FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - carry on only
Thread: carry on only
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:11 am
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Tizzette
The thing is, you do need a few necessities in a carryon in case your checked bag doesn't make it. If this hasn't happened to you yet, maybe you don't believe it ever will and prefer to take the chance.
I don't believe it's an either/or proposition. My typical carry-on bags are a 19" roller and a personal-item sized laptop or cabin bag. This combination gets me through most trips.

If the trip requires more or I wish to take liquids or objects not permitted in the cabin I will check another smallish rolling bag. This way if the checked bag is delayed I will still have sufficient clothing, etc. in my carry-on. The absolutely required items (e.g. medication) go in the personal item and while the roller might be gate checked on an RJ the personal item is always with me.

Another option I've used is a larger checked-in garment bag and carry on a non-roller shoulder bag that while larger than a personal item is still well within the cabin limits of any airline. The carry-on has enough to get me through if my checked bag is delayed.