FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1744883-do-you-dress-up-fly-premium-cabin.html)

TOMFORD Feb 8, 2016 3:06 pm

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Business (and similar) travel aside, do you dress up to fly premium cabin? Granted, "dress up" means different things to different people, so "dress up" here just means more dressed up than what you normally wear. If so, why?

abmj-jr Feb 8, 2016 3:18 pm

Not a thing different between Y, J or F. Comfort over all.

TOMFORD Feb 8, 2016 3:21 pm

I dress like I normally would, or I would dress down. In premium cabin, I dress down because I don't feel the need to dress up to show that I'm not a hobo; in economy, I dress down because dressing up in economy is an oxymoron and because I don't want my good clothes to get dirty. Also, dressing down is way more comfortable.

deniah Feb 8, 2016 4:07 pm

90% consideration of departure/destination (i.e. Purpose)

10% consideration of flying environment (cabin temp? Will i sleep? Are pjs provided?)

Dressing for decorum or with consideration of other passengers? No

Gamecock Feb 8, 2016 5:13 pm

Tux with tails? Nah.

I dress for comfort, which means loose fitting khakis and a polo shirt.

dvs7310 Feb 8, 2016 5:29 pm

Absolutely not, I dress in stylish casual on a daily basis (usually designer jeans and a polo or sweater) and that's exactly how I fly in Int F, C, or Y. Having said that you'd never catch me dead in track pants outside of my home either so I'd also never wear them on an airplane.

tartempion Feb 8, 2016 5:38 pm

I certainly never would travel in J dressed in a short and a "marcelleke"

(marcelleke (The ~, ~ s, ~ s)

Sleeveless, cut at the neck, then shirt that is worn as "onderlijfke" or T-shirt.

VD2015 Online: Belgian-Dutch , spoken language. NL: singlet

<Fr. le marcel.
Legend has it marcelleke would have named the boxer Marcel Cerdan. More likely the name originated in the 19th century when the "Etablissements Marcel" the garment fabricated in series.

NL: singlet
In Be: bodice , tunic , ongerliefke , bovenhemmeke , hemmeke , bovenlijfke

Under my sweater I always have a marcelleke too.

demorgen.be "Who then is not running in this heat in a marcelleke" (H.Camps)

Redhead Feb 8, 2016 5:38 pm

Nope!

LETTERBOY Feb 8, 2016 6:05 pm

Unless I'm at work, a job interview, a funeral, or some kind of religious service (and maybe even then), I'm wearing shorts/sweats and a t-shirt.

camachinist Feb 8, 2016 6:11 pm

When flying international F or J, we always dressed business casual and I'd bring some lounging pants and a sleeping top to change into at night. Most of the time we were flying to Asia or Oceania, so fairly long flights. Domestically, nah, just Levi's and a collared shirt. I've never flown for business, only visiting friends or going on vacation. I know my dad, who wore a suit every day, looked forward to vacation travel to get as far away from that suit as possible. :D

TOMFORD Feb 8, 2016 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by camachinist (Post 26154272)
When flying international F or J, we always dressed business casual

Why do you do this?

ysolde Feb 8, 2016 6:22 pm

No. I don't believe in dressing in gym attire or beach attire unless I'm going to the gym or to the beach. That said, when I am traveling, I wear comfortable clothes that clean easily (I am notorious for spilling salad dressing and Diet Coke all over myself during turbulence, and I have learned to avoid soup and anything involving tomato sauce in flight). My "uniform" is knit trousers (you'd have to look closely and carefully to know they are knit) in a light or mid-weight wool, turtleneck, and sweater three seasons of the year. There is usually a silk scarf tied around the handle of my handbag, so that I can wrap it round my neck if the cabin gets cold. I wear my heaviest shoes, then remove them on board and wear slippers. In summer, it's a much lighter variation of the same. If pjs are offered, I change into them.

Badenoch Feb 8, 2016 6:23 pm

It's a flight not a frigging fashion show. I wear what I want don't care what other people are wearing.

CodeAdam10 Feb 8, 2016 6:27 pm

I used to. Maybe because I was younger or partly because it was more common many years ago. Nowadays I care most about my comfort...flying (premium cabin or not) gets tiring very quickly once you do it often enough and anything you can do to feel comfortable helps a lot.

CKA1 Feb 8, 2016 6:52 pm

My Experiences

I used to always fly in a business suit even one one cabin planes, because it meant I could bring one more suit with me than if I crammed it into my suitcase. These days, I've learned to wear practical clothing regardless of where I'm sitting. I don't think I would I wear my dressiest black suit unless traveling for church business.

When I fly at the front, I don't usually dress up in the traditional sense. I feel that slacks, a sweater, a casual leather or cotton coat, and sometimes a shirt which can be worn with a tie at a later point are enough.

