fired. No excuse for any employee to demean a client in a public forum.
+1
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by susanc
We are not clients to airlines, we are self-loading cargo.

Which company would treat customers the way airlines do?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by weero
Which company would treat customers the way airlines do?
Telcom companies and insurance companies often enough play in the same league. Sometimes much worse, i.e. the insurance company which decided against all reasonable arguements your claim is not valid.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Irony is not lost on me that Elliott decries this so called passenger shaming and then ends the article by linking to popular passenger shaming sites.

Also, another poorly written column. I do agree that airline employees engaging in this behavior should be fired, or at least otherwise disciplined within the confines of their CBAs.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Telcom companies and insurance companies often enough play in the same league. Sometimes much worse, i.e. the insurance company which decided against all reasonable arguements your claim is not valid.
Fair enough ... my personal experiences with insurances were quite fine but telecom, I strongly agree.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:56 am

Not specific to this article, but more general to Mr. Elliott - Senationalized pandering. Nothing to see here. Moving on.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Irony is not lost on me that Elliott decries this so called passenger shaming and then ends the article by linking to popular passenger shaming sites.

Also, another poorly written column. I do agree that airline employees engaging in this behavior should be fired, or at least otherwise disciplined within the confines of their CBAs.
Agreed on all points.

I checked out the first passenger shaming site listed. It looks more like a product of the owner's self-indulgence than anything that could ever be useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.