Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compare mid range hotel chains

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Compare mid range hotel chains

How do the different hotels compare in your mind? I'm wondering if there's a chain I've never been to which is a safe bet. What's your favorite, with pros and cons?

This is especially for a long term business stay.

Hampton Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
Homewood Suites

Courtyard by Marriott
Residence Inn by Marriott
Springhill Suites

Candlewood Suites
Staybridge Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites

Quality Inn

Wingate

And any others that come to mind.

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 10, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Assuming long-term meaning 30 days or more, Staybridge is probably best. Their breakfast is significantly better than Residence Inn.

For shorter stays, SpringHill Suites would be my pick.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by littlesheep
How do the different hotels compare in your mind? I'm wondering if there's a chain I've never been to which is a safe bet. What's your favorite, with pros and cons?

This is especially for a long term business stay. Must have Wi-Fi, be clean and quiet, a micro and a little fridge, and for me I need windows that open.

Hampton Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
Homewood Suites

Courtyard by Marriott
Springhill Suites

Candlewood Suites
Staybridge Suites

Quality Inn

Wingate

Courtyard and Residence Inn. Quality has been anything but, in my experience.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Courtyard and Hilton Garden Inn to me are about the same and I like them for short term, less than 7 days. I have not been on a project longer than that recently but in the past opted for Residence Inn. I'm not a fan of RI "meals" so I usually cook for myself. (I'm in food service so I have my plans.)

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:38 pm

Marriott is my main program after SPG, so I prefer Spring Hill and RI for longer stays. I would rather sleep in my car than endure a "Quality" or a Wingate. My experience with the IHG long-term brands has been uneven, although Staybridge is always a better bet than Candlewood.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Assuming long-term meaning 30 days or more, Staybridge is probably best. Their breakfast is significantly better than Residence Inn.

For shorter stays, SpringHill Suites would be my pick.
Long term usually means 2-3 months.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you are going to look at Choice Hotels (Quality Inn,) I suggest moving up their property list to the Comfort Inn and Suites (not the lower range Comfort Inn which is similar to the Quality Inn.) They are a step above Quality and in the same general range as Hilton Garden Inn.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If you are going to look at Choice Hotels (Quality Inn,) I suggest moving up their property list to the Comfort Inn and Suites (not the lower range Comfort Inn which is similar to the Quality Inn.) They are a step above Quality and in the same general range as Hilton Garden Inn.
You jogged my memory - I stayed in a Comfort Inn and Suites once. It was disgusting.

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 10, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... It was disgusting. ...
Not my experience at all. You must have gotten a bad apple. IMHO, the Suites version is far better than Quality and others of their ilk.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For 2-3 months, I would want an extended stay property, something like a Residence Inn where (most) rooms have a genuine small apartment feel, including a small real kitchen.

Alternatively, you could get a decent room (or, better yet, suite) at a full service hotel where you get lounge access and ideally at least a small refrigerator or minibar that you can use in the room.

I'd compare rates for a room/suite with lounge privileges at Sheraton/Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt Regency to extended stay places like Residence Inn/element/Embassy Suites/Hyatt House/etc. I would avoid Courtyard if there's a choice and perhaps think of Hyatt Place as a compromise with their refrigerators, wet bars, and suite-like floor plans with free breakfast. Aloft rooms have tiny refrigerators but IMO wouldn't be comfortable for an extended stay.

You could ask if the hotel would permit you to use your own small microwave or toaster oven in the room, especially if it has a wet bar with refrigerator setup.

Since this is FT, think about the points and status that you can earn. Remember that SPG gives no points or night credit AT ALL for stays over 90 days/3 months while in the Marriott family, Residence Inn and a couple other brands earn points at half of the normal rate.

BTW, Marriott also has ExecuStay fully furnished apartments in some areas. There could be similar options if you don't need hotel services, including someone to prepare breakfast.

Note that some "extended stay" apartment/suite style properties attract business travelers during the week but are overrun with large families and unruly kids when weekends and holidays approach. If someone has a lot of kids, it's cheaper to book an extended stay "suite", use the sofa bed and rollaways to pack everyone into a single unit, and take advantage of the free food. Games and streaming movies can make wifi impossibly slow at such times.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 9, 2015 at 11:00 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long term usually means 2-3 months.

Thanks!
No about it - 2-3 months means top tier elite status at whichever brand you pick.

I'd still recommend Staybridge Suites first, then Residence Inn. Homewood Suites (Hilton) is also an OK choice. Just check with the exact property for opening windows - almost all should have 'em.

I'd stay away from Hyatt Place only because so many of them are converted AmeriSuites, and in the conversions they kept the quite loud PTAC units in the rooms. Staybridge often has central-air AC instead of the in-wall PTAC units.

I wouldn't recommend anything from Choice or Wyndham.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:53 pm

This is especially for a long term business stay. Must have Wi-Fi, be clean and quiet, a micro and a little fridge, and for me I need windows that open.

Hampton Inn
Hilton Garden Inn
Homewood Suites

Courtyard by Marriott
Springhill Suites

Candlewood Suites
Staybridge Suites
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites

Quality Inn

Wingate

I find the Choice (Quality Inn, etc) and Holiday Inn hotels very inconsistent from place to place -- unless I've seen the specific place first, I wouldn't book there. (What isn't on your list is Best Western, which I find the most consistent from location to location -- certainly not always the best in town, but in an unknown situation, it's often my first choice because of a known level of quality).

The Marriott properties have always given me good experiences; my experience with Hampton Inns have been good, but not the Hilton Garden Inns I've stayed at. I have no experience with Candlewood or Staybridge.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
We could all go on at quite some length about how the various chains and families of brands compare. But there are already countless threads across multiple forums doing that. If I were planning a 2-3 month stay in a single hotel I would certainly consider various brand-level factors but it'd also be critical to have knowledge of the particular properties I'm considering. That's because even in chains that have a high degree of consistency across properties there are still variations between them. In every portfolio there are at least a few stinkers as well as the occasional gem.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

What I was trying to get at is to compare the lesser known to me to what I know.

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 10, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I was trying to get at is to compare the lesser known to me to what I know.

For example, I've just discovered there's a Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites and I wonder how it compares, for example, to a Hilton Garden Inn, which is usually my hotel of choice?

I could have made dozens of threads - how does a compare to b, how does a compare to c, how does d compare to e, etc., but that wouldn't make sense to do. There might be a better way to ask the question but I was trying to get at the feel of the different chains.
Um, they're chains. Not exactly sure what kind of a difference in "feel" you're expecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.