Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

You can view the results by clicking here

After reviewing the results, please also take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Meaningless priority boarding: If half the aircraft has priority, it's a useless "benefit". I am looking at you, NZ. CX had it right ex-BNE. 3 lines: J/Marco Polo/OW super-duper elite, PE/some Marco Polo elite, Y.

Redundant announcements ad nauseum: LHR T5

Lacking food options: When I didn't have lounge access, it was nice to grab a cheeky bit of fast food (delicious & unhealthy was the treat before an infrequent Y flight). LHR T5 failed at that...I didn't want an overpriced seafood "fine dining" experience at Caviar House & Prunier....I wanted a friggin' McChicken (as declasse as it is to admit).

Clueless young families: Young family (with infants/toddlers) + inexperienced (at flying) parents = clogged security lines.

Multi-hour screamfests: Please try and calm your child down (it can't be normal to scream for 8 of 10 hours HKG-SYD) or re-consider the need to bring a 6 month old on a punishing intercontinental red-eye. The latter point isn't PC, but so be it.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by beachmouse
When small 'emotional support animals' are pretty much turned loose in the terminal.

I'm an animal lover; I don't want to start my day watching a yappy yorkie 'ESA' get run over by another passenger's rollaboard because his owner won't pick him up in busy a part of the concourse.
If that pathetic little rat can't defend itself against my emotional support rollaboard then it just needs to toughen up.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by devdas
Airport security. It's the most blatant form of security theater I see, and I work in IT.

The second worst is visa processes.
That.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Amelorn
Lacking food options: When I didn't have lounge access, it was nice to grab a cheeky bit of fast food
I do have to give props to ATL in that regard. No, they aren't a big shopping airport where every terminal is a luxury emporium experience. But then how often am I really going to buy a $750 handbag? But except for In-and-Out, they've got pretty much every fast food or counter service restaurant option commonly seen in the USA, something I find a lot more useful when I'm passing through there than spendy handbags.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:18 am

1. failure to enforce boarding order. if it's not your turn, the scanner should not clear you.
2. the continued use of the term "direct flight" for more than one flight. give each liftoff/landing a separate number.
3. possibly delta-specific: if the gate has an info screen, make sure it displays upgrade and standby priority lists often. too often i had seen it cycle through english and spanish versions of garbage info, only to skip the upgrade list or show it once every 3-4 cycles.
4. unfair security lines. tsa shouldn't force me to take lane 1 if lane 2 is clearly shorter. one thing terrible about dulles in particular is that you can't tell which line is quickest.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mats
Gate agent: "This is a VERY FULL flight and we will be checking blah blah blah blah."
THIS. And not just the gate agent, but the flight attendants on regional jet flights (at least here in the US). I get the full flight line all the time when I try to carry on my suitcase, which fits on every regional jet I've tried (ERJ-145, CRJ-200, etc.). Of course, half the time, the flight is not full and it goes out with plenty of overhead bin space. I've taken to trying to bargain with them - "if the flight is full and bin space is needed, i'll be the first one to volunteer my bag." 50/50 on that.

On boarding, it's less about enforcing boarding order and more about not managing the gate lice. My experience is most United, but it's absolutely ridiculous when the lines for groups 1 and 2 extend out beyond the gate area and into the terminal walkways, blocking the way of other passengers, employees, and even the carts that ferry passengers around.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by privacylawyer
boarding flights when they seize drinks, refusing to allow you to board with a coffee you purchased five ft away.
Seriously? I've never been refused entry to a plane with a coffee.

What airline does this? I need to avoid them.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
Hearing about a "very full flight" always makes me wonder how much fuller it is compared to one that's merely full.
I think it's similar to being "really pregnant".
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:36 am

Airports with no cell phone lot. Very irritating in this day and age.

(I guess this is more "Post-Flight," but whatever.)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Self-important people in the lounge who share their phone conversations with everyone else often while wandering up and down and up and down.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:20 pm

people who hog/take up extra seats in the gate areas when the area is very busy, so many can't take a seat because others are 'spread out' using multiple seats.....for whatever reasons.
It would be nice if people were more considerate and emptied space rather than others having to tell em to do it.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by cdn1
people who hog/take up extra seats in the gate areas when the area is very busy, so many can't take a seat because others are 'spread out' using multiple seats.....for whatever reasons.
It would be nice if people were more considerate and emptied space rather than others having to tell em to do it.
When seats are short, and there are a number of hogs, I make a game out of choosing the one I think is being most inconsiderate (spread out the furthest and most aggressively) and go stand in front of them and ask for the empty seat by them. Yes, I've gotten scowls and dirty looks, but have never run into anyone with the nerve to actually refuse.

Romelle
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; Apr 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by mfkne
Hearing about a "very full flight" always makes me wonder how much fuller it is compared to one that's merely full.
Me too. It's a stupid phrase.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Airports with no cell phone lot. Very irritating in this day and age.
What exactly is a cell phone lot? Its not a term I've encountered before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.