Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the most fun you've had in an irrops?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most fun you've had in an irrops?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Back when that pesky volcano erupted I was stuck in San Antonio and ny DW and kids were stuck in Athens, Greece.

I was able to make my way to CAE to visit my elderly mother, which was priceless.

The family, and the family they were traveling with, made their way from Athens to Venice by ferry. Spent the day in Venice just hanging out. That evening they caught the US Army shuttle to Vicenza and the next morning caught the patient shuttle to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany where they called friends to give them a ride home, about a 30 minute ride. They had a blast on their 3-4 day adventure.

I will throw in that my wife called me the morning of their departure telling me their flight was cancelled asking what she should do. I told her under no circumstances should she go to the airport. They all sat in a square drinking coffee trying to decide what they were going to do. My DW and the other lady, who is a gate agent for UA, spied a travel agency and walked over to see what their options were. Having a UA agent as a travel companion was priceless because she does stuff like this for a living. Granted they weren't flying, but her mind just worked that way. The ferry left Greece that evening and there was tons of space available. I was very proud of how they dealt with this!

Oh, FWIW my upgrade cleared for the TATL home.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Was flying ORD-IAH-POS (Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago) last year the day after the big ATC fire at O'Hare. Delays out of O'Hare caused miss-connect at IAH...

Knowing that there was only one flight IAH-POS, I had started checking out alternative options while sitting on tarmac at ORD in order to avoid a 23 hour layover in IAH (and also get me into POS in time to catch the hopper over to Tobago that I had already booked). I patched together a series of flights that would do the trick if they were possible to book.

I remember asking the woman in the UC @ IAH - "I'm not sure yet if I WANT to do this, but is it possible?" (She was already looking at me like I was crazy). The answer was yes, and after some hemming and hawing about whether or not I was totally insane, ended up being re-routed IAH-LAX, LAX-PTY (red-eye on COPA), PTY-POS (COPA).

I ended up being glad I did...
* Had a 4 hour layover at PTY and was able to take a quick trip to see the Canal (the Immigration agent thought I had accidentally come to Immigration: "miss, you're transiting - you don't need to clear Immigration". I assured him that I was in the right place as I wasn't going to sit in the airport when I could go sight see!). I'd never been to Panama and now know I need to go back!
* Arrived in POS with plenty of time to make my originally booked hopper flight (and was even able to take an earlier one - they're super flexible)
* Didn't have to hang out in IAH for 23 hours
* Picked up a whole slew of extra miles!!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:07 am

Well, not as exciting as some stories....but pretty good for me, who only travels a few times a year on holiday.

Leaving PHX after a two week visit with my sisters. Voluntary bump from UA sent me to an awesome small resort hotel. Spent an extra evening with my sister, sitting around the pool and drinking wine on a perfect AZ night.

Shuttled back to the airport the next day and flown FC on the first leg of my trip home to ROC - first and last time I ever flew FC!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:03 pm

Its fun reading these, many times our plans are ruined during irrops but sometimes you can make lemons into lemonade.

I've been pretty fortunate as far as avoiding delays and irrops goes. Last year we had a delayed flight from TUC to SAN that caused us to miss our connection to LAS. They offered to put us on the next flight leaving in another 45 minutes but we asked if they could put us on one 4 hours later. The GA looked at us weird but did it and then we walked to the end of Harbor Island, ate ice cream, and watched the ships and helicopters over the harbor for a couple hours. It was a nice way to extend our vacation for a few extra hours before coming back to real life.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Some years ago I was sitting in first on a BA 747 at JFK, looking forward to my daytime flight to LHR. Departure time came and went, and then the captain announced there was a problem with the pressurization system and we would be delayed. After a while I noticed the CC talking to each of the FC passengers in turn. When she reached me she said that we would be now scheduled to arrive in LHR after the Concorde sitting at the next gate, and "would I mind awfully" if they moved me to Concorde? I decided I didn't mind awfully, so that was my first flight on the beautiful bird. I was beside myself with excitement, while of course trying (probably failing) to appear as if I practically commuted on the thing.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
A three hour delay in the LH FCT.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
In 2004 after Hurricane Charley slammed Orlando. Original flight home was cancelled and rebooked for a flight 2 days later. Spent the 2 extra days hanging out with friends and watching the Olympics.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
October 2011 at Atlantis in the Bahamas. Went with another couple for a long weekend to celebrate our 20th anniv (both couples).

Found out there was a blizzard in NJ that day of departure (say what, a Halloween snowstorm??). Since we were all flying F, the next available direct flight home was 3 days later. The resort found us a pair of suites in the Reefs/Cove building for the duration.

They gave us a decent price and we stewed for 3 days on the private beach.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OZinCT
Some years ago I was sitting in first on a BA 747 at JFK, looking forward to my daytime flight to LHR. Departure time came and went, and then the captain announced there was a problem with the pressurization system and we would be delayed. After a while I noticed the CC talking to each of the FC passengers in turn. When she reached me she said that we would be now scheduled to arrive in LHR after the Concorde sitting at the next gate, and "would I mind awfully" if they moved me to Concorde? I decided I didn't mind awfully, so that was my first flight on the beautiful bird. I was beside myself with excitement, while of course trying (probably failing) to appear as if I practically commuted on the thing.
I am SO envious. That might beat 3 days in Bali or a private beach.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:11 pm

Aug of 2011, one of my last flights on United. This was shortly after the merge when everything was falling apart. I was flying on a Friday from SFO to LGA with a change at ORD. I had a wedding in NY that weekend and then the following Wed, I was flying out of NY to MEX for a few days.

A freak hurricane was scheduled to hit NY that weekend and as we landed in ORD, find out that all flights into NY are cancelled. I called my friend to find out that they had to postpone the wedding as well, but I still had to get to NY to catch that flight to MEX. The scene at ORD was pretty horrific, lines at all CS desks were crazy, so I looked on line and the first flight for any airline out of Chicago to NY with any free seats was for next Tuesday with Southwest out of Midway, so I booked it and then called United. They couldn't get me to NY for another week, so I asked for a refund. Meanwhile I went on Priceline and for $85 a night got a nice room at the Michigan Ave Westin until Tuesday.

I have cousins in Chicago I hadn't seen in a while, so it turned into a little family reunion as well. AND of course Saturday night bar hopping, I run into 2 other flyertalkers who are also waiting out the same Irrops. Ah, a Chicago do! ALSO walking down Michigan Avenue on Sunday, I literally bumped into an old high school buddy I hadn't seen in years.

It was a great weekend! Although the sad part was only having 1 day in NY to see my family there.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
This was in 2001. We spent a week in Cozumel, there were 7 of us, all family.

The morning we were leaving everyone was not wanting to leave. We get CZM and it is a mad house. We split up to two lines, get up a little closer and find all flights to Houston are cancelled. We had not watched any news, and had not heard about tropical storm Allison.

We finally get up to the counter and the earliest we can get out is Tuesday, and this was Saturday morning. Continental (I miss you) paid for the first extra hotel night and got us a deeply discounted fee for the other two nights.

We all called home to check on dogs and family, then enjoyed our extra vacation time.

We had no idea how devastating Allison was until we got back to Houston.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:34 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Yes, I read that recently too!
It's well worth a read!
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Thanks for posting that report. It was a very entertaining read! ^
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: DL,EK
Free day in Iceland after Delta cancelled SEA-AMS and rerouted me on Icelandair
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:04 am

Removed...

Last edited by fassy; Jul 24, 2015 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
@fassy -- I'm not quite sure that, per the thread title, I'd use "fun" to describe that ordeal ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.