Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Window Shade Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa

If the cabin is darkened by the FAs that's a sign for you that the cabin is supposed to be darkened. Not that hard to figure out.
So on a recent evening flight, they dimmed the lights (~8pm ish, with a landing time of 9:30pm, so no adult would be finding it especially tough to be awake). I was reading quite happily by the light from the window (setting sun, but on the other side of the plane) and then the shade was lowered, meaning I had to turn on my overhead light, which was magnitudes brighter than the light from outside, and annoyed a few people in front / behind me (who hadn't been annoyed by the window shade light). In this instance, I am sure the crew dimmed the light in an attempt to get an easy service, not because of any sensible 'people will sleep for 45 mins' reason. BTW there was no IFE on this flight so the window shade being up wasn't stopping anyone watching TV.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Is it me, or does this debate just keep going around in circles?

up-down-up-down-selfish-up-ife-down-eyeshades-selfish-up-coffin-down-cinema-up-sleep-down-bright-up-down-light-up-aisle-down-up-ownership-down-up-armrest....
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by emma69
I am sure the crew dimmed the light in an attempt to get an easy service, not because of any sensible 'people will sleep for 45 mins' reason.
Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I rarely see FAs enforce any other policy with as much zeal as the cabin dimout. The individualist in me yearns for the moment when it's up to each window-seated pax to decide what to do with their shade.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Some of us do!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:58 am
HMO

My wife is a windows person. I'm an aisle one.
She loves seeing the landscape, I prefer watch the IFE or use my iPad.
Sometimes a compromise isn't possible, because of the window position or sun position. Why should my desire to use electronics triumph over her desire to see the outside?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.