Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airlines will be around in 25 years time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What airlines will be around in 25 years time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by mapu
Most of the people I know who travel for business (myself included) book F. If there is no F class cabin to begin with, I won't even consider flying that particular airline.
I would say you're definitely in the minority. The vast majority of business travelers I know (myself included) fly J at best. Heck, my previous company (European financial services) made anybody under Executive Director level fly Y everywhere - including 12 hour long hauls.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbn42
Because many non-frequent fliers consider the ability to get on the plane and sit where you want to be a benefit, and the legacies have been scaling back their loyalty programs recently to the point where even people on Flyertalk are concluding that it's not worth it anymore. Every major US legacy has had a devaluation recently, and no doubt there will be more.
Legacies also have the ability to sit where you want. It's called "Seat Selection" and you can do it at home when you book. The best part is that there is no boarding scrum to claim it.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BearX220
As operator of the world's largest 737 fleet (715 on strength, 500+ orders / options, launch customer for MAX 7 and MAX 8), Southwest wields outsize influence over Boeing aircraft design and pricing.

As pioneers of a successful hub-free point-to-point network model, Southwest provided the operational blueprint for numerous other important carriers, from EasyJet to RyanAir to Air Asia to Fly Dubai to Azul.

As resistors of US cartel lockstep conventions in areas from passenger fees to inflight product design, Southwest provides the only meaningful comprehensive alternative to the majors in the US domestic market. And when Southwest breaks ranks with a new initiative (dollar-based loyalty rewards, for example), it often influences the majors to fall in line.

And with 129,087,000 pax boardings in 2014 per IATA, Southwest is the second largest passenger carrier on earth -- just a blip behind Delta at 129,433,000. That is influence.

Something like 64% of Americans do not hold passports. And that hardly means 36% are flying overseas; in truth, less than 5 percent of Americans -- 14.6 million -- travel abroad for business or leisure, optimistic estimate. See this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/willia...b_1920287.html

So while Southwest may not have anything useful for you (or whomever "us" is), that hardly makes them irrelevant. In truth, it is you that are a minority / peripheral cohort of the traveling public. The FT worldview is spectacularly out of sync with real-world priorities and conditions.

Again, most people don't care as they're never getting up there. And having seen my share of UA/AA/DL/AS F cabins the past few years, I now care a lot less, too.
I used air asia especially for short haul in southeast asia and they have been established since 10 years ago and it is strong as low cost airline and i predict will be available for next 20 years
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I fear that the flag carriers will be with us for the rest of our lives ...

Originally Posted by pinniped
Spirit will be huge. Just gotta get those A380's certified to carry 1,500 people.
... across all three decks ....
Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
..This is accomplished by having passengers lay down in cavernous A380s that have no seats..
I misread this as 'carnivorous' ... that way they'd have massively reduced fuel use as well.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mapu
Most of the people I know who travel for business (myself included) book F. If there is no F class cabin to begin with, I won't even consider flying that particular airline.
If by F you mean a proper first class, your travel footprint must be very small.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If by F you mean a proper first class, your travel footprint must be very small.
What normal people would call premium economy, we call first class in the US.

Last edited by TOMFORD; May 1, 2016 at 7:28 am
Old May 1, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
What normal people would call premium economy, we call first class in the US.
International or Domestic? And on which carrier? E+ seats vary massively in quality.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I was being facetious. But if you want to play for real - US domestic F should no way be called F. J if I have never flown premium cabin and don't know what e+ on international routes look like.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:22 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Now, heavily subsidized national carriers like Air Canada, Air France, Lufthansa and SAS will probably stick around. But as to the American carriers, who knows?
what are you talking about? air canada isn't subsidized, it's nickle and dimed by every level of government. its main hub is the most expensive airport in the world to land and park in. extremely expensive tsa and air traffic fees are passed directly to the consumer. british columbia charges an excise tax on jet fuel. there are national laws that dictate down to where hq can be located.

however i would agree that paradoxically they are extremely well protected, looking at how the feds shafted aveos (mx) workers and how the feds shaft consumers time and time again by blocking outside competition from the likes of ek and qr
Old May 3, 2016, 7:25 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I was being facetious. But if you want to play for real - US domestic F should no way be called F. J if I have never flown premium cabin and don't know what e+ on international routes look like.
agreed

ua domestic f is like flying sq y, only that sq y has better food service and drinks. although ua does have directv and the f seat is more comfortable
Old May 5, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
International or Domestic? And on which carrier? E+ seats vary massively in quality.
Not really - Premium Economy =/= E+ ... I found all PEs I ever rode to be comparable to each other in terms of hardware. Much unlike the different coach and Biz seats across legacy carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.