Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Housekeeping: Prefer tips or skip cleaning the room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping: Prefer tips or skip cleaning the room?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by gourmand73
Hello,

Do you think Housekeeping would prefer to service a room and receive a tip or do you think they would prefer to skip the room if you didn't require it? This is supposing they get paid the full time no matter how many or how little rooms they have to service for the day.
I think most maids get paid per room cleaned. If they can skip your room but still get paid, I'm sure they would be happy, but I suspect a DND sign on your door all day clues management in that the room was not cleaned.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:58 pm

I worked as a housekeeper for a while in a posh resort. I would work 7 hours some days, 9 other days. There was a relatively finite amount of hours I could work. You generally have to stay away from somebody's room till 8 or 830. After that, you generally have to be done all occupied rooms by about 3PM. After that there were other duties if you wanted more time. Some people just drove home or went to their rooms for a Red Bull. (for example, picking up trash or doing odd jobs for the owner was an option if you were pressed for pay). It was quite expensive to live on site, especially if you went for drinks at night with the staff.

Of note, if you're drinking with staff, they'll kick you out if a customer off the street wants a table. Even if he's not a guest. There were also restaurants on site we weren't allowed in.

I was paid per hour, and it was rarely a full day every day. The wages weren't bad, but I made dramatically more at my regular job that I went back to later.

If you tip, be very clear it's for housekeeping. When I stay somewhere, I always stop the cart in the hall, ask if they're cleaning my room and tip them directly. I don't care if the room is messy, if they're there, and they're going to restock my coffee machine, clean my toilet and change my sheets, they get about 10% of the cost of the room.

CK.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:22 pm

I leave about $5 under the notepad that is usually on the desk or by the phone. On the top slip of paper I write "for the housekeeper" in the local language. However, if I am in a country where tipping is not the norm I will skip it. But I am american and end up feeling bad about it!

Has anyone else read the book from a few years ago called 'Nickeled and Dimed'? It was a memoir by a woman who had been working several different kinds of minimum wage jobs. Hotel housekeeping was one of the jobs.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:07 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I will always write thank you on the note pad and leave the money below it. I think that is a pretty good signal. Although usually I will only tip the last day.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
I'm pretty good at following local customs when it comes to tipping, but I'm one of those that tips every time I request the room to be cleaned, typically every other day. Of all the stories I've heard about housekeeping, I would rather show some appreciation than just ask them do their "job". Almost all would take the money and provide something extra in return, be it extra shampoo or more bottled water.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't tip and I don't care what there wage or hours are. That is the responsibility of the hotel, not the hotel guest. My DND sign hangs on the door 100% of the time.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: US Gold
mules: yes. The book is by Barbara Ehrenreich.

It strikes me that there's a third option: use the DND sign to bar service but tip *anyway*.

However, it has never occurred to me to tip housekeeping in hotels. I don't stay in a lot of hotels, though, and those I do are usually on the cheaper end. Who leaves a tip in a Travelodge? So in what class of hotel is this standard practice?

wg
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wendyg
mules: yes. The book is by Barbara Ehrenreich.

It strikes me that there's a third option: use the DND sign to bar service but tip *anyway*.

However, it has never occurred to me to tip housekeeping in hotels. I don't stay in a lot of hotels, though, and those I do are usually on the cheaper end. Who leaves a tip in a Travelodge? So in what class of hotel is this standard practice?

wg
None, less than half of all hotel guests leave a housekeeping tip.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by nonstarter
Because it's a PITA to have the right amount of money around all the time, getting worse as I use cash less and less often. I wish hotels would just pay their staff a decent wage and charge me for it in the room rate (seriously, I would go out of my way to stay there), or barring that include a service charge in my bill. Until that time comes it's a lottery who gets my tip when I check out.
Something so basic as bringing tip money for travel is a PITA? Interesting. Why should the housekeeping staff deal with your "lottery"?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by max1304
Do you leave it on the side and if so, how would they distinguish a tip from cash you've just forgotten to pick up or tidy away?
When we tip, we use the hotel stationary (letterhead and/or envelopes) that's already in the room, marking it FOR HOUSEKEEPING STAFF. Otherwise, I will attach a labeled Post-It note (I always keep a pack in my purse) to the $5 bill.

FYI: We have only stayed/traveled around the United States. Our first international overnight stay will be sometime next year in Windsor and Toronto, Ontario. I will make inquiries then on the tipping guidelines.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by planemechanic
I don't tip and I don't care what there wage or hours are. That is the responsibility of the hotel, not the hotel guest. My DND sign hangs on the door 100% of the time.
Yep. And as I've mentioned several times before on these threads, I do have one really good data point on this subject, albeit only one - my MIL is a hotel housecleaner and she absolutely could care less about being tipped. She has an allotment of rooms she has to get through and the best room for her is one that has not been trashed.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Some places pay them by the room, so you're not helping them to have them skip it. Why not just ask them?

FYI, you will find hundreds of pages of tipping debates in the archives of FT. Happy reading.
What if you don't want your room cleaned? I don't care if they get paid by the room. I don't want my room cleaned during my stay.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix
There's a 50% chance of a tip being left for a housekeeping staff member when he or she services the room. But there is a 100% knowledge of what that staff member will get if the room is to be skipped: less work. Based on that, I believe they would rather skip the room.

With respect, I have never understood why some choose the last day to tip instead of tipping each day. There is no guarantee that the staff member from Day 1 will be the same one throughout the course of one's stay.
the 50% who don't leave tips better hide their toothbrushes and similar
items. housekeeping employees are 50% more likely to forget their own
cleaning brushes and use the toothbrushes instead. (to clean sinks and/or
toilet bowls)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by LadyPhoenix
[COLOR="Blue"]

With respect, I have never understood why some choose the last day to tip instead of tipping each day. There is no guarantee that the staff member from Day 1 will be the same one throughout the course of one's stay.
Totally agree with this so I will tip daily. The person who cleans the room on the last day is not necessarily the one who has been cleaning your whole stay. Especially if you check out on a Sunday. Weekends generally have a different "shift" of people than the Monday-Friday service.

I also leave the tip in the bathroom rather than in the room proper as they will take what is in the bathroom but not necessarily what is in the room.

If you don't want your room cleaned, just put the do not disturb sign on the door.

Personally, I like to have my room cleaned every day. It's the only opportunity where I can get someone else to make my bed everyday and do the laundry. LOL LOL
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Two rooms: one where drunken party was last night, beer cans all over, footsteps on furniture, piss in bathroom... anyway, you got an idea. Second room - just to replace coffee pads, nothing else is required.

First room's occupant leaves $5 tip, second - nothing. Which room do you think the cleaning staff would be happy to deal with?

I don't ask to clean my rooms - unless I stay in the same room for more than a week (never happened) I would use the same towels. I can take care to straighten-up the bed. So when I check into hotel, I always tell - no housekeeping needed till I check out.

Works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.