I look at it like this. Can the coat and shoes be worn for other purposes? If there was something I'm wearing which could not be used elsewhere, I won't wear it.

The only exception is when traveling purely for pleasure. I will not seek an upgrade as I don't have status or pay for the premium seat. In that case, I typically wear what I'd like to wear the next day on the ground.

I've never flown TPAC or TATL so the longest I've ever been on a plane isn't that far. I've met people who will wear say, yoga pants and a tee, but it isn't my style.

Chuck

satman40 Feb 8, 2016 8:25 pm

No way, i put my PJ's on after departure...

have you ever set in FC on an International flight,,,,

LtKernelPanic Feb 8, 2016 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by deniah (Post 26153803)
90% consideration of departure/destination (i.e. Purpose)

10% consideration of flying environment (cabin temp? Will i sleep? Are pjs provided?)

Dressing for decorum or with consideration of other passengers? No

I do the same. I'm not going to dress like a slob but I'm also not going to dress up unless 100% necessary when flying in any cabin.

krazykanuck Feb 8, 2016 8:33 pm

I wear basically the same thing every time I fly, regardless of cabin or purpose. Sneakers, blue jeans, button down shirt. Polo shirt in the summer.

CKA1 Feb 8, 2016 8:41 pm

I will, if it's a really long flight, or involves flying somewhere with very hot weather, wear one of my seersucker suits. I find them as comfortable as p.j.'s but it's an actual suit. Worn with a long sleeved white shirt and a pair of boots or loafers, I have a very easy time. Compared to say, a binding pair of jeans and a cheap tee shirt, I can travel for hours of bus rides and plane rides without any discomfort.

Chuck

MSPeconomist Feb 8, 2016 8:48 pm

I used to dress up when upgrades were done at the airport and were discretionary. I probably still would if hoping for an OPUP from an airline that doesn't use some ordering rule based on status, fare class, etc. so that basically airport staff are picking the passengers to be given these "free" upgrades.

The last time I remember deciding to dress up for a flight was when I was flying home from Europe during a major (pilots') strike.

One of my mentors was a firm believer that one is treated better during travel if one dresses up a bit to look professional. For a long time, I always followed that advice when flying. Now I sometimes try to dress up a bit to check into certain hotels. I also dress for dinner in a good restaurant (and sometimes even to use a good hotel lounge in the evening).

raybolt Feb 8, 2016 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 (Post 26154327)
I used to. Maybe because I was younger or partly because it was more common many years ago. Nowadays I care most about my comfort...flying (premium cabin or not) gets tiring very quickly once you do it often enough and anything you can do to feel comfortable helps a lot.

I also used to dress up when i was younger. During that time (college and shortly after) i definitely felt like i was treated better when i wasn't in jeans and tee/sweatshirt. Now i dress comfortable, especially for long-haul.

Dan

chornedsnorkack Feb 8, 2016 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by CKA1 (Post 26154414)
I used to always fly in a business suit even one one cabin planes, because it meant I could bring one more suit with me than if I crammed it into my suitcase.

Logical. If you need a suit at destination then it would be better to wear the suit and stuff casual dress in luggage - rather than arrive with your suit damaged from being stuffed in luggage and need to find iron in a hurry. Right?

MSPeconomist Feb 8, 2016 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack (Post 26155268)
Logical. If you need a suit at destination then it would be better to wear the suit and stuff casual dress in luggage - rather than arrive with your suit damaged from being stuffed in luggage and need to find iron in a hurry. Right?

The suit or other business clothing could also be stained or wrinkled during the flight and look much worse than if it had been packed in a suitcase. Or the business clothes could end up being smelly after someone sleeps in them during a long flight.

CKA1 Feb 8, 2016 11:28 pm

I look at it like this. Assume you have space for one suit and a couple shirts. You could pack a suit, or you can pack business casual gear and wear the suit. I choose to both pack and wear a suit, resulting in at least one viable option for business. My private business (away from the church) is in sales and if I'm traveling on business, I'm hopefully working very hard.

I do sometimes bring a swimsuit if the hotel has a pool. In all honesty, for work related travel, my primary concern is a bed, a private toilet and a shower. Pleasure travel is much different, but I'm not a person who books into the Hilton for a 48 hour trip.

The other advantage to wearing a suit on the plane is that, regardless of where you're sitting, you don't have to go change from a tracksuit to a business suit. Seersucker is both practical and appropriate for business. If I were to sleep in it, I'd remove my jacket. And if there is food on the plane? I generally pass, as often I have client dinners and getting wooed by suppliers, so I'm never hungry. For four hours, I'm willing to wear a suit, and pack another.

