Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol [that you brought onboard]?

Old Nov 10, 15, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Inspired by a recent blog post that I saw.

On a SU flight PKC-SVO, all the way in the back of IL-96, my seat mate and I brought .5l bottle of vodka to make the ~10 hour ride go faster and smoother.

Right after making an announcement that personal alcoholic beverages were prohibited, FA offered my seatmate and I a few plastic cups and a carton of juice (I think it was orange) so we “didn’t look like a bunch of bums” sipping straight straight from the bottle. I hear that Aeroflot just isn't the same anymore.

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol while flying?
Old Nov 10, 15, 11:10 am

Darn, I thought this was going to be about home brewing. I have made my own Mead and consumed that, but I have never brought alcohol onto a plane as a carryon nor have I consumed anything alcoholic not from the FA onboard.
Old Nov 10, 15, 11:21 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Have you ever consumed your own alcohol?

Don't tell anyone, but since my favorite dark rum is not on board, I sometimes bring it along to mix it up with the free alcohol I get in F.
Old Nov 10, 15, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Don't tell anyone, but since my favorite dark rum is not on board, I sometimes bring it along to mix it up with the free alcohol I get in F.
In the pre-drinks ban days, it was not uncommon for me to show up with my own bottle of coke...
Old Nov 10, 15, 11:30 am

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Absolutely not. Wouldn't get caught doing this.
Old Nov 10, 15, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Some FTers were doing mileage runs to LA & getting a quick bite to eat at the In-n-Out Burger next to LAX. They filled up some travel-sized Listerine bottles w/ rum. I think some were sitting next to each other on the plane so it didn't look that weird to pour listerine into their coca-cola. Others waited until they got to In-n-Out.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 10, 15, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I haven't done it in years, but wouldn't be averse to going that route again, especially on longer flights.

Back when I was young and didn't know better, a flight attendant caught me and admonished me. She didn't keep me from doing drinking (I only had 1-2 airplane bottles), but explained the rules in no uncertain terms. So I understand the reason for being clandestine. The Listerine bottle is an interesting idea, though I'm more of a brown liquor guy, so that could be a problem. Though I guess there's the "old school" Listerine.
Old Nov 10, 15, 12:10 pm

I did it once, but I honestly didn't think there was anything wrong with the practice. I'd purchased wine in Tetras at duty free and helped myself. This was on Air Canada. I've noticed on Sunwing and Westjet flights they tell you up front it's not allowed. So sorry AC!!!!

That being said, I'm far too thrifty to pay $6 for a drink, but the fact that you have to use a CC seals the deal for me.
Old Nov 10, 15, 12:24 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some foreign carriers that are "dry" allow you to bring your own alcohol. There can be a bar at your seat or the FAs can serve it.
Old Nov 10, 15, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Some foreign carriers that are "dry" allow you to bring your own alcohol. There can be a bar at your seat or the FAs can serve it.
Kuwait? Nah, doubt it...
Old Nov 10, 15, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I've been liking a touch of elderflower in my G&Ts lately so I have a small 50ml bottle of St. Germain in my toiletry kit that allows me to put a touch into the drinks the FA brings me.
Old Nov 10, 15, 1:22 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dchristiva View Post
The Listerine bottle is an interesting idea, though I'm more of a brown liquor guy, so that could be a problem. Though I guess there's the "old school" Listerine.
I wasn't the one traveling w/ the Listerine, but my assumption was that the TSA folk (if they even bothered looking) probably assumed that it was the "old school" listerine (ie, brown vs. mint blue). The key, of course, is to make sure that the listerine bottle is washed out thoroughly so the booze doesn't taste like listerine

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 15, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
No never, but I have a co-worker who is proud that she almost got kicked off a flight with a massive homemade White Russian. Obviously this is pre 3-1-1 and luckily it was a vacation flight not work travel.
Old Nov 10, 15, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

I bring my own minis that I get from F on prior flights
Old Nov 10, 15, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
No, but the last time I flew Aeroflot from Tallin to Moscow, the back of the seat in front of me fell off during takeoff and there was hay on the floor as they used the aircraft to transport animals at night.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: