Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will premium economy ever become like old business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Back in the early days of the jet age, there was first class and economy. A few years later and for many years, a 6th seat was squeezed into the Boeing 707 in economy and that became the standard. The closest thing to that is Icelandair's 757, which has business class (old style first class) and economy.

Now we're seeing quite a few flat beds in international business class and premium economy is growing. Soon there will be 3 classes again, business, premium economy, and economy. A few still have first class.

I doubt business class will have cabins unless you consider British Airways Club World window seats as tiny cabins. Economy will likely stay the same as suggestions of a bicycle type seat and half standing may take a long time to come to place.

What about premium economy? Will we ever see old first class type seats (reclines more and wider)? How about the less common angle flat business seats? Would you pay for economy class style reduced service and an angle flat seat? Maybe I would????

In short.....
first class - largely eliminated
business class - flat bed seats
premium economy - like domestic (USA) first class or angle flat seats
economy - same like it is now
?????
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:17 pm

first class will never be eliminated (on international carriers). 4 cabins will be the standard.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lazard
first class will never be eliminated (on international carriers). 4 cabins will be the standard.
With flat bed seats, there doesn't seem to be that much added value to F. The seat is probably a little bit wider and the meal service a little fancier. I don't think many will offer showers in flight. Maybe they could someday offer a queen sized bed?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Box5
With flat bed seats, there doesn't seem to be that much added value to F. The seat is probably a little bit wider and the meal service a little fancier. I don't think many will offer showers in flight. Maybe they could someday offer a queen sized bed?
They already do in certain "Suites" class rooms
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CitizenWorld
They already do in certain "Suites" class rooms
I am behind the times! Ok, maybe they will offer a bathtub and an adjacent sitting room/office? Emirates A380-900?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I am behind the times! Ok, maybe they will offer a bathtub and an adjacent sitting room/office? Emirates A380-900?
They already do! Etihad's Residences
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
There seems to be a very big gap in what qualifies as Premium Economy, but I doubt we'll see angle-flat seats in there unless someone figures out a clever way of packing them in a good deal more densely. Relatively few of them even have a full leg-rest recliner seat...
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:10 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by lazard
It depends on the route. There are some int'l routes with 2 cabins only ^
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Am I missing something, ANA, Virgin at least Premium Economy have seats just like old US domestic F, is wider, more leg room
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
BA currently operates World Traveller Plus in 2-4-2 configuration on 777 and 747 aircraft, with eight seats across at 38" pitch. The old-style Club World seats I remember before the flat beds came along were 2-3-2, with seven seats across at approximately 50" pitch.

This means that 32 World Traveller Plus seats take up approximately the same space as 21 old-style Club World seats. For premium economy to become like the old business class on BA they would need to give up 34% of their seats.

If it does happen, it will probably take many decades.

But let's not forget that BA subsidiary Open Skies operates both flat beds and old-style business class seats. bmi did too when they were operating longhaul.

first class - largely eliminated
This is certainly not the case.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:14 pm

Openskies (BA) already has this. PE has a 48 pitch (and is very much like old CW). Others with near old business seats include NZ on some 777s.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The newer style PE on BA is very like domestic US F.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
I've been flying for forty years. Not one year without LH flight.
Back then, FCL looked like today's second tier JCL offers, with just reclining seats and not "suites". FCL offer has improved a lot, but, at the same time, YCL deteriorated a lot : reduced width, reduced pitch, cheap food, no more amenities, no more gifts (I still got that PanAm "pilot" pin, or TWA booklets).
In my opinion, WCL is just becoming what YCL was and should be. But we are probably less and less to think that ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.