FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Customs clearance of lost / delayed baggage in Lusofone markets
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:21 pm
groundops

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Originally Posted by flyerCO
They're not going to get in more trouble then an employee of FedEx would for delivering a package with something illegal. When passenger reports baggage missing the fill out a written declaration as to what if anything needs to be reported. Customs then inspects or doesn't inspect the baggage, and once clear hands off to airline or the airline's baggage delivery company. At no point does your employee have bags before customs release. This means if the bag is refused entry it's not handed off to your employees to deliver.
Thanks

I am trying to explain this concept to a Portuguese speaking customs authority who does not understand the concept...

If the Portuguese or Brazilians (hopefully more developed nations) have such a declaration form, this will help this authority understand the concept...

That is all...

If I can show how UK does it and a fellow Lusofone country they may believe me!

If not, whenever you fly to this place and lose a bag you will have to collect from airport...

At present some airport/airline staff are carrying delayed baggage through customs with no declaration.

If customs were not so inept, it is possible a staff (not mine) will find themselves smuggling contraband and be caught out...

And then in a nasty position...