New US-Caribbean service from Norwegian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New US-Caribbean service from Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
JFK-NOU? Sure, if they wanted to set a new record for the longest commercial passenger flight.

Originally Posted by erik123
Hope they add JFK-NOU and PPT next week.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbm12
The US/EU(+Iceland/Norway) Open Skies treaty is getting a workout these days. Norwegian announced today that it will use the 7th Freedom rights included in that treaty to launch service between the US and France. With the catch being that "France" in this case is Guadelope and Martinique, two islands in the Caribbean. Service from BOS/JFK/BWI will be 2-3x daily for each route for the winter season.

http://blog.wandr.me/2015/06/norwegi...ibbean-routes/

http://media.norwegian.com/us/#/pres...ibbean-1184050

n.b. Link above goes to my blog. You've been warned.
Guadeloupe and Martinique are integral parts of France, and thus of the EU. They not only vote in French elections as citizens of the French Republic, they also vote for MEPs in the European Parliament as citizens of the EU and use the Euro; and their passports are EU passports.

U.S.-EU flight service is what US-Guadeloupe and U.S.-Martinique flight service is -- just like Hawaii-Japan service is US-Japan service. Glad to see another EEA carrier provide more U.S.-EU service. It's good for competition.

Originally Posted by sbm12
So is Puerto Rico, except when it is not.
Hawaii has one of the 50 stars on the U.S. flag and is a U.S. state; Puerto Rico, however, is neither a U.S. state nor does it have a star on the U.S. flag. It seems like comparative government, French governmental history and U.S. governmental history lessons may be useful to understand how the attempt at analogy using Puerto Rico just doesn't fly.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 26, 2015 at 5:29 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Of course, any US-based carriers could set up service on the same routes. The fact that they haven't suggests that they have no good grounds for complaint.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Of course, any US-based carriers could set up service on the same routes. The fact that they haven't suggests that they have no good grounds for complaint.
I have to wonder if these route are going to be more economically viable for Norwegian than for US carrier. I have my doubts about that, but the U.S. should be cheering on the additional European competition for intra-western hemisphere flight services -- inclusive of intra-Western Hemisphere US-EU routes such as this.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I thought the French Region was more akin to a U.S. State than the Departments. (Of course, those two are Regions as well...so yes, agree the Hawaii analogy is closer than the Puerto Rico analogy.)
Metropolitan France and Guadaloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Réunion and French Guiana are all one country, they are each Départaments, (which are the same as a US state, a UK County etc), and thus are Regions of France and have the same legal status as one another, they vote in French and EU elections, they all use the Euro. St Martin, Polynesia etc have the status of Collectivité d'Outre Mer (Overseas collectivity) which is effectively the same as a US unincorportated territory, or a British Overseas Territory, and doesn't afford the same legal status, particularly when it comes to immigration and travel, so if it were possible, Norwegian wouldn't legally be able to fly US to French Polynesia or New Caledonia as they are not part of Europe.

Its rather complicated.

Originally Posted by kochleffel
I wondered if Norwegian might also like to fly to St. Pierre and Miquelon, but I see that they are a collectivité territoriale, not an overseas department.
Collectivité territoriale is the generic name for all country subdivisions in France that have an elected local government, which would include mainland France too. St Pierre and Miquelon is the Collectivité Territoriale de Saint Pierre-et-Miquelon, which is a Collectivité d'Outre Mer, and is effectively the same as the Falkland Islands, or South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - British Overseas Territories - mostly independent, but are still governed by their Sovereign Nation.

Last edited by nmh1204; Jun 26, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by nmh1204
Metropolitan France and Guadaloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Réunion and French Guiana are all one country, they are each Départaments, (which are the same as a US state, a UK County etc), and thus are Regions of France and have the same legal status as one another, they vote in French and EU elections, they all use the Euro. St Martin, Polynesia etc have the status of Collectivité d'Outre Mer (Overseas collectivity) which is effectively the same as a US unincorportated territory, or a British Overseas Territory, and doesn't afford the same legal status, particularly when it comes to immigration and travel, so if it were possible, Norwegian wouldn't legally be able to fly US to French Polynesia or New Caledonia as they are not part of Europe.
So along the same lines:
AUA,SXM,CUR are are countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, so no go.
But BON = special municipalities of the Netherlands, so techincally possible?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So along the same lines:
AUA,SXM,CUR are are countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, so no go.
But BON = special municipalities of the Netherlands, so techincally possible?
I'm not really sure on that one. It would depend on whether they are part of the EU, rather than simply territories of an EU state, and I'm not sure if any of them are part of the EU.

The French Overseas Departments are legislatively part of France and therefore the EU, I think special municipalities aren't.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: Kettle Class
IIRC, St-Martin (the northern, French side of SXM) per the Treaty of Lisbon has the same status as Martinique and Guadaloupe. So, an airline like DY could conceivably start service to the US from there, too - I'm just not sure if there's an airport on the French side.

As well as the Azores, and even Madeira and the Canary Islands (with the right aircraft).

I'm not really sure on that one. It would depend on whether they are part of the EU, rather than simply territories of an EU state, and I'm not sure if any of them are part of the EU.

The French Overseas Departments are legislatively part of France and therefore the EU, I think special municipalities aren't.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"IIRC, St-Martin (the northern, French side of SXM) per the Treaty of Lisbon has the same status as Martinique and Guadaloupe. So, an airline like DY could conceivably start service to the US from there, too - I'm just not sure if there's an airport on the French side."

There is, but the runway is too short to accommodate most (all?) commercial jet aircraft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Espérance_Airport
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progapanda
IIRC, St-Martin (the northern, French side of SXM) per the Treaty of Lisbon has the same status as Martinique and Guadaloupe. So, an airline like DY could conceivably start service to the US from there, too - I'm just not sure if there's an airport on the French side.
Originally Posted by guv1976
There is, but the runway is too short to accommodate most (all?) commercial jet aircraft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Espérance_Airport
Correct. I specifically asked about that one when speaking with DY's CCO and he said that the French side of the island was legal but not possible.

There is scheduled service to the airport, though. I considered it as an option when building my trip on the inaugural JFK-FDF flight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:16 pm

Anyone got those cheap fares to Guadeloupe (PTP) it was $180 rt from BWI (and BOS)? Going early December...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:13 pm

How was it? Also, does anyone know if this is seasonal only travel? The website only goes through March 2016.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marlin
How was it? Also, does anyone know if this is seasonal only travel? The website only goes through March 2016.
Yes, it is seasonal only.

I've written a few posts about the inaugurals:
DYland Time: Norwegian’s Caribbean Inaugural Adventure

Norwegian Kicks off Low-Cost US-French Caribbean Service: Onboard the JFK-Martinique Inaugural Flight

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no, Puerto Rico is an unincorportated territory, not part of the 50 US states, whereas Guadaloupe and Martinique are legislatively Departments of France, the same as a US state. Puerto Rico is the same as the Colectivités of France, which are unincorporated territories.
In fact, telephone calls from mainland France to Departments are dialed and billed as standard national long-distance calls. They just have their own area codes within the normal French phone system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.