Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What will happen if one goes on month-long vacation & never watches/reads the news?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will happen if one goes on month-long vacation & never watches/reads the news?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I'm pretty sure if a world-wide plague broke out, causing the dead to rise from their graves and munch on the living, you'd notice.

Other than that, meh . . .
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
I lived out of the country for 6 years. It took me a full year to master the language (Spanish) enough to understand 100% of the news.

So, after a year of not watching the news, I fell out of the habit. I managed to keep up with local events and politics, but not much else.

When I returned to the US, I learned about all sorts of things such as Columbine, JonBenet Ramsey, and other news from 1996-2002.

I also didn't know of any "new" celebrities that had become famous during that time frame. I remember being embarrassed when a group of friends was talking about Vin Diesel and I asked who he was.

I won't ever be that out of it again until I retire, but I have to say, it was the happiest and most carefree time of my life even though I had a very stressful job there. I LOVED not knowing what was happening in the news!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I lived out of the country for 6 years. It took me a full year to master the language (Spanish) enough to understand 100% of the news.

So, after a year of not watching the news, I fell out of the habit. I managed to keep up with local events and politics, but not much else.

When I returned to the US, I learned about all sorts of things such as Columbine, JonBenet Ramsey, and other news from 1996-2002.

I also didn't know of any "new" celebrities that had become famous during that time frame. I remember being embarrassed when a group of friends was talking about Vin Diesel and I asked who he was.

I won't ever be that out of it again until I retire, but I have to say, it was the happiest and most carefree time of my life even though I had a very stressful job there. I LOVED not knowing what was happening in the news!
You should read your last paragraph closely again and choose a path my friend !
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You should read your last paragraph closely again and choose a path my friend !
*sigh* Yes you are correct... I feel like I have to be up on world news since I work in international business. I do, however, try to stay out of US news other than the major stories. Not ideal, but a decent compromise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.