Window Shade Etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window Shade Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:57 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

To keep the thread open, let's keep it free of political discussion. I've edited/deleted posts which took this thread off-topic.

Those wishing to discuss politics and who have at least 180-days of FT membership and 180 posts are most welcome to do so in the OMNI-PR forum. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:11 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
More problematic question to me -- on some aircraft (727? not sure, but I've only seen it on domestics) -- on some aircraft, there will often be a window that is roughly adjacent to a seatback, such that the pax in both 21A and 22A would be able to manipulate the shade. In those cases, who gets decision-making control? I've actually had situations where I put such a shade down, and the passenger in front of me says he wants it up.
IMO, if the front pax is able to see via this middle window, it would be his/her control.
Otherwise, the back pax should have the control.
I never had problems with this approach.
^
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by slawecki
no, i do not see well. , or walk well, so that mean i cannot read because you want the shade down all the way from tokyo to nyc. buy out the plane, then you can play with the light.

[Political commentary deleted by Moderator as off-topic in TravelBuzz.]
so because you have an eye issue and need 50,000 lux to read your book the entire cabin gets to stay awake? How considerate. Perfect example of "me, me, me".
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
so because you have an eye issue and need 50,000 lux to read your book the entire cabin gets to stay awake? How considerate. Perfect example of "me, me, me".
On the other hand though, that's exactly the argument being made by people who demand that the shades be closed so they can sleep "just because you need it to be perfectly dark no one in the cabin can look out the window? Perfect example of "me, me, me". If somebody wants to make sure they can sleep, they should bring an eye shade and ear plugs. Then they know they'll be able to sleep through whatever minor annoyances they encounter from other passengers. If somebody's ability to sleep is sufficiently sensitive that an eye shade an ear plugs aren't sufficient for them to sleep, then they could consider an over the counter or prescription sleeping pill. I see it as being no different than somebody who knows they are going to be cold bringing a jacket. It is simply using a little foresight and being proactive to give oneself a more comfortable travel experience. It is entirely possible for people who want the window shade open to have it open and for people who want to sleep to sleep both get their desires at the same time. I have far more sympathy for people complaining about glare on screens, but that's a much more minor issue based on the commentary in this thread.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb
On the other hand though, that's exactly the argument being made by people who demand that the shades be closed so they can sleep "just because you need it to be perfectly dark no one in the cabin can look out the window? Perfect example of "me, me, me". If somebody wants to make sure they can sleep, they should bring an eye shade and ear plugs. Then they know they'll be able to sleep through whatever minor annoyances they encounter from other passengers. If somebody's ability to sleep is sufficiently sensitive that an eye shade an ear plugs aren't sufficient for them to sleep, then they could consider an over the counter or prescription sleeping pill. I see it as being no different than somebody who knows they are going to be cold bringing a jacket. It is simply using a little foresight and being proactive to give oneself a more comfortable travel experience. It is entirely possible for people who want the window shade open to have it open and for people who want to sleep to sleep both get their desires at the same time. I have far more sympathy for people complaining about glare on screens, but that's a much more minor issue based on the commentary in this thread.
And the people who want to watch the IFE but can't because of the glare on their screen? They're supposed to bring their own screens with them? Or bring a cardboard box they can wrap around the screen to block the glare?

What you describe (people wanting the shades closed) is not "me, me, me" it's "we, we, we". That's why the FAs will always take the "close the shade" side.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
And the people who want to watch the IFE but can't because of the glare on their screen? They're supposed to bring their own screens with them? Or bring a cardboard box they can wrap around the screen to block the glare?

What you describe (people wanting the shades closed) is not "me, me, me" it's "we, we, we". That's why the FAs will always take the "close the shade" side.
In specific instances where there's glare on a particular IFE screen, I would think the pax could politely ask and the window pax would politely lower the shade. 15 minutes later, the position of the sun would be such that the glare wouldn't be an issue anymore.

The problem is that your rant seems to infer that the shades should be down all the time because a glare issue might happen for some amount of time during the flight on some screens. @:-)
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Independent

So what entitles them to anything more than those who want the windows open? If you don't like the windows open, choose a window seat. Or as pointed out bring eye shades.

