Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Limits on Sitting in Exit Row

Limits on Sitting in Exit Row

Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Thanks for all the comments. I don't NEED the cane; I use it to reduce the ankle pain ONLY upon prolonged standing (like waiting to board ). BTW, I do push-ups, sit-ups, and some weigh training twice a week. I can still (at 70 years old) bench press 150 pounds repeatedly and I do overhead lifts up to 125 pounds with repetitions, so the door would be no problem. But, yes, I get the all the points made: no more exit rows for me. But, I guess getting old beats the other alternative .
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by relangford
Thanks for all the comments. I don't NEED the cane; I use it to reduce the ankle pain ONLY upon prolonged standing (like waiting to board ). BTW, I do push-ups, sit-ups, and some weigh training twice a week. I can still (at 70 years old) bench press 150 pounds repeatedly and I do overhead lifts up to 125 pounds with repetitions, so the door would be no problem. But, yes, I get the all the points made: no more exit rows for me. But, I guess getting old beats the other alternative .
Yep, research shows that people that have more birthdays live longer!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
so let's play 'worst case scenario...'. Plane crash-lands and is on fire or is sinking in the Hudson. Everyone is in shock and panic trying to evacuate the plane, but the 50+ people behind you need to sit and wait patiently while you get out your cane to assist with balance as you attempt to remove the exit hatch ?

Your condition is exactly why there are physical standards for exit row eligibility.
Sounds like you don't meet those standards.
If I am behind him, I am not waiting for him to grab a cane. He would be pushed aside while the hatch is opened and once opened he would be ejected through it.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
My kids are more capable of opening that door than many of the adults I see in those seats yet they are not allowed to sit in them due to age limits.
Perhaps physically capable but that's not everything, and airline staff should not be asked to decide on anything else.

If the person who posted this was sitting in an exit row I presume he had status or paid for it so why not just get another economy plus or equivalent seat.
There are still airlines out there that offer first come first served for exit rows.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by ft101
Perhaps physically capable but that's not everything, and airline staff should not be asked to decide on anything else.
If the other factors are take direction, move quickly, lift 45 lbs, and know what to do, I still say that they can do it as well or better than many of the adults that sit in those rows. If you are talking about having the mental capcity not to panic, I still say the same things. There aren't any qualifications to judge whether someone will panic or not.

Originally Posted by ft101
There are still airlines out there that offer first come first served for exit rows.

which ones, I myself would like to know (talking U.S. Domestic)
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:58 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Southwest
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:15 am

If the other factors are take direction, move quickly, lift 45 lbs, and know what to do, I still say that they can do it as well or better than many of the adults that sit in those rows. If you are talking about having the mental capcity not to panic, I still say the same things. There aren't any qualifications to judge whether someone will panic or not.
There is a better chance that an adult will be more mentally capable than a kid of dealing appropriately with an emergency situation. Even if your kids could outperform some adults, the FAs are in no position to make that call.

This thread is not solely about US Domestic airlines. Emirates is one international airline I use that has a first come first served approach to exit row seats.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd love to see some more selection of people capable of acting rationally in an emergency! Maybe they give a 'free pass' to all those that are in / have been in the emergency services (firefighters, police, etc.) or military, provided they are still physically able (maybe not the 90 year old veteran in a wheelchair, in other words). For the rest of the populations, how about a course you can attend at your local airport to prove you have what it takes (run through drills, etc.) so whilst it can't guarantee you won't panic in an emergency, at least you would be far better prepared to act?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Reminds me of this previous thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-exit-row.html
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by emma69
I'd love to see some more selection of people capable of acting rationally in an emergency! Maybe they give a 'free pass' to all those that are in / have been in the emergency services (firefighters, police, etc.) or military, provided they are still physically able (maybe not the 90 year old veteran in a wheelchair, in other words).
This is a wonderful idea. Show your ID, and you are placed there. However, your family is not....

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 5, 2014 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by emma69
I'd love to see some more selection of people capable of acting rationally in an emergency! Maybe they give a 'free pass' to all those that are in / have been in the emergency services (firefighters, police, etc.) or military, provided they are still physically able (maybe not the 90 year old veteran in a wheelchair, in other words). For the rest of the populations, how about a course you can attend at your local airport to prove you have what it takes (run through drills, etc.) so whilst it can't guarantee you won't panic in an emergency, at least you would be far better prepared to act?
Emma: Once again, you logical sense come through.

I agree with this same system where you go for a test at airport and re-tested every so many years to earn a "license to sit in exit row".

Until then the FA has right of final decision and I would agree that denial due to having mobility assist device is a safe decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.