Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Housekeeping: Prefer tips or skip cleaning the room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping: Prefer tips or skip cleaning the room?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:34 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I don't tip and I don't care what there wage or hours are. That is the responsibility of the hotel, not the hotel guest. My DND sign hangs on the door 100% of the time.
+1. I was just about to post the same thing. I clean up after myself too upon checkout (all towels and linens in a pile in the corner, etc)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by AppleApe
the 50% who don't leave tips better hide their toothbrushes and similar
items. housekeeping employees are 50% more likely to forget their own
cleaning brushes and use the toothbrushes instead. (to clean sinks and/or
toilet bowls)
This is exactly why this issue is so pernicious. Somebody decides that housekeepers are underpaid and must be tipped. The expectation is thus created and propagated, forcing everybody else to comply or risk having something done to their property. The whole thing is just ridiculous
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Do you / would you consider tipping is required in areas where the minimum wage for hotel workers is $15+/hour?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/los-ange...ers-1411594235
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Do you / would you consider tipping is required in areas where the minimum wage for hotel workers is $15+/hour?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/los-ange...ers-1411594235
just tip more?

when I stayed at the Waldorf for a week, courtesy of a client, I still tipped.
($10/day for housekeeping)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:13 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

just tip more?

when I stayed at the Waldorf for a week, courtesy of a client, I still tipped.
($10/day for housekeeping)
Why tip more?

I work as a DJ / run a Photo booth on the weekends for extra cash. Going in, I know what I'm making. Most nights, I'm even flexible (if it's supposed to end at 10, I'm cool with staying until 10:30 or whatever - I figure happy clients make for referrals). Have I gotten thrown an extra $20-40 on occasion? Sure. Do I expect it? No. The contract states that I will bring my gear and play for X hours for $XXX.xx amount.

These housekeepers know they are making $15/hour when they took the job. Is it nice to throw them an extra few bucks here or there? Sure. Should you need to *pay* them for doing their job? Not a chance, especially if I clean up after myself.

Last edited by caverunner17; Mar 20, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Go ahead and tell me off if you want. When I stay at a hotel for 2 or more nights, I have the room cleaned and I absolutely tip. When I am staying for only 1 night, I do not tip. When I purchase the room for a night, I expect it to be clean when I enter it. I don't make a mess either, so that helps my case.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:11 pm

Last edited by brendog; Oct 6, 2023 at 11:43 am Reason: ...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Is this really a serious a question - the staff would prefer you clean up after yourself, request no extra towels, make the bed, put all your crap in neat tidy pile so they do not have touch anything, and leave a $20 bill next to TV each and every day.

Ever less seriously. Who cares what the staff wants - what do you want? You are the sap paying for the room?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:32 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
the 50% who don't leave tips better hide their toothbrushes and similar
items. housekeeping employees are 50% more likely to forget their own
cleaning brushes and use the toothbrushes instead. (to clean sinks and/or
toilet bowls)
Never tipped a cleaner and don't see why I should. If I ever found they had done this to my possessions they would be looking for another job and he hotel would be paying massive compensation.

Maybe we need to put hidden cameras in rooms to detect this sort of behaviour so it can be punished and stamped out?

As per other posters I don't want/need cleaning services when doing a multiple day stay. And yet the hotel makes it virtually impossible to opt out.

If I see the cleaner I'll tell them I don't need service and let them make the phone call if required.

Never had one refuse that benefit!
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I don't tip and I don't care what there wage or hours are. That is the responsibility of the hotel, not the hotel guest. My DND sign hangs on the door 100% of the time.
I'm in this camp. DND hangs 24/7 and I don't tip the housekeeping staff.

At the most and very rarely, I'll call the front desk to send up some fresh towels if I run out of usable ones. To me, a towel doesn't need to be replaced daily so I hang them when finished and I don't need new bedsheets over my 1 - 4 night stay.

I don't like the idea I have to bribe the staff to keep some from brushing their butt with my toothbrush. Since I don't know who to trust I prefer nobody in my room unless I let them in.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by wendyg
mules: yes. The book is by Barbara Ehrenreich.

It strikes me that there's a third option: use the DND sign to bar service but tip *anyway*.

However, it has never occurred to me to tip housekeeping in hotels. I don't stay in a lot of hotels, though, and those I do are usually on the cheaper end. Who leaves a tip in a Travelodge? So in what class of hotel is this standard practice?

wg
It's not standard practice.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Money in hand vs maybe going home early and not getting paid for that time...I think most people would take the money.
I tend to tip on the last day of my stay and skip house keeping service if my stay is just 2 nights.
I tip every day because maybe the housekeeper is not the same one doing your room every day.

I like to get my room cleaned as it keeps someone in a job and I like to tip to give them a few extra bucks for a great job. I can only imagine how nice it would feel to have someone appreciate your hard work.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I do care what their wages are. If I'm staying in a country, such as Vietnam where the average monthly wage is about US$200 and I'm at the Metropole in a $800 a night room I'll sure as heck tip every day.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
I'm a privacy freak, I don't want people entering my room, so I prefer that zero people enter my room except for my companions.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by max1304
It's never even occurred to me to leave a tip in a hotel room, but I am British and deeply uncomfortable with the whole tipping mentality, particularly the expectation.
Do you leave it on the side and if so, how would they distinguish a tip from cash you've just forgotten to pick up or tidy away?

I leave the tip under the TV remote on the night stand each morning when we head out. Sometimes with a note that just says Thanks!.

I tip a $5 each day. They often leave notes thanking me very much and the room is cleaned early after that first night and sometimes they leave extra towels and shampoo. We like to come back to the hotel to nap early in the afternoon and then head back out, so I like the room cleaned early.

They don't get paid much in the USA, so it isn't like it'll kill me to leave a $5. Tipping people with low paying jobs is just how America works. It isn't as necessary in advanced countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.