It seems we have grown to a generation of being entitled to watch TV and Movies. Where someones inconvenience overrides someone else's health and comfort. Lives in a dark tube so we don't have to see anybody else and don't have to acknowledge anyone else.

Why are people so obsessed with sleeping and sitting in the dark during the day anyways?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
If the sun is shining and you open the shade then it affects anyone trying to sleep or trying to watch a video on the entertainment system. The etiquette is "close the shade".

Unless the person in the window seat can also control the sun then you're wrong.
Sun shining directly into the eyes is one thing. Wanting to just open or close for their own enjoyment is quite different. I have had an aisle pax ask for the window open so they could look out. If that I so important, book a window seat and stop staring at me....

Common sense says if the sun I shining DIRECTLY into someone's eyes, that you should close it. I have been the recipient. Of the sunlight with a totally clueless window seater. I survived though.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Can this be a US centric problem? My thousands of flying hours on EU3 metal have never been crossed by a request to shut the blind on a day flight, although I do close it for an "overnight" even if it's day light outside. Maybe we're not quite so superglued to a screen over here and the eye shades I have used when I've wanted to doze have been quite acceptable in letting no light in at all.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
In specific instances where there's glare on a particular IFE screen, I would think the pax could politely ask and the window pax would politely lower the shade. 15 minutes later, the position of the sun would be such that the glare wouldn't be an issue anymore.

The problem is that your rant seems to infer that the shades should be down all the time because a glare issue might happen for some amount of time during the flight on some screens. @:-)
My "rant"? Interesting description.

But, yes, since the glare will move around and interfere with different people at different times then rather than 2 dozen people taking turns asking you politely to lower the shade it makes far more sense to simply be courteous and keep the shade down.

How is that for a "rant"?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14

+1
This was the point I made earlier in this thread.

And no, they don't need to be closed all the time. In the middle of meal service, I could care less (and i think plenty of other people. But once that is done, most people prefer to catch some sleep, and that is why the FA's work to get shades closed.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My "rant"? Interesting description.

But, yes, since the glare will move around and interfere with different people at different times then rather than 2 dozen people taking turns asking you politely to lower the shade it makes far more sense to simply be courteous and keep the shade down.

How is that for a "rant"?
I give it a 94, it has a great beat and I can dance to it.

Honestly. "The glare will move around?" The sun isn't like the flashlight you're dancing around near the cat to get them to chase it. It's a fixed object moving at a rather slow pace in a rather predictable way. When the sun rises, it might strike a pax through a window; in that case if the window pax realizes it they should be courteous; if the non-window pax needs help they should ask courteously.

"Two dozen people taking turns asking you to lower the shade?" Drama queen much?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I give it a 94, it has a great beat and I can dance to it.

Honestly. "The glare will move around?" The sun isn't like the flashlight you're dancing around near the cat to get them to chase it. It's a fixed object moving at a rather slow pace in a rather predictable way. When the sun rises, it might strike a pax through a window; in that case if the window pax realizes it they should be courteous; if the non-window pax needs help they should ask courteously.

"Two dozen people taking turns asking you to lower the shade?" Drama queen much?
The sun doesn't move around but the plane does. Altitude changes, directional changes, etc. So, yes, the glare moves around. One person in coach with his window shade open can easily affect a couple of dozen people over time. So the suggestion that if the glare affects you, ask to close the shade amounts to a couple of dozen people having to ask.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: *G
clearly the answer is to fly in cabins equipped with suites
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by lloydah
Can this be a US centric problem? My thousands of flying hours on EU3 metal have never been crossed by a request to shut the blind on a day flight, although I do close it for an "overnight" even if it's day light outside. Maybe we're not quite so superglued to a screen over here and the eye shades I have used when I've wanted to doze have been quite acceptable in letting no light in at all.
Like many things on these boards, it is a Flyertalk problem, not an actual problem. 99.99% of flyers couldn't care less.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.