Compare mid range hotel chains

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compare mid range hotel chains

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I have always thought of Best Western as pretty bad in the U.S./Canada, yet oddly good outside the United States. That's good to hear that they may be cleaning their image up here in North America. I've stayed in a couple of them over the years...mainly in the upper Midwest during long roadtrips...and they were barebones roadside motels that were likely built in the 50's or 60's.
The newer ones, built mid 2000s and on are actually quite nice, comparable to any HGI or Courtyard.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Marriott RI allows points/nights for long stays. Starwood gives no points/nights/stay credit at all for any stay (as they define it) that exceeds 90 days or 3 months, not even for the initial period.

Something else to think about is taxes on hotel rooms. In many USA jurisdictions, you can avoid paying them for stays over 30 days or 1 month, although you may be required to sign a lease. If you check out (versus just periodically pay the bill) or switch rooms, the 30 days/1 month starts all over again. Sometimes it can be cheaper to pay for the room continuously, including weekends when you're elsewhere.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
When I stayed at the RI mentioned above, they quoted me a monthly rate that was basically 22x our daily corp rate.

It was great to be able to leave all of my clothes, luggage, etc. there on the weekends. Sometimes checked into a different Marriott in another city on the weekends...no problems with those stays posting correctly.

If you corporate travel agent doesn't automatically find these rates for you, phone the hotel directly and ask.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by pinniped
In the 1980's and earlier, what were the primary choices for the kinds of rural/suburban hotels we're talking about here? Brands like the original Holiday Inn and Howard Johnson's come to mind. Maybe Ramada was more of a common brand then?

I guess I look at it the other way and say our total choices are much greater now. We have all of these "minisuite" brands and full-suite brands to choose from if we want space.

From a standard room perspective, I'll admit I've never measured the square footage of an HIX, Hampton, Fairfield, etc. room. They always seem fine to me. The places I feel the most cramped are older hotels in Europe, especially in boutique or non-chain hotels where each room may be individually bookable, eliminating upgrades and the like.
I think you're right about there being less choices back in those days. Extended stay properties weren't really a thing and the upper end of economy properties with interior corridors just coming into the market full-speed.

I too do like that there's a myriad of choices today. It's also great from an owner perspective as you can have a more unique product in a 'full' market and still attract/retain business.

I'm not saying that the modern rooms are cramped by any means, but I know that rooms that were constructed earlier had larger square foot plans for sure. Good arrangement and layout can even make a small room seem bigger though, which to me is the hallmark of great design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.