Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

carry on only

carry on only

Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Most of my travel is done with just my small messenger bag that fits under the seat. Though if I'm bringing heavy equipment, I prefer to just check it. It's worth the extra few minutes at the airport instead of worrying about whether or not I'll have space in the overhead.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I agree that Carry-on only can be the least hassle-free. However, there are a couple of issues for me:
* Outbound trips to see the grandkids typically involve citrus and other goodies from our place. (read: bulky, heavy)
* I am "vertically challenged" and now have an injured back, so lifting a 35 lb bag into the overhead is not a good idea in spite of the gentlemanly help I have had. Camera equipment is heavy enough.

I have done a 2-week African trip and some Europe trips with just a backpack in my younger days, and it was great.

My last long journey found me catching a toe in the wheels of a spinner bag and taking a nasty fall, so that's not necessarily the answer either.
I refuse to stay home but time and circumstances have a way of modifying behaviors.....
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately I am at the point of my life where I either go on vacation with my family for a week, or are going between home and college, so I do have to check a bag. I fortunately (knock on wood) haven't had my bag lost or damaged yet. While I find it annoying sometimes that people are struggling to grab their large bags from the overhead bins (especially if I have a tight connection), I do kind of support it because I disagree with airlines charging fees for checking bags. There is no need for them to do so other than to make more money.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Unfortunately I am at the point of my life where I either go on vacation with my family for a week, or are going between home and college, so I do have to check a bag. I fortunately (knock on wood) haven't had my bag lost or damaged yet. While I find it annoying sometimes that people are struggling to grab their large bags from the overhead bins (especially if I have a tight connection), I do kind of support it because I disagree with airlines charging fees for checking bags. There is no need for them to do so other than to make more money.
"There is no need for them to charge people for flying other than to make more money."

I think it's funny that in the TV sector many people ask for a-la-carte service and despises the "choose between packages" way of doing things. "Why pay for all those useless channels I don't need?" but when it comes to flights people despise the concept of dividing the packaged flight service into smaller services that people can opt in or out of.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:51 am

My final straw to stop bringing checkin luggage, was on my trip back home, and wife talked me into bringing back my now empty checkin luggage. Flights got messed up, and I ended up sitting in the airport for hours because that checkin luggage was checked all the way to the home airport, so I could not change my final flight home. Sheesh! All because of an empty suitcase. I'm trying to figure out what everyone is putting in their carryon that weighs like 20 or 30 pounds. I just repacked my roller backpack for the upcoming trip, and the whole thing weighs less than 12 pounds. Even with some extra clothes and my medical supplies, it will still be under 15.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:21 am

Check a bag when required.

Why carry stuff around an airport if I don't have to? There are regular lengthy distances involved so let someone else take the strain.

If the wait at a baggage carousel is going to affect me I should have got an earlier flight.

I'd rather have something and not use it than regret not having it.

I wouldn't wash clothes in the sink at home so there's no way I'm going to do it while away.

If I lose some clothes I can always replace them, and the airline or insurance will pay. So what if I have to wait a few weeks for the money.

Less stress about overhead bin space.

No valid reason yet on this thread to change my practice.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Sort of. Of course the baggage fees are straight up revenue, but by encouraging passengers to pack lighter and/or bring their belongings into the cabin, they (reliably) free up space in the cargo hold for things like mail and freight.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Check a bag when required.

Why carry stuff around an airport if I don't have to? There are regular lengthy distances involved so let someone else take the strain.

If the wait at a baggage carousel is going to affect me I should have got an earlier flight.

I'd rather have something and not use it than regret not having it.

I wouldn't wash clothes in the sink at home so there's no way I'm going to do it while away.

If I lose some clothes I can always replace them, and the airline or insurance will pay. So what if I have to wait a few weeks for the money.

Less stress about overhead bin space.

No valid reason yet on this thread to change my practice.
The thing is, you do need a few necessities in a carryon in case your checked bag doesn't make it. If this hasn't happened to you yet, maybe you don't believe it ever will and prefer to take the chance.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
The thing is, you do need a few necessities in a carryon in case your checked bag doesn't make it. If this hasn't happened to you yet, maybe you don't believe it ever will and prefer to take the chance.
Quite agree.

I did say less stress about overhead space, not no stress, which I thought indicated I do take carry on. It's just that I intentionally minimise it.

I have had lost/delayed bags so fully aware of the consequences.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I don't believe it's an either/or proposition. My typical carry-on bags are a 19" roller and a personal-item sized laptop or cabin bag. This combination gets me through most trips.

If the trip requires more or I wish to take liquids or objects not permitted in the cabin I will check another smallish rolling bag. This way if the checked bag is delayed I will still have sufficient clothing, etc. in my carry-on. The absolutely required items (e.g. medication) go in the personal item and while the roller might be gate checked on an RJ the personal item is always with me.

Another option I've used is a larger checked-in garment bag and carry on a non-roller shoulder bag that while larger than a personal item is still well within the cabin limits of any airline. The carry-on has enough to get me through if my checked bag is delayed.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: Platinum
I agree the situation depends on the person and travel.

My mother in law recently bought herself a stylish spinner that she was going to use as a carry on. I asked her to lift it (empty) up above her head, and she couldn't. That's when I told her to get the United Explorer Visa and check her luggage from now on. She can keep her meds in her purse, and my brother in laws can help carry her luggage at the other end.

I feel she shouldn't depend on her fellow passengers or the flight attendant to do the heavy lifting for her.

Last edited by frankmu; Feb 28, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Never checked a bag in my life. Upthread someone talked about how waiting for luggage is nothing in the grand scheme of things. OK, when we're both on that flight back to CMH that gets in at 12:35 AM, and I'm already warm in bed while you're still waiting at a spinning wheel in dingy CMH basement, it sure is a big deal.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Never checked a bag in my life. Upthread someone talked about how waiting for luggage is nothing in the grand scheme of things. OK, when we're both on that flight back to CMH that gets in at 12:35 AM, and I'm already warm in bed while you're still waiting at a spinning wheel in dingy CMH basement, it sure is a big deal.
It really isn't. That fella will be in his warm bed a half hour later and two days later it won't matter one bit who was in bed a half hour earlier.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:48 am

Checked luggage for trips outside North America....so I can carry back bulky stuff bought.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:03 pm

It all depends on trip length and its purpose. A quick 2-3 day trip and carry on only will probably win out. A week or longer vacation? Checked bag for sure. I'm not going to be doing laundry in a hotel sink every other day or wasting water using a friend or relative's washer because I only have three days worth of clothes for a two week trip. I have had two bags damaged one of which Delta replaced for me but it's a risk I'm willing to take for longer trips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.