Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

You can view the results by clicking here

After reviewing the results, please also take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves that weren't touched upon.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves? The 2015 — and First — Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results.

In many ways, preparing for a trip — and then taking it — is not as easy or as glamorous as it was in the past.

First, you have to either try to find the lowest price yourself — unless you want to bang your head in frustration in attempting to use your frequent flier loyalty program miles — and despite trying to find the flight which best fits your schedule, the only seats which are available happen to be in the rear of the aircraft on the 2:30 flight.

No, not 2:30 in the afternoon — 2:30 in the morning.

You would think that the airport would be empty at that hour; but there are crowds of clueless people blocking your way. Meanwhile, people behind you shove their way past you screaming “Do you know who I am? Do you know who I am?!?” before cutting in front of everyone at the front of the line at the airport security checkpoint.

The person in front of you is asked “How are you doing?” before being waved on past the airport security checkpoint. You, on the other hand, are pulled off to the side and selected for random secondary screening, which consumes approximately 82 minutes of your time.

Desperately needing a drink, you are fortunate to have access to the lounge to await boarding your flight — only to find that you need a crowbar to squeeze yourself inside. You then go to the toilet at the airport, which is completely disgusting and stinks worse than overflowing sewage. You finally approach the gate, where you find out that your flight has been cancelled and the next one with an available seat is not due out until the following Monday — and no hotels within the vicinity of the airport have any vacancy.

I can go on and on; but I believe you get the idea — and you have not even reached the aircraft yet.

This poll is the 2015 Pre-Flight Air Travel Pet Peeves Poll, which will be active through May 15, 2015.

It is a brand-new poll never posted before on FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — in collaboration with Frequent Business Traveler magazine as part of a continuous series of polls pertaining to “pet peeves” of air travel, restaurants, hotels and technology. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine, elaborate on your thoughts and relate your experiences as an airline passenger prior to boarding for your flight.

Results of this poll will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk.

So — what are your “pet peeves” of air travel prior to the flight? Please vote today and let everyone know!

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 27, 2015 at 2:31 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:36 pm

Airport security. It's the most blatant form of security theater I see, and I work in IT.

The second worst is visa processes.

Clueless travellers are a given, it's getting cheaper to travel and we were all clueless once (or still are, depending on context).

Also, crying babies on board.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by devdas
Airport security. It's the most blatant form of security theater I see, and I work in IT.

The second worst is visa processes.

Clueless travellers are a given, it's getting cheaper to travel and we were all clueless once (or still are, depending on context).

Also, crying babies on board.
What about cry-babies?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Pre-flight? I don't like how the bathroom attendants hover in some lounge toilets. I like to do my business in private. The toilets in one lounge had a frosted glass door and I could see them walking up and down outside my toilet.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
When small 'emotional support animals' are pretty much turned loose in the terminal.

I'm an animal lover; I don't want to start my day watching a yappy yorkie 'ESA' get run over by another passenger's rollaboard because his owner won't pick him up in busy a part of the concourse.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:46 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In the US, the TSA for sure. But it's not just the "security" aspect- it's also their social commentary and obnoxious drill sergeanting. There's should be a candid looping video of the TSA passing through security.

More generally, it's buying a water or juice only to have it randomly confiscated at some point before boarding the plane. If there's a ground delay/stop and the FAs aren't providing drinks, my evil eye is looking right at you, oh confiscator.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:41 pm

The TSA, for a very long list of reasons.

But the second is announcements. American airports and airplanes are overloaded with announcements.

Loudspeaker: "This is a security announcement..." (I want to strangle whoever thought that this was helpful for public safety.)

The TSA barkers, the petty tyrants: "Shoes off! Jackets off!!!" (It never works. If you actually walk down the line and politely tell people what to do, they'll do it. If you yell, the response will usually be "What did she say?")

Loudspeaker: "The TSA has limited items that may be taken past a security checkpoint." (If you're already in the sterile area, why do you need to hear that? And then hear it again? And again?)

Gate agent: "This is a VERY FULL flight and we will be checking blah blah blah blah."

The VERY FULL flight is like a stressed-out high school teacher who starts off each lesson with, "We have a LOT to cover today." It begins the lesson on the most stressful and least relevant point. It also makes it sound as if you've done something wrong: you chose the full flight or the heavily loaded syllabus, and it's your fault.

And a particular mention to "Ma'am... MA'AM!" That's high-stress airport-speak. It's a quick way to escalate tension.

I think that America's airports would be far less annoying if we just cut the cords of those loudspeakers. It's a cacophony of rules, redundant rules, and airline jargon.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Mats
The TSA, for a very long list of reasons.

But the second is announcements. American airports and airplanes are overloaded with announcements.

Loudspeaker: "This is a security announcement..." (I want to strangle whoever thought that this was helpful for public safety.)

