Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the silliest/simplest/most frivolous reason you have ever traveled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the silliest/simplest/most frivolous reason you have ever traveled?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: NWA, UA Silver. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Late 80's in Toronto. At the usual Friday afternoon decompression session with some colleagues the conversation drifted to how much better the bars were in Montreal and that they stayed open later. A plan formed, cabs were hailed to the airport, tickets purchased and 8 of us were drinking on St. Laurent until the wee small hours. Caught the first flight back to Toronto the next morning.
I know its not a contest, this gets my vote.

my friends and I have talked about doing just this before. Glad to read its actually happened. ^
Old Dec 8, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
I was just reminded, for the safety video!

Last year we were booked on flights but my hubby had me change the departure date so he could see the soon to be just released NZ Hobbit safety video.

Apparently seeing Betty White's (I think it was Betty) safety video 5 times in 3 days was too much to bare and when he was told the new video was going to be released on the next day, I paid a fee to change flights.

My co-worker is fond of saying that myself and hubby have run out of things to do, if this is what we get excited about.

Last edited by Osmo; Dec 8, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Probably not THAT exceptional, flew BRU-JFK-BRU B747/200 Sabena with wife and 7 year young boy to attend marriage of wife best friend, dinner was in Top of the World WTC tower, left Friday, flew back Sunday night, had to work Monday morning.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
[QUOTE=flipstah;23963510]That fits neither of the criteria in the title.

I mean, if you really need it...

The struggle is real.

QUOTE]

So, you're saying that being bored or for booty is not a silly or frivolous reason? It therefore must be a serious and necessary reasons?!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: LH HON
DEN-SAN-NRT for a call of booty.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AA
I'm about to book a flight and hotel 1,200 miles away to complete a mandatory 20-minute CPR refresher training.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by ckx2
DEN-SAN-NRT for a call of booty.
that's supposed to be frivolous?

For me it was hopping on a plane ZRH-LHR for a birthday party, flying back and at ZRH switching planes to fly accross the continent in the other direction to OVB via SVO for a christmas party.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by backprop
I'm about to book a flight and hotel 1,200 miles away to complete a mandatory 20-minute CPR refresher training.
We have a winner.

Meanwhile, I just booked a flight from Canada to see the Malaysian Grand Prix.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
So, you're saying that being bored or for booty is not a silly or frivolous reason? It therefore must be a serious and necessary reasons?!
Booty call is a necessity; therefore it is not silly, simple, nor frivolous.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flipstah
Booty call is a necessity; therefore it is not silly, simple, nor frivolous.
It can be silly when you realized you've flown a long way to spend time with someone you actually don't like that much.

I remember going to Michigan for a weekend with a girl I'd met earlier that month at my brother's wedding. Oh the regrets. Regrets = silliness.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:22 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My number one reason to visit China was a ride aboard the Shanghai Maglev as well as some of their high speed rail lines.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP (3M), UA1K, and so many others
Delete

Last edited by jtjackson; Mar 29, 2016 at 3:43 pm Reason: Delete
Old Dec 10, 2014, 1:48 am

I recently drove from New Jersey to West Palm Beach and flew back just to get executive status on National car rental, using the cheap Florida Drive In rate and a $18 flight from PBI-IAD
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by grbflyer
I know its not a contest, this gets my vote.

my friends and I have talked about doing just this before. Glad to read its actually happened. ^
+1 I would vote for the safety video but that was a rearranged flight rather than a decision to fly at all.

I think backprop probably wins the most ridiculous award though - I don't think CPR can really be described as frivolous
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Years ago I worked at a car dealership running their rental car department. The used car department had bought a 12 passenger van in Newburgh, NY and needed it delivered to Durham. Their drivers were apparently terrified of flying and getting the vehicle was going to mean sending two of them in a car to Newburgh, paying for a hotel, then having them drive the car and the van back. I volunteered to fly up to Newburgh and drive it back for the company.

It ended up being a lot of fun, they bought me a US ticket RDU-PHL-SWF, paid me overtime and reimbursed my meals. I got a day out of the office and some free miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.