Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are Passport photos so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by shuigao
I take and print my own photos, using an entry-level canon inkjet printer.
That's exactly what I did. Had someone take my picture standing in front of a white wall, found a website where I could upload and crop it as needed and printed it using my Canon printer. Had no issues with it at all.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by sedubby
The fact you can photoshop your passport photo (even if just the background) doesn't bode well for nat security...can't believe that's allowed.
Remember that your initial passport must be applied for in person, along with presentation of approved photo ID. Presumably one of the major reasons for this is to ensure that you're not submitting an application with a photo of someone else, or a heavily altered photo.

Renewals require submission of your previous passport. I assume one standard check is to compare the pictures--obviously some aging is to be expected, but esp. with facial recognition software, if the photos appear too different I assume a red flag will be raised.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Wow, some of the prices being quoted here by those based in N. America really are expensive. But then, it never occurred to me that you might pay a real, live person to take a passport photo. I take it you don't have the photo booths that are ubiquitous in train stations, bus stations and so on here? Not that they aren't themselves frustrating - not working, only taking pound coins, etc. but at least they are not disastrously expensive.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Wow, some of the prices being quoted here by those based in N. America really are expensive. But then, it never occurred to me that you might pay a real, live person to take a passport photo. I take it you don't have the photo booths that are ubiquitous in train stations, bus stations and so on here? Not that they aren't themselves frustrating - not working, only taking pound coins, etc. but at least they are not disastrously expensive.
Even if the photo from one of these booths meets the U.S. passport requirement of being 2" (51mm) square, it's hard to ensure that the distance from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head and the distance from the bottom edge of the photo to your eyes are both within the allowable limits without a good deal of (time-consuming and expensive) experimentation. It might work for documents whose issuers aren't as picky about that sort of thing.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, you can dig out your camera, look up the guidelines on size/borders/restrictions, remember not to smile, download and crop/process, upload, drive to pickup, and hope it's right.

Or you can pay someone $8, stand there, and be done in 2 minutes. Some people have difference preferences - value their free time more highly than others.
This.

Originally Posted by Often1

As you can see, there are two camps. Those who are willing to pay to just have it done and not deal with it and those willing to expend a bit of effort and save.
I'm in the former camp, especially since passport photos only need to be done every 10 years.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:03 pm

There's an app for that

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....passportphoto
Old Nov 6, 2015, 5:40 pm

Some countries (3rd world) just take the photo on the spot by digital camera at the passport counters, therefore no need for doing photos before appearing at the passport office.

Why can't these "highly developed" countries do that in 2015 ?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cdn1
Some countries (3rd world) just take the photo on the spot by digital camera at the passport counters, therefore no need for doing photos before appearing at the passport office.

Because that would involve going to a passport office! Here, at least, passport applications (other than your first) are done by post. It would be a seriously retrograde step to force people to appear in person for the sole purpose of having their photograph taken!
Old Nov 7, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by davie355
The standards are simple and the experts in question are drugstore employees with a pocket digital camera. US Department of State explicitly allows non-professionally taken photos.
Canadian passport photos must be taken by a professional photographer and have some fairly strict standards--no flash glare/shadows, uniform lighting, specific facial measurements. With the right setup you could get the same results at home but it's not really worth the time and investment.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
Even if the photo from one of these booths meets the U.S. passport requirement of being 2" (51mm) square, it's hard to ensure that the distance from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head and the distance from the bottom edge of the photo to your eyes are both within the allowable limits without a good deal of (time-consuming and expensive) experimentation. It might work for documents whose issuers aren't as picky about that sort of thing.
Not true in the UK booths referred to.

The booths have markings on the wall to the side of the lens, and you adjust the seat position until your features align. The camera has a glass in front of it which doesn't affect the photo, but allows you to see your reflection and the marks at the same time.

Takes about 30 seconds and costs zero.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, you can dig out your camera, look up the guidelines on size/borders/restrictions, remember not to smile, download and crop/process, upload, drive to pickup, and hope it's right.

Or you can pay someone $8, stand there, and be done in 2 minutes. Some people have difference preferences - value their free time more highly than others.

YMMV. People.
i do a lot of image processing, I keep the camera on my desk and have a variety of photo papers on hand. It took me less time to do two sets of passport photos (son and self) + spares for other documents than it would have taken me to drive to Kinko's and get them done there. It wasn't about cost, it was about time and hassle.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:34 pm

Since I was afraid of messing it up I had my photo taken at the passport office here and it came out like crap. I was surprised they even accepted it. Even the CBP officer who did my GE interview said while it was acceptable it's a pretty bad photo. Hopefully I don't have any issues using said passport for the first time in a couple weeks. Next time I'll probably just take my own or that the minimum go elsewhere to have it done.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by cdn1

Appearing at passport office? How quaint..

NZ has online renewals, submit digital photo online, enter details and credit card info.. new passport typically arrives 3-5 days later. Only for standard renewals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.