Wiki Posts
Search

Weird Flight Path over Michigan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Platinum, National Executive, DL-Average Joe

I know Flight aware often has inaccuracies in it's data, however I don't think this one is inaccurate. But it is however very odd. Thoughts what was going on at midnight over Michigan?

Maybe looking for Jimmy Hoffa?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...458Z/KJXN/KJXN
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Hub&Spoke
I know Flight aware often has inaccuracies in it's data, however I don't think this one is inaccurate. But it is however very odd. Thoughts what was going on at midnight over Michigan?

Maybe looking for Jimmy Hoffa?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...458Z/KJXN/KJXN
Aurora-watching from a light airplane?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

It could be aurora watching. Or it may be some sort of survey aircraft (even at midnight!).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:57 pm

Interesting that the line before that indicates the flight was listed as jackson to flint and then has diverted on that. Flight path does have it going to the flint area first.

I would think based on the positioning of the plane that there'd be too much light polution to be doing aurora watching. Straight north to get just north of lansing would make more sense than that rather than flying up to flint then working your way SE. That area has a fair amount of light polution. Quite honestly, it's pretty rare that we can see the Aurora from this far south anyways (and I'd say just about every time it's supposed to be possible it's almost guaranteed to be cloudy).

The patterns flown make more think more along the lines of surveying.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by piper28
Interesting that the line before that indicates the flight was listed as jackson to flint and then has diverted on that. Flight path does have it going to the flint area first.

I would think based on the positioning of the plane that there'd be too much light polution to be doing aurora watching. Straight north to get just north of lansing would make more sense than that rather than flying up to flint then working your way SE. That area has a fair amount of light polution. Quite honestly, it's pretty rare that we can see the Aurora from this far south anyways (and I'd say just about every time it's supposed to be possible it's almost guaranteed to be cloudy).

The patterns flown make more think more along the lines of surveying.
I wonder what kind of surveying they'd be doing between midnight and four AM though.

A friend looked up the Mooney's tail number. It belongs to a private company and was just registered last week, FWIW.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Maybe someone doing some sort of IFR training / practice? I used to grab the proverbial "$100 hamburger" (it was actually breakfast) there all the time and there were always folks practicing approaches / holds / etc. there - they have a manned tower to work with (at least they used to!). That airport has a good restaurant with a ramp that is jammed up with airplanes on Saturday and Sunday. It used to be really cool to fly in there when the NASCAR / Indy crews were in town to see all of their private jets lined up.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Maybe someone doing some sort of IFR training / practice? I used to grab the proverbial "$100 hamburger" (it was actually breakfast) there all the time and there were always folks practicing approaches / holds / etc. there - they have a manned tower to work with (at least they used to!). That airport has a good restaurant with a ramp that is jammed up with airplanes on Saturday and Sunday. It used to be really cool to fly in there when the NASCAR / Indy crews were in town to see all of their private jets lined up.
Probably not between midnight and four AM though.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:26 pm

Can you explain this 738 from ORD-DCA?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...315Z/KORD/KDCA
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by factory81

That's impressive! (Actual distance flown more than 2x the flight plan, which wasn't even direct to begin with.)
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:04 am

Almost certainly an ATC hold / delay... 2 highly flow-controlled airports.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Probably not between midnight and four AM though.
Probably not at that time although I did parts of my IFR training at night under a hood. Usually around 9pm to midnightish though...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Almost certainly an ATC hold / delay... 2 highly flow-controlled airports.
Very likely indeed. It's common for flights departing CLE for ORD, if not subject to a ground hold, to go into a holding pattern within minutes after take-off.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by kochleffel
Very likely indeed. It's common for flights departing CLE for ORD, if not subject to a ground hold, to go into a holding pattern within minutes after take-off.
I hope the passengers got the extra miles
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:09 am

I’ve been in normal flights and at arrival my kid (who logs to Flightaware) will ask me all exited what happened in flight that the plane apparently went back and forth…

I assume that it´s some kind of bug having to do with flightware predicting where the plane should be and mixing it with where the plane actually is…
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
unlikely to be holding patterns; flight duration was only 1+14 which is actually pretty quick for ORD-DCA

the track log data in FlightAware has no entries showing the flight on a northwesterly track, so the issue is certainly with the translation of aircraft data to the map plot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.