Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Go to the airport to get some work done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by tnm5041
A few years back, a friend and I wound up waiting 8 hours at the ORF "observatory area" for a friend stuck on the LGA tarmac. When it became apparent we'd be significantly delayed in resuming our OBX vacation, we found a local booze and smoke shop and ended up having a great time in the parking lot blasting Springsteen and smoking cigars.
And this pretty much sums up my attitude in college about working vs having fun!

I do find it almost impossible to work at my home airport (ORD) because its always a mess although the DL Sky Club is usually pretty easy. MSN which was my last hub was a lot easier.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Q54701
Where are there places to work at an airport on this side of security?

Starbucks and Tim Hortons are the best places for me.

I enjoy white noise when I work and a change of scenery (I guess that's why I love flying and travel so much!) So I'm not saying I do this every week, but I have done it a couple of times in the past few months. I think for me I enjoy going to the airport (probably from being a child and picking my dad up from the airport on Friday nights when he would be away for business for the week) so it has a feel-good factor that helps me.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tnm5041
A few years back, a friend and I wound up waiting 8 hours at the ORF "observatory area" for a friend stuck on the LGA tarmac. When it became apparent we'd be significantly delayed in resuming our OBX vacation, we found a local booze and smoke shop and ended up having a great time in the parking lot blasting Springsteen and smoking cigars.
Now that sounds like a great time ^
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
I imagine the time traveling to/from the airport would negate any time gained by the extra productivity.
If you can time travel I don't think you need to worry about extra productivity.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I think this has more to do with YVR being such an outstanding airport than anything else. I couldn't imagine getting much work done at DFW or ORD, for example. But YVR? Piece of cake.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K

seems people are talking about places beyond security which isn't what the OP is talking about... I'm still curious where these places exist that you can go to without a valid ticket
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
seems people are talking about places beyond security which isn't what the OP is talking about... I'm still curious where these places exist that you can go to without a valid ticket
Several airports have restaurants, shops, and other facilities - even lounges - landside.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
Several airports have restaurants, shops, and other facilities - even lounges - landside.
Both terminals at RDU have a Starbucks outside security. That plus our free Wifi could easily lead to some work getting done ^
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I've never gone on work trip where I had to do any work! I just love the airport atmosphere too. I don't think I could work there. I love poking around and checking everyone out and wondering where they are going and what they are up to.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CMK10
When I was an undergraduate at Arizona State, I'd go park my car in the cell phone lot at PHX. I'd play CDs, occasionally watch planes land and takeoff, and get through reading that required me to not be around the distractions in my house.
And of course, not like an ASU student really needs to work or study that hard! (Go Wildcats!)
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So, I would never go to the airport to specifically work but I am productive when I can be bothered to be there (since the new LHR T2 United lounge opened I daren't open the laptop due to the high possibility of alcohol/laptop ingress!), but do often like to get to coffee shops and work. My only issue is this and I wonder what others do, when I have my laptop out and writing pads (you youngsters may not remember these ) and you need to go to the toilet, do you ask an honest looking stranger to look after it or what ? For me it depends, but I wonder what others do.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
And of course, not like an ASU student really needs to work or study that hard! (Go Wildcats!)
Awww wise guy eh?

Q: How do you get a Wildcat off your porch?
A: Pay for your pizza
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:28 pm

I am disappointed that YVR is not busy for such a major city. YVR is only good for working because there's not much foot traffic.

STL is similarly dead but there's not much landside seating. CAE (Columbia, SC) has seating, good lighting, and not far away. I have found some quiet and well lit areas at PHL, SFO, and LGA (temporary lounge that will be leased to a store soon).
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CMK10
Awww wise guy eh?

Q: How do you get a Wildcat off your porch?
A: Pay for your pizza

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.