Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What airlines will be around in 25 years time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What airlines will be around in 25 years time?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I see a few LCC dead, just not sure which ones. Sun Country? Frontier?

Hawaiian might be gone.

I see Delta, American, Southwest as the big ones.

United, I see dead. It may be broken up and sold.
United SFO - American
United DEN - American
United IAD - Delta
United IAH - Jet Blue
United EWR - American
United Pacific routes - American
some planes to Delta, American, Jet Blue

Last edited by Dean1; Apr 5, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dean1
25 years from now will be 2041. What airlines will be around?

If we look at 25 years ago, that was 1991. Some airlines around were....

Pan Am
Northwest
Continental (still alive now and called United)
America West (still alive now and called American)
Aloha
American Trans
Braniff (3)
Midway
i think emirates will dominate as they are supported by government and also expand their routes to more cities
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
That'll definitely drive substantial growth in China, India, and a few other places.

Wonder if the percentage of people flying in the U.S. will remain as high as it is today between lack of airline competition and a middle class that will probably continue to hollow out. It will depend a lot on ULCC's, I guess.
Well, remember we are talking about 25 years..a long time. Enough fora few more recessions and booms. I can see that happening for sure over the next 5 to 10 though.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
If the oil in the Mideast dries up the ME3 will disappear.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by willythomas561
i think emirates will dominate as they are supported by government and also expand their routes to more cities
If we were going to eliminate all airlines that are govt supported - than there will be nothing left flying in North America after the next economic downturn.

No govt bailout/loans = no airlines in North America
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Air Koryo will buy SQ and enhance their product. Either that or Scoot will kill off the ME3.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
If we were going to eliminate all airlines that are govt supported - than there will be nothing left flying in North America after the next economic downturn.

No govt bailout/loans = no airlines in North America
agree with you because financial cost for airline business is so big and competition is very tight
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Now, heavily subsidized national carriers like Air Canada, Air France, Lufthansa and SAS will probably stick around. But as to the American carriers, who knows?
Can you go into specifics of how these are heavily subsidised? (I'll ignore for the moment that Ch 11 is a first cousin of subsidisation).
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:41 am
Suspended

Years down the road, I only see DL, AA, UA, and WN being the only certain carriers left, with AS (and VX), B6, NK, G4, and HA either shutting down, merging with each other/the other big 4, or becoming much larger/different than they are now.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Can you go into specifics of how these are heavily subsidised? (I'll ignore for the moment that Ch 11 is a first cousin of subsidisation).
The entire aviation industry, worldwide, is heavily subsidized through protectionist policies, friendly local political accommodation, and cozy relationship with regulators.

Not to mention that most of the infrastructure besides the planes themselves is publicly funded. (I believe this is a good thing for many reasons...logistics, safety, standardization, etc....but it's a form of subsidization.)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Air Canada for example, successfully lobbied the government to stop ME3 from flying to Canada. Instead of competing, they are happy (as a public company!) to receive a govt subsidy in the form of interference/protectionism. Apart from that, they received bailout handouts in 2009.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
A big question! I am sure some people (analysts) spend all day on this sort of thing. Balance sheets are a good clue. Oddly, and against purchaser sympathies, being strict with customers over flexibilities - making people pay to keep profits up - would be another green flag. And, companies that indicate they won't be badgered into subsidising other plans, like new airports, roadways etc that aren't their core business.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
The EMB 145 will celebrate its first RTW flight.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:06 am

Programs: BA
It was notable that at deregulation in 1986, the US airline network still bore a strong relationship to the airmail routes given out by the government in the early 1930s, and that even today the main hubs tend to be those carried forward from that time. The United hubs of NYC (Newark), Chicago, Denver and San Francisco correspond exactly to their original Mainline transcontinental route of 85 years ago. American's transcontinental route was somewhat to the south, through Dallas to LA.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
In the USA I see the smaller airlines combining together over the next 25 years. By 2041 we could have 6 airlines:
1 ULCC: Spirit+Frontier+Allegiant
1 LCC: Southwest
1 Upscale LCC: Alaska+Virgin America+JetBlue+Hawaiian
3 Global airlines: American, United, and Delta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.