Chuck

darthbimmer Feb 8, 2016 11:29 pm

I dress for the purpose and location of my trip. Typically I am dressed a bit nicer than my peers would in the same situation, but that's just me. I don't do it to look the part for premium class. I certainly don't do it with the expectation that dressing better in and of itself will fetch me a free upgrade. Plenty of jerks own nice clothes. I figured that out after a few years on my own, and I think most other adults have, too.

HelloKittysMum Feb 9, 2016 4:53 am

Comfort all the way. My typical journeys are in Y and if I do door to door in under 24 hours it's a short one. I wear smart casual but comfy so jersey dresses or trouser suits or trousers and a tunic plus a DKNY cosy because they can be used as a cardigan, a wrap, a pillow...

My big problem is dressing for climate. Am currently in Lusaka where it is around 28c. Am leaving Thursday night for home here it is currently 1c. Either I leave here in warm clothes and look ridiculous or I arrive home in clothes not suitable for UK in winter. Have to have layers to add. (Once arrived home in birkenstocks to find snow on the ground and while my husband brought a ski jacket to the airport he didn't know or think to bring proper shoes for me!)

dchristiva Feb 9, 2016 8:01 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 26153574)
Not a thing different between Y, J or F. Comfort over all.

Agreed. Not to mention, if I end up in business or first, it's usually by luck (upgrade) at flight time.

pinniped Feb 9, 2016 8:12 am

No, I can't think of any time where a public transportation journey of any type has affected my choice of dress, other than maybe to dress more comfortably.

lloydah Feb 9, 2016 8:19 am

Casual always but with an eye on the cut and colour. Rather be wearing some good casuals that have a bit of style than expensive stuff that looks drab and ill fitting. Probably doesn't apply to any FTers ;) but I think its just as important to make sure you're fresh smelling as well. Have sat next to suits with BO enough times to know it's not always the cut of the clothes but what's under it that's important.

pinniped Feb 9, 2016 8:23 am

Originally Posted by lloydah (Post 26156913)
I think its just as important to make sure you're fresh smelling as well.

Indeed, I like to use about a half a bottle of Drakkar before I board any flight.

NeilA Feb 9, 2016 8:34 am

If it is long haul, I wear a tracksuit for two reasons. 1- I will probably spill food or drink on myself, and want to save my nice clothes 2- wearing pants on long haul tends to "bag out" the knees, again I want to save my good clothes for the destination.

Domestic- I try to dress smart.

Kagehitokiri Feb 9, 2016 8:37 am

no tom ford suits in F?

some of us only wear business-ish casual, nothing to do with travel

weltfrieden Feb 9, 2016 10:05 am

there is no such thing as "premium" cabin. it's not like going to a fancy restaurant.

I have seen men and women in int'l first class who act like they were going to backyard BBQ/swim parties.

TOMFORD Feb 9, 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 26157029)
no tom ford suits in F?

some of us only wear business-ish casual, nothing to do with travel

I don't always have a (TF) jacket with me, but when I do, I put it on over my crappy t shirts on US domestic flights because the wire/plastic hangers ruin the structural integrity of the shoulders. I don't care if it's a 45 minute flight. If it's international long haul and they got those quality hangers, I ask the FA if I can hang the jacket up myself.

blitzen Feb 9, 2016 2:15 pm

Do you &quot;dress up&quot; to fly premium cabin?

Track suits ? I would never wear that on a flight (or outside the house at all).
I have certain minimum standards but they have nothing to do with flying ( Eco/ Biz / First the same).
Ok I am a snob but since when is it acceptable to wear PJ pants outdoors/shopping/....?

Artpen100 Feb 9, 2016 2:22 pm

I don't care what others wear, but I am usually travelling for work, in which case I wear something I could get away with wearing to work when I land, just in case my checked luggage is delayed. Even for personal travel, I will usually wear a travel blazer so I have lots of pockets for phone, papers, mifi, trail mix, charger, etc.

Austin787 Feb 10, 2016 10:35 am

When I fly, I wear jeans and a solid color shirt with front pocket (for cards, etc). In economy and premium cabins.

Tchiowa Feb 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD (Post 26153512)
Business (and similar) travel aside, do you dress up to fly premium cabin? Granted, "dress up" means different things to different people, so "dress up" here just means more dressed up than what you normally wear. If so, why?

If you mean do I wear pants? Usually. That's about as dressy as I'm going to get. Loose fitting pants or sweat pants. T-shirt or loose polo.

TObject Feb 10, 2016 12:42 pm

A hefty gold chain makes track suit respectable attire. Precious metal prices are down, get your gold chains gentlemen.

durberville Feb 10, 2016 2:48 pm

I'm flying EK F this Friday. Like every time I fly, no matter what COS, I wear the same thing: Roots sweatpants, fluffy socks, t-shirt, and a university hoodie. Once on board, I'm in PJs within minutes.

I'm always the classiest guy at the EK bar ;)