Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the silliest/simplest/most frivolous reason you have ever traveled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR

Anyone ever hop on a plane and go anywhere for such a simple or frivolous reason that your friends thought you were crazy?

Started thinking about this a few months back when I flew to a college volleyball game, and was explaining to one of the players in the gate area since we happened to be on the same flight home that I opened the Southwest card for the signup bonus and used it to fly to the two volleyball games. After the whole miles and points churning manufactured spend never carry a balance explanation I think I confused them because they had a blank look, then I asked them if they think I am crazy for collecting a credit card signup bonus just to fly to a volleyball game and they said, "Maybe a little."

I have traveled to volleyball and soccer games as far away as Hawaii and Ireland, but in those places I also did some side trips and sightseeing on the side so I can't really say I went there only for a sporting event even though that was the reason I went there in the first place.

However a few months back my multi city trip for the earlier mentioned volleyball games really consisted of fly to SLC, train to Orem, go to the hotel, go to the game, go back to the hotel and make my way back to SLC, board a flight to SEA, hang around the hotel there, see the game, and go home. Really did nothing else but fly to Seattle and Salt Lake city to watch two womens college volleyball games.

Anyone ever done anything similar? I remember reading information about Cordelli after he had passed that him and his wife once flew a transcon I think it was for a housewarming party for some friends in California, then took the redeye home that night. So I know there are other people here that have traveled for simple things that most other people would consider you crazy for doing and I know I am not alone.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I flew back to New Zealand last year specifically so that I could visit a particular fish & chip shop that I was missing. 19 hours of travel each way just to have junk food. It was soooooo worth it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Many times I have flown a route just to fly on the type of aircraft operating it. Last time I did this was London City to Edinburgh for a flight on an Embraer 190, spent 3 hours at destination before the return flight.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I have gone to Germany several times in late November or December just to visit my favorite Christmas markets. Completely worth it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond

Flew nyc-tok for dinner
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
To see a movie.

We are flying to NZ on Wednesday for a midnight/premier showing of the new Hobbit movie.

MY husband owes me, big time!

Also flew to China on a whim so I could see/hold a panda bear.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: WN or DL; Hyatt or Wyndham
Do mileage runs count? I did one long before I knew what they were (and before this site, and before the internet).

In the early 90s I lived in NJ and flew PHL-JFK-PHL on consecutive weekends (nested RTs) for no reason at all...other than to take advantage of some miles promotion that TWA was having at the time, that eventually got me to Europe for the first time!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Osmo
Also flew to China on a whim so I could see/hold a panda bear.
Don't mention this to my wife or else we'll be on a flight to China tomorrow.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
You all fly for a reason? That's just odd to me Ok I guess just for the miles is not silliest/simplest/Most frivolous? Well my first mini vacation runs as a beginner were flying BOS-PDX for 1 night to see a band.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
I flew back to New Zealand last year specifically so that I could visit a particular fish & chip shop that I was missing. 19 hours of travel each way just to have junk food. It was soooooo worth it.
I did the same. I went to Sydney to go to breakfast with some friends, a surprise birthday thing, then headed home on the afternoon flight.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Don't mention this to my wife or else we'll be on a flight to China tomorrow.
We went to Chengdu. Food was fabulous, holding baby pandas and then spending a couple of mornings watching them play, as the ad says, "priceless".
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I flew RNO-IAH for a BBQ.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:17 pm

LA to see troubies.

www.troubie.com

Funniest plays I have ever seen, bar none. They take a Shakespeare or holiday play and mangle it with popular music.

for example:

Fleetwood MacBeth
A Midsummer Saturday Night Fever Dream
Hamlet, the artist formerly known as Prince of Denmark
etc.. you get the drift.

In fact, I'm going again in December to see "The Snow Queen" and I'm SO looking forward to it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Osmo
We went to Chengdu. Food was fabulous, holding baby pandas and then spending a couple of mornings watching them play, as the ad says, "priceless".
I am very curious to know how you arranged this. Can you just point me to the organization or website through which you booked this trip? If I could surprise my wife with this opportunity, well, that would indeed be priceless! Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I went to one of the pre-opening trials for LHR T2. After that finished I felt a bit odd being at an airport with no plane to catch. So I joined another FTer on an impromptu trip to DUB - at least he had an excuse for going (TP run).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.