Wiki Posts
Search

Customs clearance of lost / delayed baggage in Lusofone markets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors

I am looking for a link to the Portuguese or Brazilian equivalent of the UK's HMRC's BOR1422 form:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...on-eu-arrivals

Does anyone know of a link to relevant customs authorities' forms? Or can anyone advise on how delayed bags are cleared in these markets? Or if you have a relevant form, please PM me...
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: skyteam

At time of reporting your non arrival or lost baggage,airline ask to complete customs declaration and ask for keys or access code

If the bags arrive they are delivered after customs clearance to your house or hotel
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azimax
At time of reporting your non arrival or lost baggage,airline ask to complete customs declaration and ask for keys or access code

If the bags arrive they are delivered after customs clearance to your house or hotel
Azimax - thx for response.

My enquiry is actually as I want my staff to provide a baggage delivery service in a Lusofone market.

Obviously, when they take a pax's (lost) bag past customs to the delivery driver's van, I would prefer my staff not to get into trouble if the bag has a kilo of cocaine (or similar) in it...

A declaration by the pax would hold my staff in better stead...

In the market I work, third parties should not clear bags - pax should return to baggage reclaim once bag is found and clear it themselves...

Most airlines want to deliver bags when they lose them to repair relationship but in this Luso-market, where I am, the concept does not exist...

I have explained UK system but as Lusifones, they want to know what Portuguese do - or what the Brazilians do...
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by groundops
Azimax - thx for response.

My enquiry is actually as I want my staff to provide a baggage delivery service in a Lusofone market.

Obviously, when they take a pax's (lost) bag past customs to the delivery driver's van, I would prefer my staff not to get into trouble if the bag has a kilo of cocaine (or similar) in it...

A declaration by the pax would hold my staff in better stead...

In the market I work, third parties should not clear bags - pax should return to baggage reclaim once bag is found and clear it themselves...

Most airlines want to deliver bags when they lose them to repair relationship but in this Luso-market, where I am, the concept does not exist...

I have explained UK system but as Lusifones, they want to know what Portuguese do - or what the Brazilians do...
They're not going to get in more trouble then an employee of FedEx would for delivering a package with something illegal. When passenger reports baggage missing the fill out a written declaration as to what if anything needs to be reported. Customs then inspects or doesn't inspect the baggage, and once clear hands off to airline or the airline's baggage delivery company. At no point does your employee have bags before customs release. This means if the bag is refused entry it's not handed off to your employees to deliver.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They're not going to get in more trouble then an employee of FedEx would for delivering a package with something illegal. When passenger reports baggage missing the fill out a written declaration as to what if anything needs to be reported. Customs then inspects or doesn't inspect the baggage, and once clear hands off to airline or the airline's baggage delivery company. At no point does your employee have bags before customs release. This means if the bag is refused entry it's not handed off to your employees to deliver.
Thanks

I am trying to explain this concept to a Portuguese speaking customs authority who does not understand the concept...

If the Portuguese or Brazilians (hopefully more developed nations) have such a declaration form, this will help this authority understand the concept...

That is all...

If I can show how UK does it and a fellow Lusofone country they may believe me!

If not, whenever you fly to this place and lose a bag you will have to collect from airport...

At present some airport/airline staff are carrying delayed baggage through customs with no declaration.

If customs were not so inept, it is possible a staff (not mine) will find themselves smuggling contraband and be caught out...

And then in a nasty position...
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Well, there's not a terribly high number of Lusophpne countries in the world these days, so assume you mean Angola, Mozambique, or maybe Cabo Verde. (East Timor doesn't use Portuguese as a first language do they?)

I've not lost a bag before in Brazil or Portugal myself, but can't imagine either being so backwards as to require a passenger to return to the airport for the airline's mistake. Egypt is the only place I've personally seen that level of ineptitude (though I know it exists elsewhere). Even in 'progressive' Tanzania, Ethiopian airlines cleared a lost bag for me once, just a standard lost bag form filled out, no customs declaration, exactly the same process that I had to do with United clearing lost bags into the US for me.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:53 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond

A collegue of mine had his bag lost when flying to GRU, it got delivered two days later to the hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.