Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are Passport photos so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Why are Passport photos so expensive?

While apps and self printing are a good option in many cases, there are instances where the authorities require the signature and address of a professional photographer. Those renewing their Canadian passports from the US may have experienced that. There are other examples such as visas for some African and Asian nations. I do not know what the process achieves - perhaps some form of identity verification - but those are instances where you cannot escape paying an arm and a leg.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given the visa charges and visa service fees for those countries that won't allow you to submit a visa application by FedEx, the cost of a few passport photos is minor in comparison. I'll stick with AAA. Sometimes I get an international driver's license at the same time.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:29 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sedubby
Title says it all - they average like $12-$15 for 2 photos at a typical drugstore. ...?
If you think that is expensive, here's a suggestion Don't fly anywhere or go to Europe and order a coffee.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mapleg
If you think that is expensive, here's a suggestion Don't fly anywhere or go to Europe and order a coffee.
I actually had the best cup of coffee of my life at a little bakery in Italy. And it cost me 1 Euro.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by mapleg
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I actually had the best cup of coffee of my life at a little bakery in Italy. And it cost me 1 Euro.
Starting to possibly get a bit off-topic for passport photos, but I had two cups of coffee the same morning in St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) a few years back. The first was at Carroll's, then (it was later bought out and the name of its few remaining restaurants changed) a Finland-based chain similar to Burger King, on a main street. All the signs were in English and Russian, there were quite a few people there who looked like tourists, and it cost about what a cup of coffee would have cost at a U.S. McDonald's. The second was in a tiny place in the courtyard of an apartment complex on a side street. Nobody around but Russians, and I had to order in Russian. It cost the equivalent of about 10¢ U.S., and it was better coffee.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by piper28
At one point I had a neat little template I found somewhere online for photoshop that had all the requirements for head size and everything in it, so you could line your photo up nicely, then it would take it and duplicate it out onto a standard 4x6 photo size. Can't remember where I found that though, but I bet it's still out there.
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...-template.html

State Department has one which I have used. Click on "Start photo tool" in the link. Worked perfectly for me.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I used epassportphoto.com and was pleased with the results. I used my point and shoot Canon camera with a timer to get just the right photo. I was glad I did because I hated my last passport photo but wasn't willing to shell out another $9 for a do over. This took a bit longer but vanity won out and I got a nice passport photo
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
A 4x6 photo print is $0.39 or thereabouts. I take my own headshot and print six 2x2s on one sheet which I cut using grade school scissors.
ha I do exactly the same. I used the Sony printer at Kinko's last time I done it. Also I used Photoshop to make the background completely white.
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/t...-in-photoshop/
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indiekiduk
ha I do exactly the same. I used the Sony printer at Kinko's last time I done it. Also I used Photoshop to make the background completely white.
http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/t...-in-photoshop/
The fact you can photoshop your passport photo (even if just the background) doesn't bode well for nat security...can't believe that's allowed.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I had the same problem couple weeks ago when needed two photos for Vietnam. Well, three local photo booth refused to print one page of 10 by 15cm photo where I had my protos prepared in the photoshop. One guys said - 'I do not want you as a customer, go find someone else' (welcome to Singapore customer service).

Well, I found thick glossy paper in the office and perfectly printed those photos there. Problem solved.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by invisible
I had the same problem couple weeks ago when needed two photos for Vietnam. Well, three local photo booth refused to print one page of 10 by 15cm photo where I had my protos prepared in the photoshop. One guys said - 'I do not want you as a customer, go find someone else' (welcome to Singapore customer service).

Well, I found thick glossy paper in the office and perfectly printed those photos there. Problem solved.
I usually carry extra visa photos with me during my travels (I make them in the photo booths that are common in Shanghai subway stations), but the VN consulate in Nanning uses the photo in my passport to create the photos it requires for visas.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
There are even smartphone apps that help you make a perfect passport shot. No reason to pay these days.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
$0.60 for 6 photos here in India
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:14 am

It's not exactly the same price as my daughter's bat mitzvah album
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
A 4x6 photo print is $0.39 or thereabouts. I take my own headshot and print six 2x2s on one sheet which I cut using grade school scissors.
That's what I did too every time. I take one with my smartphone against a white wall and use the online tool to crop out the head:
http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...os/photos.html

After that I just put 6 of them together (2 rows of 3) on Paint and upload them to Target to print one 4x6 picture in about 30 minutes. I think it costs about $0.17 for 6 pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.