Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Returning from LAX/SMF after Christmas - pay now or wait?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

I've got a tricky question.

I have reserved an one way ticket containing flights from BWI-SNA to visit a friend, then I'm heading home to Northern California to visit family for Christmas. After Christmas, we'll be heading back south to go to a wedding. From that point, I'm trying to secure a return from ONT/SNA/BUR/LAX to DCA. I specifically want DCA, as BWI will be just too inconvenient for me. (I'm taking the MARC from DC to BWI, which isn't a problem, but the return days are too limited and time-consuming, and I don't really have a way to get a ride.)

I'm trying to find return flights for those abovementioned cities to DCA, but it's at least $400, which is a bit too much over my budget. My family will be leaving the Los Angeles area on Sunday the 28th, and will be willing to drop me off at any of those airports (ONT/SNA would be much more convenient, though, as well as BUR; LAX is the most inconvenient, but probably would be a possibility). Leaving 12/29 (Monday) may be workable, but I don't want to put anyone out, and the family members we're staying with work on Monday, so a ride is out. ONT would probably be the only option doable with Uber. I'm really on a shoestring budget here.

Alternatively, my family could drop me off from SMF on 12/29 or 12/30, but again, those dates are also just too expensive, especially to DCA. Unfortunately, SFO/SJC/OAK aren't workable for my family due to the long driving distance, so SMF will do in a pinch.

I'm at a crossroads here. Should I wait? I believe the 2-week "deadline" for a better deal would be 12/14, but I've read that these days, sometimes last-minute one-way tickets are actually better deals.

I just don't understand why fares are SO expensive, even from highly competitive airports such as LAX. Yes, I realize it's a holiday, but still.

What would you recommend I do? Wait, or just bite the bullet and grab the best ticket price I can now?

Many thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:02 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
The holiday period is probably what's getting in the way here. That said, how important is it that your flights are at a specific time? Have you considered biding for one on Priceline, or trying Hotwire?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
United has BUR-SFO-IAD on Mon 29th, lv 7am ar 645pm; Fairfax Connector #981 bus from IAD to Reston to get the Silver Line is $1.75

as of 830am UA.com shows 2 seats available at $278

Sun 28th SNA-EWR-BWI lv 930pm ar 10am is $328; 5 seats available as of 845am

mid-day MARC service is a whole lot better than late evening ... there's also the B30 Metro bus to Greenbelt for $6, runs every 40 min

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 5, 2014 at 6:46 am Reason: add SNA option
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses so far!

Not meaning to sound like I'm deflecting your advice here, but BUR on Monday is impossible, due to not having a ride and the expenses that would be incurred by going all the way there from Glendora.

I'd really prefer not to take a redeye if possible, but that's the last resort. Especially if it's to BWI; DCA is really my only preferred option here.

Would you recommend waiting or pouncing now? I did a test/dummy booking for 12/12 from the same markets (ONT/SNA-DCA) and it's actually much cheaper, considering 12/12 is in exactly a week.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG
If you can swing it with carry on only you can book LAX-DCA-PIT for $307 on the AA/US and avoid redeyes.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
If you can swing it with carry on only you can book LAX-DCA-PIT for $307 on the AA/US and avoid redeyes.
Thanks! I wouldn't mind, but my AA/US profile clearly indicates I live in DC. What if they charge me the difference in fare for the missed leg?

I do only plan to do carry-ons.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
on a one-time basis, hidden city or throwaway ticketing most likely won't hurt you

that said, there are a bunch of FT threads where the pros and cons of situational ethics are bandied about at great length ... some of the holier-than-thou posts are actually pretty entertaining
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
While no one can be certain of whether airfares on a specific route will rise or fall over the next few weeks, I expect them not to get cheaper. If it were my trip I'd book it ASAP.

A quick search shows that LAX-DCA is available on the 28th starting at $265 on Virgin America.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:21 pm

If the weather is bad you will not travel, or pay through the roof to travel days later. Best to book now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.