Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Go to the airport to get some work done?

Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles

I've done this a couple of times and wonder if other people do too. I find myself to be very productive working at airports. Somehow during the hour before a flight I seem to be able to get 2 hours worth of work done.

So to test things out, I've recently gone a few times to the airport to work even when I'm not flying. I've found that I love the environment (travel buzz....people watching...and good amenities) and its been a great place for me to get some work done. Just wondering if I am the only one crazy enough to do this?

A few factors for me:
- I travel a bit, but not as much as I would like (under 50K last year which was my best year)
- YVR is an excellent airport with free wifi and a train direct from my home
- I work from home and I'm often changing my home office scenery to local coffee shops anyways, so I view YVR as I would my favourite coffee place
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:30 pm

YVR is not bad for working, but if you aren't in a lounge, where do you have a good table setup for your laptop?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K

Where are there places to work at an airport on this side of security?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'll echo the questions raised by Q54701 and WillTravel. I can be productive at an airport, too, but I need 1) a somewhat quiet work area and 2) enough room to set up my computer comfortably. It's very rare anymore to find #2 outside of security. Behind security I can find #1 on light travel days by seeking out an unused gate area. Or a restaurant at off hours. But during peak travel everywhere is crazy except in a lounge, and even there it's not always a sanctuary.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:05 pm

YVR departures is actually a very relaxing place to spend time. I've spent more time in that airport (pre-security at least) than most, and I haven't flown since 2010.

The internet there is better than at my house. (Although that's probably because I have Telus for internet...) There are three Tim-Hortons within a 500m radius, and there's a 7-11, which is all you need for food if you're a cheap student like me. The upper dining area, and the observation deck, are quiet places to work/study/read during off-peak times. There are so many reasons to spend time there!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:10 pm

I imagine the time traveling to/from the airport would negate any time gained by the extra productivity.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
I did that once at YYC. I used to work there so I knew there was this large room in a restaurant overlooking the tarmac that they rarely used (sort of like an overflow room). I bought a sandwich and worked for about 3 hours or so. I stayed so long the waitress forgot I was there. It was a good change of scenery.

That spot was being renovated the last time I was at the airport so unless you want to hangout at Montana's there wouldn't be many other spots around to set up a laptop anymore.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When I was an undergraduate at Arizona State, I'd go park my car in the cell phone lot at PHX. I'd play CDs, occasionally watch planes land and takeoff, and get through reading that required me to not be around the distractions in my house.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CMK10
When I was an undergraduate at Arizona State, I'd go park my car in the cell phone lot at PHX. I'd play CDs, occasionally watch planes land and takeoff, and get through reading that required me to not be around the distractions in my house.
I've done something similar in high school, but it was at a nearby, smallish FBO airport. And well before 9/11, so I would just park alongside a couple Cessnas and have an unimpeded view of the runway. Kept relatively busy during certain days/times when the corporate jet folks were commuting.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
... I go to Starbucks.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jesperss
I imagine the time traveling to/from the airport would negate any time gained by the extra productivity.
You beat me to it!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Originally Posted by Jesperss
You beat me to it!
That all depends how far you live from the airport.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Ha.. Misread the OP.. I was about to agree..

But: Yes, I will often go to the airport early when I am on business travel as I am more productive there than in a cafe, hotel lounge etc.. But no way would I just go to an airport to work if not flying that day..
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Unless you have lounge access before security, and the lounge is open also to non same-day departing passengers, I don't see how an airport could induce to productive work.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
I've done something similar in high school, but it was at a nearby, smallish FBO airport. And well before 9/11, so I would just park alongside a couple Cessnas and have an unimpeded view of the runway. Kept relatively busy during certain days/times when the corporate jet folks were commuting.
A few years back, a friend and I wound up waiting 8 hours at the ORF "observatory area" for a friend stuck on the LGA tarmac. When it became apparent we'd be significantly delayed in resuming our OBX vacation, we found a local booze and smoke shop and ended up having a great time in the parking lot blasting Springsteen and smoking cigars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.