Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol [that you brought onboard]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol [that you brought onboard]?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Maybe that was because of the loud burp that accompanied the handoff...
Thanks for the LOL!!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Nope. It would require a corkscrew.

I do wish I could bring my own wine & let FA serve - I'd even be happy
to pay a corkage fee - just to drink decent wine.

FAA has determined this metal tube is not a flying restaurant.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by sethb
I've carried on 4 100ml bottles of scotch (but didn't consume any on board). The TSA didn't care; they fit in the quart bag.
Glenmorangie makes a wonderful sampler pack of 4-100ml bottles. When I carried the bottles through TPA the TSA officer noticed their presence in my 3-1-1 and asked where I'd bought them.

I cracked one open on the flight having asked the FA for a glass of ice water. The water was replaced with something far more appealing. No one seemed to mind.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Glenmorangie makes a wonderful sampler pack of 4-100ml bottles. When I carried the bottles through TPA the TSA officer noticed their presence in my 3-1-1 and asked where I'd bought them.

I cracked one open on the flight having asked the FA for a glass of ice water. The water was replaced with something far more appealing. No one seemed to mind.
Why not just ask for a glass of ice without water? You're diluting the drink before you've even consumed any

I'm sure it'll look odd, but just say you're warm or something
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Why not just ask for a glass of ice without water? You're diluting the drink before you've even consumed any

I'm sure it'll look odd, but just say you're warm or something
Diluting the drink? Not a chance. Drink the water. Then pour in the single malt.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Diluting the drink? Not a chance. Drink the water. Then pour in the single malt.
I LOLd. I guess it's good to hydrate up eh?

Still LOLing.

Genius. Hats off to you! ^

You and yyznomad would get along very well
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:42 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
In 2011 we flew HND-OKA on JAL. On domestic flights JAL basically serves only green tea in Y. Lots of people bought bento boxes from the counter next to the gate, we did the same and I also bought three beers, which I drank aboard. The FAs had no issue with this. In fact, I was offered a "better seat" (=exit row seat) when we had taken off. After quick chat with Mrs Banker ("Are you OK with the kids?" "Yes, yes. Go.") I took the seat.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SPBanker
In 2011 we flew HND-OKA on JAL. On domestic flights JAL basically serves only green tea in Y. Lots of people bought bento boxes from the counter next to the gate, we did the same and I also bought three beers, which I drank aboard. The FAs had no issue with this. In fact, I was offered a "better seat" (=exit row seat) when we had taken off. After quick chat with Mrs Banker ("Are you OK with the kids?" "Yes, yes. Go.") I took the seat.
Given that you left the Mrs. with the kids, how many beers did you take with you?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ACCDraw
Nope. It would require a corkscrew.

I do wish I could bring my own wine & let FA serve - I'd even be happy
to pay a corkage fee - just to drink decent wine.

FAA has determined this metal tube is not a flying restaurant.
Agreed! A nice 30 year old Bordeaux would be so nice compared to what is served by the airlines.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hertz 5*
It is so easy to smuggle alcohol on board, countless ways. And then so simple to consume once in your seat w/o being caught. Thankfully I don't have to do it, but for those that do, I should perhaps write a manual. Heh, one just needs to know how the system works and then can use your imagination to thwart a ridiculous and oppressive system.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:26 am

on ua before the free beer and wine on overseas flights i would always have a 375ml bottle per flight. i wouldn't even hide it, no free booze is bs. should i have gotten caught, i would have just smiled been polite and that would have been that. but i never got caught cause i was good.

and now wine and beer is free on ua overseas flights.

also in yyc they used to have a liquor store post security that would sell individual tallboys of various beers. i do not recall if i downed said cans before or during one of many yycyyz redeyes i have taken. but i do recall having a few of those.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by chrisbarnett01
I have been given "road beers" in a few different lounges around the world, and carried them onto the plane without issue.

However, on an Air France flight I did get a dirty look from the FA when I gave her my empty 12 oz can.
I can't remember where or when (really). But in the past yeara, at a domestic lounge, the lounge bartender offered my wife a togo wine in a coffee cup to drink while boarding.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
No. Never been that desperate.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
No. Never been that desperate.
Finally! Someone with some sense.

I've never been that desperate either. I kind of feel sorry for those that are.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can understand that if someone arrives in the lounge and gets a drink, perhaps something paid such as a special wine or premium hard liquor, and then the flight is immediately called (perhaps due to a delay, so that the person didn't expect to need to board so quickly), it's not unreasonable to discretely take the drink with one out of the lounge to consume in the airport or on board, even if this violates the rules. I'd rather see someone bring the drink with them than consume it all in one gulp before leaving the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.