Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVED] What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (pre-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 6:29 pm
Suspended

The simple answer to that question for right now is go to college. Come back in 3 years when you're finishing your first degree and we'll all help out.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:23 pm

Career advice (business travel related)

I currently work in software on the technical side. I've been approached about a job in technical sales for my company. At first I politely and immediately turned it down but my company isn't taking no for an answer as they see me as the ideal candidate.

It is hard to get good technical people who also have good communication skills and an appreciation of business. Apparently.

I earn good money at the moment 60k (GBP) all in last year, I'm 28 with no ties so more than enough. The sales job has basic salary of 65k and the bonus would take that to between 80-100k. Obviously I'm attracted by the cash but I don't really need much money. I just pay my rent, beer money, gym fee and not much else. Not really in to shopping or consumer goods. I just invest most of it.

I'm not stupid though and more cash would help me save more for the future.

Not too attracted by the job though. At the moment I travel a lot with work (last four weeks - Germany, Paris, New York, LA) whereas the new role is purely UK based. I'm more of an international person.

The new job is only english speaking whereas in my currently role I get to use my other languages.

I find my current role technically interesting while at the same time very easy. I don't mean the job is easy but the kind of stuff many people would find hard (constant travelling, complex technical challenges, managing customers, communicating across language and cultural boundaries) are things I cherish and thrive upon.

The new role would see me speaking to people called, I imagine, Darren and Emily in places like Ipswich, Andover and Halifax. I would be trying to persuade them to buy stuff so I can make more bonus. Not really my scene or an enticing prospect.

I kind of hate sales people.

I pride myself on excelling at whatever job I do. So the energy and enthusiasm and, damn it, joy I bring to my current role is the reason I am being head hunted now. My current job just makes me so happy though.

Long term I'd like to either run my own consultancy or be a CIO or CEO of some majot company. I'm good at vision and business and I feel that I would be really good at it. Maybe that is just a dream though.

Perhaps taking on the sales side would give me more of an insight in to the business side of things and set me up for that...

...hmmm. So any advice? Anyone faced anything similar? What would yo do?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in the US, depending on your situation, you might be able to get more money from your current employer..

id personally stick with your current job, unless OTOH you take the higher salary and spend on vacations. maybe even request X vacation time or X bonus specifically for travel since you wont be traveling for work.

but then again if all the bonus is results based, and you dont get a commission, thats fairly unattractive, considering base salary isnt much more than current salary..
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: hardly any
Don't take the risk.

If, as you say, the new job would be in an area that you truly don't care for, simply don't take the risk. If you dislike sales now, you'll truly hate it later when it is too late.

Graciously decline, and emphasize the travel aspects and the language opportunties of your current position.

This new job sounds like flat soda masquerading as champagne.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:19 pm

You have to ask yourself where it takes you. Are you content where you are and what are the opportunities for upward mobility should you stay in your current position? In the new position? If you are having doubts about it, don't do it. You won't be happy. Sales can be a nightmare, you are not just fixing/troubleshooting things anymore(or whatever you do currently), now you'll have forcasts and quota's to live by. Bottom line, personal happiness is much more valuable than a few grand more a year.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
I agree with personal satisfaction being key but I would also make sure this really is a choice, if you turn it down will your current position still be yours or are they trying to move you out of that position and if you dont take the new you will be in line for a pink slip. And if the second is the case are you willing to face that choice?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Lehava
I agree with personal satisfaction being key but I would also make sure this really is a choice, if you turn it down will your current position still be yours or are they trying to move you out of that position and if you dont take the new you will be in line for a pink slip. And if the second is the case are you willing to face that choice?
If the second is the case, even then I think the OP would be better off letting the second case happen; that is, better to find out sooner than later rather than be frog-marched into an unwanted position at this time.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
If you find your job easy, make it more of a challenge for yourself in the hope that you will create the impression with your employer that you are more valuable where you are.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
PM me, I'll take the Sales job
Been in Technical sales all my life-Speak mainly English,US based(so UK would be international for me-and I see myself more that way) and I don't "hate" myself
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
No offense, but I don't understand why you would want to have your own business if you dislike sales so much. If you were CEO, you would be constantly selling. Selling to banks to lend you money, Selling to employees to convince them to join and stay with the company, Selling to investors and shareholders, perhaps Selling to the press, and of course, selling the product or service.

Anyway, I second the comment about the fact that you could likely earn more in the US in your current role. I suggest that you check it out and be sure to factor in taxes and cost of living - which could be much less, depending on which part of the US you compare.

Good luck.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Thumbs up You Hate Sales People?...

If you hate sales people, its probably because you think of sales people as guys in loud plaid jackets trying to "push" something to the end user that they don't need.

In professional sales, nothing could be further from the truth.

In today's marketplace, professionals in selling are problem solvers. The client or customer has a problem and it's our job to figure out the best, most cost effiecient way to do it.

I've sold industrial, and today I retail durable goods products to consumers. Different client base, but the basic process and procedures are the same.

And not one plaid sports coat in the bunch.

Do more research. There is something management sees in you that you don't see. Find out how professionals sales people - the REALLY GOOD ones - work. Perhaps job shadow them if you've not been out in the field with them. Make sure it's the best one in terms of long term, high level of production. Professionals that make it happen do it by producing results that work for the client time and time again.

And tell management what you want in terms of travel, language etc.

I've trained a lot of sales persons in my day, many of them when I worked industrial, even more today. The best ones unnderstood it wasn't about "sticking it" to a customer, but solving the problems and building good relationships. ^

Last edited by thebigfish; Mar 7, 2007 at 7:35 am Reason: forgot to add something...
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:23 am

Thanks Bigfish. Thought provoking.

I was being flippant with my 'hate salespeople comment'.

I could see myself as a problem solver.

I suppose I just feel like right now I am the good guy. I am on the customer's side.... I like the building relationships angle... I can work with that.

I think I am going to go for it.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jobs that require travel

I recently graduated from college and have been looking for a job in the tech field (I'd love to find a Business Analyst position...). I really enjoy traveling (especially internationally!) and think it might be fun to try a job with a fair amount of travel for a few years. Are there many entry-level to mid-level positions (I have about 3 years experience with a fairly well known tech company) in the tech field that would have a fair amount of travel? Any suggestions on jobs or companies I should look at?

I know this is a bit of a vague question as it depends on expertise, companies, etc, but I am just curious to hear what people have to say.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:52 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by sdm1130
Are there many entry-level to mid-level positions (I have about 3 years experience with a fairly well known tech company) in the tech field that would have a fair amount of travel? Any suggestions on jobs or companies I should look at?
Field service
Sales support
Flight attendant
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:57 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
account management
sales

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.