I think that America's airports would be far less annoying if we just cut the cords of those loudspeakers. It's a cacophony of rules, redundant rules, and airline jargon.
Agreed. Thanks to crazy irrops I had the unfortunate experience of trying to sleep in the SFO terminal recently. Two in the morning, and the LOUD recorded announcements over the PA were unrelenting--nearly continuous. Sleep was not an option, not that it would have been with kids running around.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:19 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
1. TSA.
2. TSA.
3. TSA.
4. TSA.
5. TSA.
6. Constant PA announcements about "regulations requiring me to control my bags" and "regulations control what you can take onto an airplane" and "regulations require only ticketed passengers beyond security", etc. etc.
7. Wandering passengers on cell phones who drift back and forth in front of and to the side of you, making walking hazardous.
8. Parents who allow their toddlers to drift back and forth in front of and to the side of you, making walking hazardous.
9. TSA.
10. TSA.
11. TSA.
12. TSA.
13. TSA.
14. TSA.
15. TSA.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Great pet peeves, everyone! Keep 'em coming. ^
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: MPC, OneWorld, 1865 Voyager, Hyatt, Horizon Club
1. Security/Immigration in the States and the UK - please copy some efficient cities like HK, Tokyo, Singapore...etc. Don't use that condescending tone. These are highly efficient and one of the busiest hubs yet they complete security safer, faster, and more politely than ever.
2. Clueless travellers definitely. Have your laptop/tablet out and ready, and don't travel with a million metallic devices on your body please.. leave them in your bag or something (and if you haven't travelled before, please do some basic research)
3. Agreed with the announcements things about (why I have sound-isolating earphones)
4. Inconsiderate passengers (feet up on the bulkhead with shoes off about 4 feet off the ground in J, talking and jabbering loudly across TWO aisles, body odour...etc.)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hphreak
4. Inconsiderate passengers (feet up on the bulkhead with shoes off about 4 feet off the ground in J, talking and jabbering loudly across TWO aisles, body odour...etc.)
While I wholeheartedly concur with this, it's out of the realm of the Pre-Flight Pet Peeves survey but was in fact covered in the Air Travel Pet Peeves survey, which looks at what happens once on the aircraft.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UAMP
Pre-flight? TSA is a headache, barking instructions at a crowd is annoying, and boy do I appreciate Pre-check. There people are actually experienced travelers, and also have less to do like take out laptops and take off shoes. A big help in keeping us moving.

I hate that we have to get to the gate really early and people start lining up to board first in their group sometimes 30 minutes before boarding. Really? But worse is when the plane arrives late, 200 people are already all lined up for boarding, and the disembarking passengers can't even exit through the gate area because it's so jammed! I know we all have roller bags we don't want to pay to check that we want to get into the overhead space.

Lack of charging. Only newly refurbished airports have enough charging (like should be a USB or plug at every seat!). Everyone now carries a device that not only is a phone, but has their boarding pass and tickets for the train when they arrive on them. Plugs should be everywhere.

Rip-off food. $5 for a bottle of water? I can't take it past security so now you're going to gouge me? Come on. Even the McD or BK has jacked up prices past security.

The lame offers for being bumped. You really think I'll want $100 certificate to be bumped off an overbooked flight? That's rather low. A free ticket, that's what it used to be, and much more reasonable particularly since the next 10 flights are all going to be overbooked as well.

The credit card that gets you priority boarding. I find it amusing that UA now has Group 1, and pre-group 1 (global services), and pre-pre- boarding (uniformed military), and pre-pre-pre boarding (actual slow boarders), all before Group 2 that's for the barely elite and the credit card priority people. That's a lot of levels!

Just how lame United Club lounges are compared to the rest of the world. When I'm at an international airport at a club run by another Star Alliance partner, there is real fresh food, plenty to drink, etc. United has measly pre-packaged cheese, crackers, plus a few soft drinks and coffee, and the new thing is cookies. You have to ask at a bar for the cheapest beer or wine, other drinks you have to pay for. I can actually make a decent on-the-go meal at other lounges worldwide and even enjoy some of the local culture's food. I get to go to the lounges when traveling internationally due to my status, and I can't believe people would bay $500/year for this "privilege".
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
No free wi-fi in the general terminal areas. If my local no-name coffee shop can manage free w-ifi for customers, any commercial airport should be able to spring for this as well.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:50 pm

Incompetent boarding agents.

One in DTW last evening allowed the boarding process
to degenerate into a disorderly event. As a group we
all just decided it was time to board. The FAs were
clearly not pleased with the log jam.

Boarding process nonsense.

I consider the process broken, needs simplification and
the gate lice issue aggressively addressed.

TSA.

Agents who have an attitude for no reason at all. They
might all have better days without the negativity.
I suppose dealing with the endless lines of incompetent
travelers wears one down after a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.